Am I up to date with forum changes?

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
mosy

Am I up to date with forum changes?

Post by mosy »

I seem to remember that one could scroll over a post and see if the poster was open to receiving private messages. Is that still so or have I just forgotten when (which screen) the envelope symbol shows?

Also, I "think" that sometimes I open a sub-forum, read all the new posts or mark as read, yet on refresh it still shows unread posts (that I've already read). I usually open in a new window, close it after "read", then refresh the main index which still shows unread posts (which are ones I have read) if opening in new window makes any difference. Don't think I'm going dotty - no answers on postcards please ;)
Rachael

Re: Am I up to date with forum changes?

Post by Rachael »

When I'm looking at your post, if I hover my mouse on your post, I can see an envelope icon for PMs in the panel on the right. It disappears when I move my mouse away.

I sometimes find it takes a few refreshes to get the New Posts page to show that I've read a post.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Ah, thanks Rachael re PM envelope. I usually have pages narrowed so as to fit multiple windows on screen at the same time, so I'd truncated the envelope column (which typically on websites is only adverts). It is indeed still there if I widen the screen, or reduce the size (I usually use Ctrl+ or Ctrl- respectively which works for me re that). Thanks.

Maybe it takes a minute or two for refreshes to catch up? I don't remember this forum needing that but maybe it's just me. I don't think I've become impatient, but I do remember a website manager, forget which, ages ago saying that it really doesn't help (the server or whatever technical thingy) to keep "mashing" (the word he used) by keep hitting the button. So I guess if anyone else if finding this, don't "mash" - patience is a virtue.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

How can I see PMs on my iPad....there is no button so I can't access them...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Steveofsyd wrote:How can I see PMs on my iPad....there is no button so I can't access them...
Do you mean to send a PM? On the iPad, you need to go to the box on the right of the post, with the poster's info. There is a small grey up arrow. Tap on that and hidden buttons for PM, Quote and Report will reappear.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

as far as I can tell, the new posts are there untill you log out, and when you log back in again it picks up any new posts since you last logged in. Therefore if you log in, and there are two pages of new posts, and you log out accidently before reading them all, when you log back in, you'll only get new posts since the previous log in.

Surely if you stay logged in it should auto refresh every once in a while though.