Water Supply Pipe replacement

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
iandavenport

Water Supply Pipe replacement

Post by iandavenport »

Our 1904 house still uses the original lead inlet supply pipe. Over time the pressure seems to be reducing , and we guess that its slowly furring up, and really needs replacing. This of course is going to be tricky as it comes under a Thorpes rubble wall and a hedge into a concrete floor.We assume someone else in Sydenham must have been through this process , Has anyone any experience of this, and is there a contractor anyone would be recommend?
Savvy

Re: Water Supply Pipe replacement

Post by Savvy »

We had a leak under our garden and because of where it was we were responsible. Thames Water recommended someone to us. Can't remember who it was but I remember the first guy offered a deal 'for cash' which I promptly turned down and reported to Thames. They gave us details of someone else and they did the work with very little disruption to my lawn.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

thanks Savvy - Ive tried a couple on the Thames website but got no interest yet - if you can recall who it was id be interested
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If the pipe is faulty it may be covered on your household insurance. Thames Water told us we had to replace ours because it was leaking and our insurance covered it. They have their own contractors and arranged all the works necessary.
iandavenport

Post by iandavenport »

Thanks Rachel - hadn't thought of that angle - just got to find a leak now
mosy

Post by mosy »

In a house not in Sydenham, built in the 1934-ish boom, the mains water pressure wasn't dismal but anything from the header tank in the loft was, so I had a pump installed to affect all taps (i.e. not just for a power shower).

If the mains pressure is lousy (nearest direct feed downstairs tap), you could check if that of your neighbours is as bad. It should be, all else equal, or if theirs is fine, see if you can ask if their pressure on/off turning handle stop cock (usually under a sink) is at maximum or is only turned on half way.

After a water turn-off a couple or more years ago, silt collected (despite running the water until clear once switched on again, as you're meant to, the direct cold feed to my washing machine and dishwater clogged up the filter and thus both conked out. The water board said "nothing to do with us of course", so a plumber cleaned out the filters, including the boiler intake valve. Just wondering if your actual sink outlet taps might be clogged up.

There's a water outage due here on Wednesday - let the fun commence again?