Living Streets Lewisham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Living Streets Lewisham

Post by Tim Lund »

I learned yesterday that there is now Lewisham group of Living Streets, holding a public meeting 7.30pm 17th November at the Honor Oak Pub. The group doesn't have a website as such, but can be followd on Twitter here

https://twitter.com/lsatlewisham

IMHO, Living Streets are one (of the many) good things in life.

Here's their Chief Executive explanation of what they are about
Right now walking levels are in serious decline. One generation ago over 70% of children walked to school, now that figure is at 46%.

Whilst some towns and cities are beginning to turn things around, the annual National Travel Survey published this week showed no overall improvement. In fact shockingly, it was found that one in five people walk for 20mins less than once a year or never.

We’ve engineered walking out of our daily lives and in its place we’ve created huge problems. We’ve got congestion and pollution. We’ve made longer distance travel the norm for shopping, work and leisure. Most kids no longer play on our streets.

Older people often feel lonely and isolated. Local shops are suffering with less footfall from their neighbourhood. Our physical and mental health is suffering and the costs of this to the NHS are rising dramatically.

But it’s not too late to turn things around

We want to create a walking nation, free from jammed roads and pollution, reducing the danger of preventable illness and social isolation and making walking the natural choice.

We want to speak out because we believe that a walking nation means a better life for everyone.

Our ambition is to encourage people of all generations to enjoy the benefits that this simple act brings and to ensure all our streets are fit for walking.

We can engineer walking back into our lives

So let’s walk forward together. Let’s start a movement about movement.

Progress starts here: one street, one school, one step at a time.
http://livingstreets.org.uk/let%E2%80%9 ... ing-nation

Nigel

Re: Living Streets Lewisham

Post by Nigel »

Tim
Absolutely agree - an excellent objective .
Apart from the individual health benefits it would improve the way our streetscape works - eg catering for people that walk to the shops insread of pike into a 4x4 and also reduce disorder by having more of the community about at any one time .
Although I pollute by driving a car , as much as anyone , the private motor car has ultimately been pretty disastrous for society as a whole and for individuals .

A very good afternoon
Nigel
mosy

Post by mosy »

My only contribution really at this time would be to suggest that pavements should be more user friendly. Sydenham Road is a joy now after the tripping and falling of a decade of lousy pavement. Can that happen if even potholes in roads (and we know cars have priority in budget expenditure) aren't fixed?

Fining pavement parking would help too, which seems to be ignored. I'm talking about the ones half or 3/4s on, not just two wheels over the kerb edge.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy
I agree no excuse for cars or bikes to be on pavements . Should both be heavily fined.

Mind you many pedestrians are now there own worst enemy by staring at a device rather than where they are going.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

the private motor car has ultimately been pretty disastrous for society as a whole and for individuals
@Nigel - that's a little harsh and generic IMHO. The private motor car is undoubtedly overused in cities but it has enabled those living in the country (for example) an element of freedom and mobility not previously allowed. Horses, carts, bicycles and public transport just don't offer the flexibility.

Good common sense and hard to argue against any initiative to encourage walking as the default mode of transport
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

@sydenham - i was speaking overall and on balance - you could say the motor car has enabled people to move to the country that have no business there - eg they work from home on a computer , they shop in the nearest big town and their kids are driven miles to school . What are they contributing ?
It's tough too on poorer people in the country who don't have a car ( there are lots ) and buses are cut as not the demand .
I would miss driving down the A31 to Dorset , don't get me wrong , but my point was the world in general would be a safer , cleaner , more sociable and friendlier place .
I do think we should recognise the dirtiness of cars by putting them in their place to some extent - when I see a car on pavement , in a park ( seen it in mayow ) or a bus lane I d o feel we shouid be tougher . There is this sense of " we all do it , where would we be without our car " - this is nonsense and millions of Britons don't own or have access to a car - they just put up with the very considerable downsides .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nigel
I agree some people require cars most do not.

A good start is to take away license for elderly drivers. I think 70 a good cut of point. As I know one gets a lot slower in old age.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Eagle
You'd save more lives by raising the starting age - to say 21 - I think a lot of older drivers lack the instincts that cause most accidents : agression , competitiveness and poor decision making - even if the odd older chap is found going the wrong way down a motor way , it's done in a covish and amiable way .
How about a huge financial incentive to relinquish ones driving licence ( age immaterial ) with a 3 month notice period to reinstate it ? That way one would be rewarded for not polluting / crashing / mowing down pedestrians - surely all of those things carry a huge financial cost and therefore a saving if reduced ?
I propose this " Clarkson Premium " right now with Sydenham as a test bed . I would even go as far as suggesting those ADHD quad bike / scooter drivers that are currently terrorising sydenham like giant babies on wheels ?
A very pedestrian evening
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nigel
How many 17 to 21 's can afford to insure and own a car. We are given the impression hard up generation.
Insurance for under 21's a small fortune.

Re older drivers , did not an older driver smash into pedestrians recently killing many.
I accept older people drive slower , but that in itself can cause others to have accidents.
In London no reason for anyone with a Freedom Pass to drive. Maybe rural drivers would have different rules.
Pally

Post by Pally »

mosy wrote:My only contribution really at this time would be to suggest that pavements should be more user friendly. Sydenham Road is a joy now after the tripping and falling of a decade of lousy pavement. Can that happen if even potholes in roads (and we know cars have priority in budget expenditure) aren't fixed?

Fining pavement parking would help too, which seems to be ignored. I'm talking about the ones half or 3/4s on, not just two wheels over the kerb edge.
Sadly those pavements are less of a joy because of the awful oil stains where restaurants have dumped bags by litter bins and lampposts and oil has leaked. It looks awful but is also dangerously slippery when wet. There should be a penalty for this if there isn't one already!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

The pavements are slippery when wet even without oil etc.
Pally

Post by Pally »

topofthehill wrote:The pavements are slippery when wet even without oil etc.
True but even more slippery where the oil is! And it looks awful
mosy

Post by mosy »

In the good ol' days, Fullers Earth powder was used to soak up oil (it's a form of powdered clay I think). A sprinkling of bicarbonate of soda powder might work. There'd be no downside that I know of as it is normally foodsafe, but might look like someone had put rat poison down (Yikes, not exactly the promotion of Living Streets, lol) if simply left rather than as part of a clean-up operation.

@ leenhewham (IIRC): Did they sort out that badly placed central island problem in Lower Sydenham?
_HB

Post by _HB »

Tim Lund wrote:I learned yesterday that there is now Lewisham group of Living Streets, holding a public meeting 7.30pm 17th November at the Honor Oak Pub. The group doesn't have a website as such, but can be followd on Twitter here
Living Streets are an excellent organisation and I'd encourage everyone interested to attend.
Nigel wrote:Although I pollute by driving a car , as much as anyone , the private motor car has ultimately been pretty disastrous for society as a whole and for individuals .
Sort of agree and disagree. The car is a brilliant thing, but our over reliance on it, especially in towns and cities is now having profound effects on our public spaces, pollution, health etc etc.

Also agree on pavement parking - Absolutely no excuse. Local authorities and police forces need to do more to restrict parking and properly enforce those restrictions.
Emc

Post by Emc »

Pally wrote:
mosy wrote:My only contribution really at this time would be to suggest that pavements should be more user friendly. Sydenham Road is a joy now after the tripping and falling of a decade of lousy pavement. Can that happen if even potholes in roads (and we know cars have priority in budget expenditure) aren't fixed?

Sadly those pavements are less of a joy because of the awful oil stains where restaurants have dumped bags by litter bins and lampposts and oil has leaked. It looks awful but is also dangerously slippery when wet. There should be a penalty for this if there isn't one already!
I so agree with this. I was just thinking the other day it's a real shame that the lovely new pavements are so stained and damaged after such a short time. It actually looks like oil has been poured into the streets rather than leaking bags as you can see the stream marks on the pavement. I was thinking it might be worth contacting the council about? It's a residential area so the fast food restaurants and the tyre shop etc should be accountable for damage caused.