Brown and Green (AKA Mayow Park Cafe): Fab!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Steveofsyd

Re: Brown and Green (AKA Mayow Park Cafe): Fab!!

Post by Steveofsyd »

Currently i feel that few actually come in to Sydenham to shop and a great many of the residents go outside for their shopping and entertainment.
I'd guess that most of the disposable income that would benefit the high street goes to our surrounding "villages".
Once we reverse that trend, we will have the high street that people want..
I'm happy to support our new enterprises and hope that there will be more to create some variety and vibrancy which is sorely needed.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Steveofsyd wrote:Currently i feel that few actually come in to Sydenham to shop and a great many of the residents go outside for their shopping and entertainment.
If this is the case, how come all the shops on Sydenham Road seem to trade perfectly healthily? Someone must be shopping there.

i agree, the high street needs more variety. But variety is just that, a mix of retail. People don't seem to notice the mix in other areas, just the 'desirable' shops and eateries.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I don't think they do all trade perfectly healthily!
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I think you'll find that a lot if them scrape by...
It is certainly not a prosperous high street generating a surplus for investment and expansion.
I suspect that if you compare the turnover of Beckenham and Crystal Palace with Sydenham, we come up short.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Possibly. I'm no expert. But my point stands - we need a mix, and pound shops etc have a role on even the most desirable of high streets.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

I don't think our high st can improve that much as we have too many betting shops/cash cheque places all in a row at the moment.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Exactly Sugahill.....
Rachael...we have too many of one and not enough of the other so its not currently a good mix.
Beckenham and Crystal Palace are the right mix as can be seen by the trade they do....that peaks volumes.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

No, I agree, it's not currently a good mix. What I said is that we need to move towards a better mix. But not eliminate shops that people actually use just to make Sydenham a 'destination'. Thassorl.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Rachael wrote:No, I agree, it's not currently a good mix. What I said is that we need to move towards a better mix. But not eliminate shops that people actually use just to make Sydenham a 'destination'. Thassorl.
I agree Rachel, A high st needs to still be a high st.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

sugahill cafe wrote:I don't think our high st can improve that much as we have too many betting shops/cash cheque places all in a row at the moment.
Although one bit the dust recently...
McKay.jemma

Post by McKay.jemma »

My husband and I had brunch at Brown and Green this morning and loved it. We we weren't able to sit outside as it was busy but there was plenty of room inside, service was efficient, food came quickly and was very tasty! A lovely new addition to Sydenham. We will be going back soon.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Steveofsyd wrote:I think you'll find that a lot if them scrape by...
It is certainly not a prosperous high street generating a surplus for investment and expansion.
I suspect that if you compare the turnover of Beckenham and Crystal Palace with Sydenham, we come up short.
Maybe, but isn't Beckenham notorious for having some of the highest rents in the country? And a few independent shops there have closed in recent months.
parker

Post by parker »

Can anyone tell me what time this place is open till today (Sunday)?

Thanks
pip

Post by pip »

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Love this place, the setting. great for people with kids etc (the music is a bit loud sometimes though).
Pally

Post by Pally »

The food is great! Agree with Lee about the music though! :shock:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think music can be a real spoiler in eateries . I haven't heard it in the mayow cafe but my one experience in the bridge house was spoilt in that way - basically it felt like the management had devolved decisions about ambience and customer experience to a the bar staff - after spending thousands creating a popular environment .
I also think some of the prices in the mayow cafe exceed " no such thing as cheap food " ( agree with ) and nudge into " if you worry about spending £3+ on a brownie then you may need to review your sourcing options " .
I love having a nice place in the park but I do hope it doesn't price ordinary people out - most people just wanted to be able to buy a decent coffee and a bun and after a 20 year wait it would be a slap in the face if pensioners and anyone on a low income couldn't enjoy it too
A very good evening
Nigel
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

as far as I know, the only music is Florence, one of the waitresses, who sings, on a Monday lunchtime. She's rather good.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The singer (Florence) is fantastic. No issue there.

But they also play music on a stereo in the background, sometimes it's a little loud.

I think it's good value for the quality of the food. Tea is £1.50 if you eat in. An Americano is £1.90 to take away. The scrambled eggs with Feta, Chilli and Coriander are amazing (I've started doing mine like this at home) and the bread they use is top notch. I'd rather pay a little more and get something I really like that feels like a real treat than pay less and get 'just food'. I can do 'just food' at home. There are loads of places locally that do cheaper food and fairly decent fry ups etc.

Variety is good. Not everything has to be cheap as chips and vice versa.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
Not questioning the value , certainly not saying every shouid be cheap as chips , just a plea to make sure that there is a bit of something for everyone . They do have a commanding position in the park and fair play to them and my point is that lots of people would like to have a cup of tea in the park and they shouldn't be priced out . £1.50 may not sound a lot but it is for some .
I certainly think the cafe is a great asset
A very good afternoon ( tea)
Nigel