RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
parker

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by parker »

I read somewhere a new hoarding was supposed to be going up around the site, I imagined that would be one of the first perceptible differences we would have noticed to the site. Let's hope this is it now and there are no more delays to this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My information is that the owners have committed to restoring the structure of the building and making it smart and weatherproof. They will then remove the hoardings so it stands proud and empty until a pub operator moves in and fits it out.

As the rebuild will cost more than a few bob we can only hope the owners will want to recoup the cost in a sale or rental income asap. There are certainly a number of pub operators ready to deal.

I presume that the completion of works and removal of hoardings will also allow the retail properties to be let and opened which will be a major achievement and bring life back to Cobbs Corner. But, as folks have already pointed out, don't believe it until you see it. And if you see it, pinch yourself!

Admin
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Great to see something going on at last!

Anyone know, or heard any rumours, what likely businesses the retail units will be?

I might get shot down for this, but I think a Nero, Costa etc would work....
parker

Post by parker »

If Costa are stupid enough to open in Catford, 2 in fact, then they might decide on Sydenham. Though I doubt it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Why is opening in Catfrod considered foolish? Plenty of 'professionals' live there, and work there. Assuming that it's only white collar workers who drink crappy burnt coffee made from crappy robusta beans, that is. No, but seriously, it's a strange snobbery.

Anyway, the Costa in Next at Bell Green does pretty well. One at the other end of Sydenham will probably do okay too. I don't think they'll be competition to our existing coffee shops which provide atmosphere and (in most but not all cases) decent coffee. People are quite tribal about their coffee, sticking to the place try like. There is a Nero and a Costa virtually beside each other in Beckenham.

Back to the Greyhound: with the pub in front, how prominent will the shop fronts be? Which is the one Sainburys had earmarked? I think they could safely go to the back, with a sign sticking out to show where they are. Retailers here will rely on people knowing they are there.

Shops relying more on passing trade, or people driving past and going: Oh look, there's a Costa there, might find these units less attractive.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rachael

I do have frequented the Catford Costa on the way to the Hospital . Much nicer coffee than the hospital coffeeshop and opens longer hours.

Re Greyhound. What a sorry saga. Cannot believe someone at the Council could not have put serious pressure on the esteemed builders a long long long time ago.

This is simply too little far too late.

However we are where we are and must hope at last the council have firm guarantees ( strange they never had them before ).
It will be nice when and if the area does not look like a building site . However cannot help thinking heads should roll.
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Purelake have just arrived on site (7:20am).

That's two weeks running...
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

biscuitman1978 wrote:Purelake have just arrived on site (7:20am).

That's two weeks running...
Wow......I think I need a drink!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Why don't we raise a glass eh?

Perhaps we should gather outside at morning rush hour (they'll have clocked off by the evening one) holding a banner saying:

"Toot your horn for The Greyhound. Toot your horn for Purelake"

After all, there's been enough criticism so why not a few Three Cheers now to show our appreciation and encouragement?
sydres

Post by sydres »

I would rather wait until the building is finished before I celebrate - we have a long way to go yet...
Pally

Post by Pally »

sydres wrote:I would rather wait until the building is finished before I celebrate - we have a long way to go yet...
I agree
Maria

Post by Maria »

I will definitely be raising a glass inside, on the very first (opening) night. Wouldn't it be amazing if it actually happened? I am almost getting excited now I have to confess....
Thorpian

Post by Thorpian »

[quote="mosy"]

"Toot your horn for The Greyhound. Toot your horn for Purelake"
yes, but the horn wont be heard for at least 5 years.
I must admit to being amazed that finally Purlake have decided to start to honour a long standing commitment , and we are celebrating. Celebrate when its opened as a pub.
mosy

Post by mosy »

To be honest, I was thinking more about cheering the workers on. It could seem somewhat gloomy to work on a building where the only comment is a grudging "About time too!". We cheer our favourite sports team from the opening whistle don't we? Well right now, they're our favourite team :)

As to when it's fitted out to open as pub seems to be outside and beyond what Purelake are required to do, being to get the building built and weatherproof in readiness. I'll have died of thirst by then probably ;) Glasses and cheers now!
Thorpian

Post by Thorpian »

Yes thats a fair point re the workers, it cant be much fun to be moaned at by passersby , because of something well beyond their control
Lets hope they get good weather and crack on with it
however my disgust with Purelake is unchanged
perryman

Post by perryman »

A programme of work has now been agreed between the Council and Purelake that includes carrying out repair works to the building fabric including replacing the fractured lintels above the windows. A new roof will be constructed and windows installed to ensure the building becomes weatherproof. Once the new roof is in place the current timber second floor will be removed and a new floor installed so that it is above the top level of the windows.

Building Control will be monitoring the work to ensure the structure is rebuilt in accordance with current regulations. Purelake have said they will clear the external areas so that they are “neat and tidy” including removing the site hoarding once the building is repaired.
Re-reading this (renewed) commitment, does it actually meet the requirement for a "full restoration to create a self-contained Use Class A3/A4 unit in the centre of a new public square" - the one Lewisham/Purelake signed up to?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems to me that purelake may have agreed to make the building externally presentable in return for Lewisham releasing their last restriction on the shopping units.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

https://mailers.propelleremail.co.uk/ma ... kqnqeabdzd

While you are waiting... The Woodhouse is re opening this Friday at 5 pm. Complimentary drink . Looks great and a lovely garden.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Oh my goodness.... does it really look like that??! It's amazing....

(imagine the greyhound one day looking a bit like it - I really just can't wait...)
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Head of Planning confirms that Lewisham has received the application for the conservatory and external stairs. They will seek to deal with this urgently whilst, at the same time, seeking to ensure that all parties have been engaged in the detail and had the opportunity to contribute their views.

In the meantime, he has been speaking to Purelake's agents BPTW about progress and understand that three Purelake staff were on site all last week other than one day, site clearance and tidying has taken place, the gables have been removed, insulation work has commenced, staff welfare facilities have been provided on site, scaffolding and weather protection has been installed, a cage has been provided for the carpenter and carpentry/roof work will commence next Tuesday 26th. Lintels are also currently being sourced. He has been advised that as of Tuesday next week there will be a greater presence on site now that the preliminary works have taken place and local residents should therefore see much more obvious progress from Tuesday
mosy

Post by mosy »

As I've said, I'm in the Rah! Rah! camp just now, far more so than when the token scaffolding was erected around New Year time. Let's hope the current impetus continues apace.