Sydenham's first Indian and Chinese restaurant/take-away?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Sydenham's first Indian and Chinese restaurant/take-away?

Post by Falkor »

Apparently, before the 1970s, there wasn't such a thing as the above in typical suburban towns. If you're over a certain age group or have studied directories then you may know the very first ones that came to Sydenham/Forest Hill?
jackieboo

I remember

Post by jackieboo »

the Chinese restuarant opposite the Dolphin being there in the early 70's. Not sure if there were any others around then. The Wimpy further up seemed exotic and was a "night out".

I remember the McDonalds opening in Catford in the 70's too thinking how amazing it was at the time.(think it's a noodle place now).

In the 70's if you had a Vesta ready meal you were posh LOL!>

And no-one felt the need to carry around a bottle of BOUGHT water - amazing to think there weren't droves of people collapsing and dying from dehydration just walking from one end of the high street to the top.
Bottled water was only something you had if you had a meal abroad.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

And no-one felt the need to carry around a bottle of BOUGHT water
Yeah, I find that strange, too, but then we live in a strange world where people are brainwashed by their TV screens, and everyone tries to be like everyone else all the time. Somebody thought I was strange for eating kids sweets (the wrapper was designed as such), and I told him that I needed something sweet, and sugar is the same whatever form it comes in. He couldn't seem to get his head round the fact that eating Jelly Beans doesn't make you more childish than eating wine gums. People in this world are so plastic...

When did McDonald's open in Catford? Somebody thought I was strange for ordering a happy meal the other week, but then that's another story, and I only had £2 on my person. :wink:
jackieboo

It was

Post by jackieboo »

either 1974 or 75. If I remember rightly a burger, chips & drink was 75p????

I also went to the first one opened in the South East in Woolwich earlier than that, they still have photos inside of their opening day.

Corrrrrr what an exciting subject on a Thursday morning!!! LOL

When we used to go to the Wimpy in Sydenham (next to what was Woolworths-now Superdrug??) we used to dare each other to order the speciality - a Bender meal! Well it seemed funny at the time.

Paulros' clothes shop was there in 1970 too and looks like it's still going - I think they even have the same canopy. All my friends worked in there and it was "the place" for high fashion.

We still go to the Grill regularly and enjoy the atmosphere in there.

One thing we always notice in Sydenham is the friendliness of the road sweepers! We were freezing our wotsits off the other night waiting for someone and were having a great conversation with him.

Whenever I am in Sydenham I don't know what it is but people always seem to ask me directions to places - I moved away in 1977 - is it because I look like I belong - I hope so.

It's weird as I have a mental picture of the place as I'm shopping or whatever in Sydenham and can't help thinking "that used to be so and so shop didnt it?"........

My sister married the Manager of what used to be Fads there and I used to go in a small pet shop near Newlands Pk just past the post office.

We didn't bother going to Catord or Lewisham as everything was in Sydenham. Having said that though we did used to get the bus to Forest Hill as there was the Smiths there and a school uniform shop.

I have had reason over the past 2 months especially to be in Sydenham as my Dad died in a nursing home there on xmas day and we have been liaising with a local Funeral Parlour there next to the Dolphin. They were fantastic by the way and very courteous and friendly.

On the day he died I drove from Coulsdon to Sydenham in 17 minutes - well on Xmas day there was no traffic - lovely it was. Normally it's almost an hour.