Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights/Beer Rebellion

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stone-penge

Re: Cryptic message on Twitter re Late Knights

Post by stone-penge »

rumour has it a soft opening on Thursday! Get on down!
Pally

Post by Pally »

leenewham wrote:
sugahill cafe wrote:
leenewham wrote:The Penge Tourist Board are great. I don't think it would work here (there is a South Norwood Tourist Board too). There is lots of creative, exciting community based stuff going on in Penge.
Why do you think it would not work here Lee? I think the PTB is great and very supportive of their local businesses.
I think here there will be tensions between the Sydenham Society, Arts Festival and local cllrs which will mean that it will be more difficult to get things done here.

I'm not saying don't do it, I just think it will be more difficult. It's far easier with one body, one head, one vision rather than 3!
I have to agree. I think that sums up the reasons why things seems to develop/stall/develop/stall in Sydenham. But still always worth a try
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

The Alex will be reopening late January.

Thanks for the kind words about the PTB. I'm its Chairman. We set up about 18 months ago because a few of us were fed up grubbing around other area's local forums (including this excellent one) and facebook groups trying to find out what was going on in Penge. We also felt the area needed a kickstart; something to counter the tired old stereotype of a suburban backwater with a funny name. We're pleased with the way it's gone so far.
stuart

Post by stuart »

And good words from me too BJ. You were indeed lucky not to be blessed with so many groups working for your community.

Lee is right on the money that the individual ambitions of our different groups that come and go in Sydenham rarely come together to get spectacular results. Which is surprising for when they do - it works. The #RebuildtheGreyhound campaign did that. OK slowly spectacular but those who had to walk past the wreck for seven years will be for ever thankful.

Stuart
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I don't think there'd be any harm in someone setting up a simple, good-looking magazine-style Sydenham-related website (WordPress or Tumblr) like Penge Tourist Board's. Together with a concomitant Facebook Group.

It seems to me that what the majority of people value most about PTB is the Facebook group, as it allows all and sundry to chat about the high street, local shops & businesses, promote events, advertise things for sale or giveaway etc etc. Essentially it's a community noticeboard and discussion point. (Apologies to Bovine Juice if I'm selling PTB short - I really don't mean to imply that all it is is a Facebook Group of course!)

IMO none of that really needs to be over-thought or over-dramatised; and none of that could possibly offend the Sydenham Society or Sydenham Arts.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Cheers Stuart.

One thing I would say is that when we first set up we did encounter some resistance from certain individuals in existing groups who perhaps saw us a threat.

I won't claim to know what all the different community groups in Sydenham do, but I know that Penge was poorly served by social media and the existing groups were not always effective in reaching out, particularly to the new Pengites who have moved into the area in the last 3-4 years. We had a bit of a battle a year ago managing to ensure that we had an input into local council decisions, when our only apparent mandate was our enthusiasm and a busy Facebook group (about 700 members back then, now over 3100) but the council officer wanted to work with both us and the original formal groups as that was best for Penge, and she was right. Ultimately it comes down to what you want to achieve but ideally you'll work with the existing groups, as we have done, rather than against them. Anyway, best of luck to anyone who attempts it.

Just seen your post, monkeyarms. No offence taken. You're right that most people think the PTB is just a Facebook group. The Board in our name probably assists with that confusion. Although we have delivered some things ourselves (the business awards and social events) we've generally tended to focus more on promoting Penge and providing social media platforms to share news, events, positive views, etc. We've effectively been an enabler to bring people together; usually encouraging those with the skills to deliver things themselves.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Would you both BJ & MonkeyA be willing to come to the 'New Admin(s)' meet next Monday night? Your input and experience would appear invaluable: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13881

A task facing the future admin(s) will be making the online presence in whatever medium more relevant and accessible. Not to mention trying to get more synthesis with all the good people working for Sydenham as the PTB has done in SE20. And, BJ, do you think Late Knights might be a more attractive venue than the Golden Lion?

Maybe we could check that out Thursday night?

Stuart aka Eric :)
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I would have loved to, but unfortunately I've got tickets to see Randy Newman at the Royal Festival Hall. I'd been meaning to get back to you about admin duties though - so this is a good reminder....
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Does anyone know what Late Knights opening hours will be?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I'm guessing but 5 or 5:30 till 11 Monday to Friday and open from 12 on Saturday is likely. Think those are the times for the Gipsy Hill one, which is comparable.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Thanks.
Search East

Post by Search East »

They've updated their website home page! :)

Sydenham_BR

Beer Rebellion Opening!!

Post by Sydenham_BR »

Hello lovely people Sydenham!

Just a little note to let you know we're going to opening on Thursday 22nd at 5pm!

We're all really excited to be here, especially so close to the Late Knights Brewery!! We can't wait to meet you all, so do pop by and have a chat (over a beer)!

If you have any questions or just feel like getting in touch, you can grab us on sydenhambr@lateknightsbrewery.co.uk

If you fancy joining our team, you can send cvs to that address too!

Look forward to meeting many of you on Thursday!

Beer and best wishes,

Darren, Will and all of the Late Knights team.
natalieh101

Re: Beer Rebellion Opening!!

Post by natalieh101 »

Yay!!!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A very, very warm welcome to Sydenham. Thursday 5pm is in my diary. Hope you have enough room - and beer!

Admin
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Perhaps I am missing something. Where is the location? :mrgreen:
Sydenham_BR

Post by Sydenham_BR »

167 Sydenham Road - where the Marketplace used to be.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Post code is SE26 5HB (you can click this map link: http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=535838 ... hp=ids.srf) but basically walking down from Syd Station, it's on the left a fair few footsteps after Mayow Road.and opposite Trewsbury Road.

I'm wishing the BR well. I'm not a beer drinker, although I did buy a "proper" one in a bottle specifically to make a decent beer batter once and thought I'd better taste it. Big mistake, see there gone, oops. I'm sure the beers on offer will be equally as irresistible :)
Jezford

Post by Jezford »

Boom! This is awesome news. We shall be there then and regularly!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They were working hard on the fit out yesterday.