Local Knowledge

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
emmiedee

Local Knowledge

Post by emmiedee »

Hi guys! I'm looking at buying a flat in the Sydenham/Lower Sydenham area and noticed some nice flats for sale on Meadowview Road at the bottom end of Sydenham. Does anyone know what the road's like? Looks like a good buy, nice garden!
user100

Post by user100 »

On a point of information:

Are you sure that's in Sydenham?

Isn't it SE6?

Is that Catford?

(I stand to be corrected here!)
emmiedee

Post by emmiedee »

Ah, yes it is SE6, it's within walking distance to Lower Sydenham train station and it is being marketed by Acorn Estate Agents Sydenham. Theoretically Catford but closer to Sydenham... and probably because it is in that grey area it is a bit cheaper than properties half a mile up the road which could go in my favour!!
user100

Post by user100 »

Just as long as you are aware of the actual (not theoretical) postcode and name of the area.

I still think its naughty of them to call it Sydenham if its SE6 and in Catford.

And yes, I think it will be cheaper than the average properties which ARE in Sydenham, although at the borderline roads it prob won't make much difference.

If it is NOT cheaper than the average of those half a mile up the road then I would be wary.

Good luck with the home hunt!
poppy

Local info

Post by poppy »

I would say that road was in Bellingham or Catford. It's no where near Sydenham! I think the fact that the Sava Centre says it's in Sydenham has added to some confusion, or the estate agents are trying it on a bit here!
user100

Post by user100 »

erm, Poppy, it IS *near* Sydenham.

Let's not get carried away.
simon

Post by simon »

Love those estate agents :), Probably marketed as Sydenham borders. Stiil those of us who love in Sydenham proper should take it as a compliment I suppose.
emmiedee

Post by emmiedee »

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad we are establishing what is and what isn't Sydenham... It was my assumption that it was Lower Sydenham as that would be the train station I would use to commute to London, no mention of it being Sydenham on the details so the estate agents haven't been that bad!! Geographically the property is closer to the Sydenham branch than the Catford branch... I've done a little background research today on the road and it appears to be quite nice! There's even a local authority allotment with a comparatively low waiting list so a bit of local green space as well. Have since found out through a friend of a friend who lives on that road that there are quite a lot of long term owner occupiers ie 30 years plus which is quite positive! If you do have any knowledge of the road itself I would be interested to hear. maybe if I move there I could set up a "Lower Sydenham 'near Sydenham' Bellingham and with a Catford postcode" forum.....!
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think you will find that the bottom end of Sydenham/Catford is actually Blackheath Borders these days and the top end is Dulwich Borders!!!!!

:lol:
poppy

local knowledge

Post by poppy »

Yes, after I examined the map a bit more closely, after my post, I discovered that it was not that far Bell Green! But I would still say it was Bellingham, the railway line looks like a divder to me and that area has a very different feel to it. I know I have seen the Perry Hill, with a Sydenham address, a Catford postcode, and claimed as in Forest Hill by the Forest Hill Forum. There are some big 'grey' areas I think...
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Sainsburys says it's in Sydenham because it is. It has an SE26 postcode. What more do you need?
jackieboo

hmmmm tricky one

Post by jackieboo »

My sister lives in Overdown Rd which is Bellingham SE6, a couple of roads away and as an old Sydenhamite I would always refer to that part as Bellingham~(up the hill). I've never addressed anything to her as Sydenham or Catford.

I lived in Kent House Road right on the border of Lewisham and Bromley Council which was always confusing. We were Sydenham SE26.

I've always thought of Savacentre to be in Bell Green (as it's on the old gas works- and how they managed to put a supermarket on contaminated ground I'll never know).
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

But isn't Bell Green just an area of Sydenham, like Peak Hill or the Thorpes, or even Lower or Upper Sydenham? It isn't a postal address or a ward of Lewisham.
poppy

Local knowledge

Post by poppy »

Postcodes do not always correspond with areas you know. I know somone who lives next to Penge East station with a SE26 postcode, now is that Penge or Sydenham?
jackieboo

ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Post by jackieboo »

who knows :) I live in Old Coulsdon which officially doesn't exist. I get mail addressed to here but apparently we should put Coulsdon on it. And it's in the Borough of Croydon which is a London Borough but my address is Surrey???????

Very confusing.
emmiedee

Post by emmiedee »

Hi there! As it turns out I have the opportunity to move away from London with work so can't go ahead with this anyway!! Nevermind, we had a heated debate which is what it's all about. My friends lived in Didsbury Manchester very close to the border with Burnage and if someone wrote the address as Burnage the postman used to cross it out and emphatically write 'Didsbury'. (Or was it the other way round?!) Anyway one area was quite posh and the other may have been called 'up and coming' or not even that. What was quite clear is that the postman must have lived in the posh bit!! People are funny though. I suppose as long as you live in an area with good neighbours, who cares what the postcode is?!!
Thanks for your comments on this!