Guardian's Let's Move To... feature

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Re: Guardian's Let's Move To... feature

Post by alywin »

decchips wrote:What in Dulwich (and I'm guessing you mean Lordship Lane) or Crystal Palace caters for a decent night out?
The new cinema, perhaps? I hadn't realised it had opened until I went past it on the bus the other day.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Weird picture to choose. With all of the lovely housing stock, not exactly representative
Pally

Post by Pally »

The Clown wrote:Weird picture to choose. With all of the lovely housing stock, not exactly representative
I agree! I was trying to work out where it was taken....which considering I've lived in Sydenham for years, is ridiculous! I suspect when someone tells me I'll kick myself for missing the obvious!!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The flats are in Dacres Road and overlook Forest Hill School on one side and Mayow Park on the other.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Does Sydenham have a totem like obvious spiritual focal point to use? I ask this because I don't know what it is rather than any mischief.

Penge has the dinosaurs (they're in SE20) or the Watermans almshouses. S Norwood has the clock tower or the lakes. Upper Norwood has the transmitter or the subway. Catford has the cat. What would you suggest for Sydenham?
parker

Post by parker »

Bovine Juice wrote:Does Sydenham have a totem like obvious spiritual focal point to use? I ask this because I don't know what it is rather than any mischief.

Penge has the dinosaurs (they're in SE20) or the Watermans almshouses. S Norwood has the clock tower or the lakes. Upper Norwood has the transmitter or the subway. Catford has the cat. What would you suggest for Sydenham?
Kwik Fit or Lidl maybe
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Not a bad write-up .. our links to Central London sound good and the mention of the 'cosmopolitan' high street are positive and although the references to suburbia are a bit overdone (we are zone 3), we are told that, actually, Sydenham is far from it. Mayow Park cafe (no surprise - it's great) seems to go down well. It does, though, feel like it's been written by a North Londoner who I misses the point a bit (no mention of recent improvements or a move towards gentrification). Another good example being the quite bizarre choice of photograph. The randomness of those flats is, frankly, beyond belief. But it could have been a lot worse I guess - and generally positive. Forest Hill got the Guardian treatment a couple of years ago and that was equally lukewarm.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

The value of property seems to have been grossly misrepresented.

It suggests that semi-detached houses in Sydenham cost around 1.2 million! That simply is not the case.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would have thought Cobbs Corner would be a central point of Sydenham or the junction of mayow rd and high street .
It's not a bad write - up but Tom dykhoff does seem to be a bit of a t**t and I think his little flights of fancy e.g Sydenham being SO suburban, is a symptom of his twatishness .
Overall I think it sells Sydenham quite well, in spite of that .
A very good evening
Nigel
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Some properties are over a million, prices are crazy everywhere. But it's not the norm, unless you are in the Thorpes, which are silly money. Some houses in Dacres Road are 1.5 Million.

The new flats in the Orb started at about £350k I believe.

Still cheap compared to Forest Hill though.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Bovine Juice wrote:Does Sydenham have a totem like obvious spiritual focal point to use? I ask this because I don't know what it is rather than any mischief.

Well I've just taken a lovely photo of Sydenham Avenue looking down to St Bartholomew's Church which was captured in a beautiful painting by Pissarro (The Avenue, Sydenham) and hangs in the National Gallery I believe. That would have been a much better image of Sydenham. Whilst I have nothing against the flats by Mayow Park they hardly show the best of what Sydenham has to offer.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The flats from the article, aren't they officially in SE23, and therefore Forest Hill?
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Yup - missed that - well spotted, Lee...
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think the postcode changes at the park, so yes, those flats are in SE23. Just.
RachelF

Post by RachelF »

Nearly spat out my coffee over the comments on Woodbastwick...

Sydenham... so close to Crystal Palace and Dulwich?! Funnily I used to say the same when I lived in West Norwood.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

RachelF wrote:Nearly spat out my coffee over the comments on Woodbastwick...

Sydenham... so close to Crystal Palace and Dulwich?! Funnily I used to say the same when I lived in West Norwood.
What's woodsbastwick??