Moving to the area - secondary advice

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
indigopip

Moving to the area - secondary advice

Post by indigopip »

Hello
We are moving to the area (from Canada Water) and I am excited as I already have a good feel for Sydenham and have bumped into lovely Mums even while house hunting.
The move is largely stemmed from having 2 girls and a really good feeling about Sydenham School.
If I move 0.8 miles from the school does anyone know how realistic my chances of entry will be? (my eldest is only Y4 at the moment).
Of course I understand the banding so it's impossible to know how many girls fall into the same band as my daughter will that particular year but generally am I in with a good chance?
I REALLY want to move to the area but in 2 years time to be stuck for secondary scares me. I guess if you don't get your first choice you are already bottom of the list for you 2nd?
Any advice appreciated.
Rachael

Re: Moving to the area - secondary advice

Post by Rachael »

I can't comment on Sydenham School's catchment, but I do know the application system was changed some years ago so the schools don't know where they ranked in your choices. All applications are treated equally.
michael

Post by michael »

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/ ... x#Sydenham

4km, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Sydenham is a great school. Had a new but experienced HT in September so promising chance it will continue in the same vein! 0.8 miles is a pretty safe bet for getting in there on past history of admissions.