Kirkdale High Street Update!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

Re: Kirkdale High Street Update!

Post by JMLF »

Missed that question/reply Abbey but no idea I'm afraid.

Just a little news for Kirkdale really:

Fig and Pistachio are starting to do small evening events (e.g cheese night), keep eyes peeled for posters in window and their Twitter feed (although I have recommended using the forum to promote too)

Clothes for causes still appear to need volunteers to donate a few hours a week so pop in and enquire if able!

No further news/work on the following seemingly ongoing projects (do correct me if wrong!)
- "Le shakes" sign above previous trade-in/pawnbroker which no-one seems to know anything about(!)
- Old marionette store and planning application for cookery studio/tea rooms
- IBS bakery - empty, for rent
- the windmill has planning application for conversion into 2 smaller cafe/bar/restaurants in front, 2 studios at back and flats above.

Otherwise all is well with eclectic, useful, delicious Kirkdale!

Jon
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Apologies for the slightly incorrect info butttt exciting news! (hopefully).
Was having a tidy up and came across a letter from the council which states (as of approx 2 weeks ago) that planning permission has been GRANTED for change of use of the former marionette shop (and fascia/shutters/other alterations) to a cookery studio.

Fingers crossed those who applied/are setting-up continue with their venture now that approval has been granted.

Sign me up on the first course and in for tea and cakes please!!
biscuitman1978

Kirkdale High Street Update!

Post by biscuitman1978 »

JMLF wrote:Apologies for the slightly incorrect info butttt exciting news! (hopefully).
Was having a tidy up and came across a letter from the council which states (as of approx 2 weeks ago) that planning permission has been GRANTED for change of use of the former marionette shop (and fascia/shutters/other alterations) to a cookery studio.
You're absolutely right! Permission was granted on 30 September 2015. Full details are available to view at http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ (search for 'DC/15/90414', without quotation marks).

And thanks for all the other updates on Kirkdale. Much appreciated.
134_Cookery_Studio

Post by 134_Cookery_Studio »

Hi everyone. Yes, we were so excited to finally be granted permission to open the Cookery Studio at 134 Kirkdale. We are in the process of getting renovations started. Fingers crossed, we are aiming to get going around Feb/Mar. Thanks for the support. xx
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Congratulations. That's really good news. Shame it took so long, look forward to seeing a good, ethical business being run by lovely people who have a passion for what they are doing.
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

Fantastic news, I look forward to the opening!
Holly cat

Post by Holly cat »

Really looking forward to the cookery studio opening it's going to be a fab addition to Kirkdale. Thanks for posting the updates :)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Happy Decemberish all - an update for new openings over the forthcoming months and an event at Alhambra.

Alhambra (Spanish tiles, textiles, lampshades, deli items and other) is having a late night shopping evening on Fri Dec 11th from 6-10pm with 10% off, sangria, music, snacks and giggles (or something to that effect was on the window poster - apologies if I am promoting something that won't be there!)

Mabel's five and dime - A shop selling Vintage Clothes, Accessories, Linen, Fabric & Haberdashery is planning/building to open a permanent residence next to behind the boxes on Kirkdale. They have a lot online in various websites so worth googling for items/info.

As mentioned a few posts previously the cookery studio replacing the old marionette shop will hopefully be up and running in Feb/March. Looking forward to more details and exciting foodstuffs!

Gabby's (carribeqn takeaway) has reopened after a refurb/new management

Willow way plans/developments are noted on the "Willow way" thread with links to a nice pdf of plans for the area to be made into a residential/commercial zone.

Don't think I've missed anything but please post if have!

Jon
MabelsFive&Dime

Post by MabelsFive&Dime »

Thank to JMLF & leenewham for the mentions on this forum. We are hoping to open Mabel's Five & Dime around March, the shop is really coming along inside & I can finally see the light at the end of a long tunnel.

We are the sister business to Maddison's, the eclectic junk shop in West Norwood. Living in Sydenham I'm really looking forward to opening in Kirkdale in the new year & welcoming you all to the shop, hopefully!!

We will be selling vintage clothes, jewellery, table linen & fabric plus mid century pieces including furniture.

We will also hold periodic themed sales, such as our BIG Christmas jewellery sale that we are having tomorrow at Maddison's.

Michelle

For more information about us, you are welcome to check us out on -
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Mabelsfiveanddime/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/mabels5anddime
AlhambraRebecca

Post by AlhambraRebecca »

Thanks for the mention JMLF! Everyone is more than welcome to come and enjoy a glass or two of mulled sangria at our Christmas shopping evening on Friday 11th - and there will also be a raffle for a deluxe paella cooking kit (paella pan, ingredients and recipes) worth around £50! Tickets on sale very soon at Alhambra and also at 161 Food & Drink. Watch out for more nice surprises at both venues on the night! http://alhambrahome.co.uk/pages/special ... ng-evening
Cllr Paul Upex

Post by Cllr Paul Upex »

Sorry for the short notice about this

Come one, come all to the
Kirkdale Christmas Tree Lights switch on.
Saturday 5 December at 5pm.
Meet on the corner outside the old Woodman Pub / the roundabout where Kirkdale meets Dartmouth Road

This is the first time we have had a Christmas Tree in Kirkdale so it would be great if you could come along - singers and musicians are also needed.

Cllr Paul Upex
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I shall be exhausted after the corresponding ceremony at FH station (3.30-5.00)!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Afraid I am away this weekend otherwise I definitely would have been there!
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

I've been kindly asked and reminded that the Bricklayers Arms is part of Kirkdale and alongside being a nice boozer with decent drinks, prices, darts, pool, sports on the box and a sweet heated garden they also host a monthly event:

"United Sound of Sydenham" at the Bricklayers Arms. Its a monthly event, second to last Friday of every month. An event was run in July as part of Sydenham Arts Festival – fundraising and donating to St Christopher’s with other donations to Kelvin Grove Primary.

They encourage local record collectors and DJs to attend the event and if they think they can contribute, then they’ll happily book to come back and DJ.

It’s been running for 12 months and not only has it gone down well with the regulars at the Bricklayers Arms but it has also attracted a lot of new people to pub. They are particularlyproud to have a regular following from people that live in neighbouring areas – areas that are deemed to be a lot more fashionable and happening than Sydenham.

So get involved and contact Dom for any further info:

www.facebook.com/stormwarningbrickent
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

The former bakery has a "agreed let" (or something to that effect)... Excited to see what business may be trading there!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was amazed that none of the bread that is still in their window has gone mouldy!
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

I heard some time ago that it will be connected in some way with 161 Kirkdale, but will continue to be a bakery. Think there were plans for the owner of 161 Kirkdale to take over the bakery as well as continuing with 161 Kirkdale.

Things may have changed since then.
AlhambraRebecca

Post by AlhambraRebecca »

Is anyone still out there? Lots of lovely last minute gifts still available at Alhambra and complimentary mulled sangria all day on Christmas Eve, plus 10% off all Christmas shopping if you mention Kirkdale High Street! Just time to buy a raffle ticket to win a Deluxe 8-10 Person Paella Cooking Kit worth £50! Lots of lovely Frida Kahlo cushions, London bus/taxi/landmark cushions, plus gorgeous scented candles, fabulous Andalucian ceramics, olive oil, honey and much more. Alhambra, 148 Kirkdale, SE26 4BB. 10am-4pm on Christmas Eve. http://www.alhambrahome.co.uk
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Morning all - thought I'd write up a quick update for Kirkdale high street/"village"/other!

The former "doorz", now "the dulwich reclamation" appears fully up and running for a number of needs: reclaimed, refurbished and new furniture, floorboards, doors and furnishings (give or take! - there's a lot offered on the window)

161 have a mega wine tasting coming up - check their website for further info and other events

Mabel's five and dime looks almost set to open (follow their Facebook/Twitter for updates) - next to the other two vintage shops (behind the boxes, granny's goodies) - set to offer vintage clothes, linen, jewellery, furnishings and other.

Foxes has started a pub quiz on a Sunday evening

The Bricklayers arms has is next vinyl revolution (as part of Sydenham arts festival) on Friday 15th - there are small posters around Sydenham for further info.

A new Indian takeaway - "spice club" has opened on the stretch with other takeaways just as Dartmouth road starts. It'll have its hand full with the other excellent indian takeaways nearby (personal shout out to greedy chef, Gurkhas and Himalayan kitchen).

Petite Bouchee (small dining experience French food in a mini van in the beautiful wells park) is still going strong and have expanded to events at nearby locations. They are having a 3 course set menu for £25 at Brown and Greens (book through their website) in Mayow Park every Thursday from now until May 5th

No developments as yet for the former marionette shop (plans were/are to be a cookery studio/tea rooms) or the former bakery.

"Le shakes" is still a mystery with no development

The windmill remains "under offer" on the sign and the estate agent was in there the other day moving a few things.

Apologies if I've missed anything!

Jonathan
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

I saw two people in "Le Shakes" last week measuring up. So maybe something new arriving.