Doorz

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kez

Doorz

Post by Kez »

It looks like Doorz on Kirkdale has closed and work is underway on the building. Does anyone know what is planned?
FromCtoShiningC

Re: Doorz

Post by FromCtoShiningC »

Oh - I didn't know - thanks for the heads up. What kind of work is underway?
Kez

Post by Kez »

It's been emptied out and looks like they have been doing the floors.
biscuitman1978

Doorz

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Kez wrote:It's been emptied out and looks like they have been doing the floors.
...or should that be 'floorz'? :wink:
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is a shame, although recently we wanted some doors (doorz) and tried to contact them. We went there (no-one in), called (no answer), emailed (no reply), texted (got one rely asking to send what we had already sent with full details and sizes) but couldn't get a quote for love or money.

We used the extremely local and excellent Freeborne Carpentry who did a great job instead.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Lee - do you know if Freeborne do front doors as well? Ours is both oversized and skew-whiff (or rather the house is). Dawes in Forest Hill gave us an eye watering quote for a custom job as few years ago.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They did mine, very pleased with it.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The chap who ran 'Doorz', had an arrangement with the owner of the property, which seems to have come to an end.

To say 'Doorz' had Mixed-Reviews, would be a compliment. Of the handful of people I met who had dealings with them, none of them were satisfied with the work or (lack of) communication.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

leenewham wrote:They did mine, very pleased with it.
Thanks for that info, Lee.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

I have just this minute spoken to the Doorz man. The shop is being refurbished and will re-open in 2-3 weeks.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

The Doorz man is called Jim if he's the same person I knew as running the place - big chap - often known as 'big Jim' - used to have a St Bernard or dog of similar size / style - i.e Big.

Surprised if he's renovating the place - I thought he'd sold the business
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Rachael wrote:
leenewham wrote:They did mine, very pleased with it.
Thanks for that info, Lee.
I wouldn't go near the place in Forest Hill - dreadful.

I would recommend Ryan Smith - 07962 385294

He's done a lot of work on our street - traditional Victorian door fronts.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just walked past this morning and must say its looking very nice and although obviously people will have opinions on names and storefronts etc I think the name lettering looks very nice/smart - worth having a look Lee! - and the ?new name of "The Dulwich Reclamation" or "Dulwich Reclamation" (can't remember) I'm sure will serve the business well.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

The shop looks fab. The biz name of Dulwich Reclamation in Sydders is genius; here's someone not letting themselves or their business be defined by a mere postcode! Beautifully painted and great sign-writing. Looks super smart.

Anyway, based on all of the same sort of stuff going back in, and the very full workshop out the back I would guess its still Jim. He has a great furniture place on Church Road in Crystal Palace; great hand-crafted bits. I've always found him really helpful and he did a great, efficient dipping of our doors when we first moved in (some 10 yrs ago). And when I was running the high street regen project he leant us doors, and I know he was super helpful when the guys at 161 set up biz. But I don't think he cares much for customer service, or is too bothered about returning calls etc. He's a pretty eccentric character. But once you get past that I think he can be great.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Well let's hope that now it's been renovated that all those doors aren't left on the pavement over night as before. It looks dreadful !!!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

EUSSR wrote: ...hes pretty normal, he just likes to do what he wants when he wants, hes his own man...
Is that being normal?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Thanks, very helpful. Bit worrying though.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It does look fab. A lesson to other shops in Sydenham and surrounding areas. Any idea who did the sign writing?
bradfordroadgirl

Post by bradfordroadgirl »

Finally Doors is open! The current owner (not Jim who is now in France) came around for a cuppa just now and I was able to tell him that the shop is getting mixed reviews. With the owner giving permission to say so, Lee, the signage was done by a lovely guy called Tony who lives above the premises. The owner is a decent man who was surprised to hear that there are forums out there! He is very accommodating and approachable so please, if the shop isn't open, call his number (or text) and he promises to get back to you if unable to answer at the time.
There have been delays in opening the shop but it's now staffed and up and going, offering both new and used furniture.
He does have 1920s/30s door.
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

I've been in to see them twice about fitting a new door but they're not great about following up as they said they would (by email, to give me a quote). Does make me wonder if they're reliable.