Cator Estate

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
RMM

Cator Estate

Post by RMM »

Hello!

My partner and I are in the process of buying a house in Penge (moving from a flat in Sydenham), the house has a number of restrictive covenants benefitting the Cator Estate.

Is there anyone on here who is (or has been) in a similar position? We're looking to understand what would happen should we wish to extend the property or convert the loft.

Our conveyancer has recommended that we gain consent from the Cator Estate before exchange of contracts - but time is rapidly depleting and we're keen to get a move on.

Any tales or leads much appreciated.

RMM
Bovine Juice

Re: Cator Estate

Post by Bovine Juice »

Hi

I don't know the answer but if you're a Facebook user the fb group Penge Tourist Board has about 3000 users and I bet somebody will know.

P
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Interesting. What are they. I have a few funny little restrictions on my lease, like no singing in the garden after 23:30 - 11:29 no problem I guess...
katvg

Post by katvg »

Hi

Basically back in the days of lovely Estates etc, restrictive covenants were put on land. Many properties are subject to them, the majority are obsolete, but some are not. The Cator Estate is one such "beneficiary" that still actively deals with enforcing its restrictive covenants.
Should you wish to do any further development on your property, Cator Estate will effectively require you to enter into a Deed consenting to the works and they usually require a fee to be paid for doing so.

You could just complete on your purchase and when the time comes to do any works, deal with them then. I don't understand why your conveyancer is suggesting to get consent now if time is of the essence for you and you aren't actually planning any immediate works (my assumption).

I'm involved in property law and the types of above issues, so do speak with some knowledge if that provides you with some comfort.
all the best.
RMM

Post by RMM »

Many thanks all for your replies! Hugely appreciated!