Pianos in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
MagmaTimes

Pianos in Sydenham

Post by MagmaTimes »

Hi all

I've been in the area for just over a year and really enjoy browsing the forums here.

I was wondering if anyone happens to know of any pubs in the area (or surrounding areas) which a have a reasonably well-maintained piano in? My piano is currently in storage as my flat is a little too small to accommodate one so I am looking for an opportunity to practice.

Anyone got any good leads?

Cheers!

Tom
leenewham

Re: Pianos in Sydenham

Post by leenewham »

I'm sure there will let you use them in the Piano shop in Kirkdale. I know they let someone practice from a local shop at lunchtimes in there.

There is a piano near the station at Forest Hill. We were supposed to have one here, but for one reason or another, it never happened (like most stuff in Sydenham!).
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Almost 100% positive there is one in "the hill" bar and restaurant just round the corner in Forest hill - not long after forest hill pools on right side of Dartmouth road.
No idea if for show or in working condition but certain have seen one through window on passing.

Good luck!
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

yes there is one in The Hill, and I've seen someone playing it, though not that recently...
worth asking them.

I wonder how many pianos there are in storage? Probably an increasing persentage as houses get smaller.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi and welcome MagmaTimes.

If you don't find a piano to practise on, have you considered a portable digital desktop one? They are under £100 if don't need all 88 keys, though have to see specs as to whether hammer or only touch sensitive. They don't usually come with a pedal at that sort of price though; they usually have a sustain key.but not exactly the same thing. Some have basic record/playback, but midis (i.e.computer-linked ones) - the world is your oyster for composing etc.

It's amazing how much bang for your buck you get now compared with the first one I bought two decades ago, which I did primarily for space but also having headphones and volume control is a huge bonus. I've just bought a new midi this summer. You can see a selection here if you're at all interested: http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards--Mo ... amaha.html
mosy

Post by mosy »

PS: I've just had a quick look, in case you weren't sure what I was on about.

This one is £79.99 (49 key):
http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... key-49/PFO

This one is £112.00 (61 key):
http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... yboard/W1J

Just examples of what's around of course.
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

Many thanks, Mosy!

Those look great however I really need something with 'proper' weighted piano keys. I did consider the option of buying a digital piano however finances are a little stretched for a good one, at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Will definitely pop into the Hill and see if they are ok with me tinkling the ivories for a bit
Holly cat

Post by Holly cat »

Hi you can message Bryan at the Hill on SE23.com he's a gold member. He's got a lovely baby grand :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi I had a thought that a place in Downham might let you use one of their teaching room pianos, but no go I'm afraid. However, they did tell that if you were to go digital, you should be looking for a "stage piano" which is the best digital emulator of hammer keys (full 88). These start around £400 (up to £000s needless to say), e.g. http://www.dawsons.co.uk/yamaha-p-45-stage-piano-black.

You might already know that; I'm just an ivories tickler rather than a Rachmaninov ;)

Wouldn't mind playing Three Blind Mice on a baby grand though, so fingers crossed for you.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

St Thomas hospital has a piano for anyone to use (follow the signs to Radiotherapy on the ground floor), I don't know what it is, but its big. Anyone can have a play, and anyone does; and they're not always that good so I'm sure staff and patients alike would be happy to hear someone who can play a tune. If you have time on your hands pop along anytime.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I've noticed every time I've walked past it that Sydenham Ink, the tattoo parlour on Sydenham Rd opposite Home Park, has an upright piano and two acoustic guitars out next to it. It never looks busy. Maybe they'd let you have a go
MagmaTimes

Post by MagmaTimes »

cheers for the suggestions! Will definitely give St Thomas' a go!