Other Pubs in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Eagle

Other Pubs in Sydenham

Post by Eagle »

I an not surprised there is only one entry against pubs in Syd.
With the exception of The Windmill and The Golden Lion they are an unmittigated disaster area.
A decent well run pub with good beer and food would do a great trade.
activist

Post by activist »

The Dulwich Wood House, which is listed in Sydenham Town's Directory, I always consider Sydenham's premier pub. It has:

* Youngs Beer
* No theming
* Parking
* Lots of outside sitting - great for kids
* BBQ in summer
* Pleasant environment

And the walk home is always downhill. It gets my vote.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dear organiser
I apologise for forgetting the Woodhouse which is without doubt a rose amongst thorns. I often visit them and their no smoking restuarant area is great. Staff also very friendly.
I know it is in between Dulwich and Sydenham but no excuse for my forgetting.
I was really refering to the other motley collection ( Talma , Duke , Woodman , Fox , Brick , Bridgehouse , Dolphin , Man of Kent , 2 halves , prince alfred etc )
As I say left out the Windmill and Golden Lion which do their best.
Some of these pubs have been great in the 70's and 80's
The Woodman in the 70's and the Brick in the 70's and 80's come to mind.
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

agree with whats been said here - mostly bad pubs in sydenaham - if you can count the woodhouse as a sydenham pub it is by far and away the best although in summer i tend to get a bit pested by the abundance of kids and wasps.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Dan
I agree about the kids amd wasps.
To be fair the new management are aware of the kids problem and they are not allowed in the no smoking area at all. Or I assume the smoking area.
It is dificult to stop them going in the garden but I wish parents would show some responsibility to their kids and not let them just charge of and annoy others.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I must confess I haven't been in any of the pubs in Sydenham - as none of them have looked particularly appealling (to a 20-something female)!

I'm kind of pleased to know I haven't been missing out on much, but it is a real shame that when there are so many pubs there isn't a couple more decent ones.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Weeble, see my review of The Greyhound and get yourself there on Thursday evening.
Newman

Pubs in Sydenham

Post by Newman »

Sydenham does seem to be lacking in decent pubs. I live half way between Sydenham and Forest Hill. The latter has seen a number of good pubs/bars spring up in recent years (e.g. the Dartmouth Arms and Latitude) but Sydenham hasn't followed suit. If you don't like smoky boozers, then you're out of luck. A bit more diversity would be nice.
oin

Post by oin »

I'd agree with most of the above. There's a lot of pubs along Sydenham High Street and up Kirkdale but none has ever truly appealled. They're a strange collection and there must be a market for improving one of them ala Forest Hill.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Again, whilst technically in between Sydenham and Forest Hill (though opposite what is classed as Sydenham Police Station) I would like to put a positive word in for the Bricklayers Arms on Dartmouth Road.

Its got decent beer (Youngs) which is not too dear. It plays decent enough music, and it has good staff, and clientele. It even has a pool table you can get a game on, without feeling like you are having a game on someones private table.

It has the feel of an old local, which in this day and age, is something to be treasured.

If you cant be bothered walking up the hill to The Wood House, its a good alternative.

Mine's a pint of Special.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I must have given the Bricklayers the kiss of death or something.

As soon as I had typed that last posting, Gerry, the landlord of the Bricklayers, upped sticks, and has gone to a pub in Tooting.

I have not been in to the pub this week, but I have heard that large plasma screens have been seen being taken in there.

I shall try it out over the weekend (purely for the sake of STF, you understand).
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fishcox,

Just make sure you remain sober enough to come back and type a review!!!!

:lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure I trust Fishcox out on his own within range of the Forest Hill Grockels. Maybe we should have an 'editorial conference' there to come to a more community minded view especially after the excitement of the last couple of days :)

Of course should it be less than perfect we could adjourn to the Dulwich Wood House. Any takers - if so Saturday or Sunday?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Congratulations to Admin,

the first person to get into triple figures in terms of posts ;)

Congratulations, e-mail us and we will send you a Southern summer timetable as your prize!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Adam wrote:Congratulations, e-mail us and we will send you a Southern summer timetable as your prize!
Winner of the Booker prize for fiction?

You are too kind. Well here's another one. What will I win for the first to 200. And will no one buy me a Bricklayer's drink?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Well, booker prize I don't know, Booker cash and carry maybe.

200 = 8 seconds trolley dash around Somerfield ;)