Hideous racket in Lawrie park area

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Hideous racket in Lawrie park area

Post by Rachael »

I suppose we have different perceptions of acceptable. While it is pretty antisocial to have such loud music in a residential area, if they weren't breaking any laws, and it was for a fixed period of time, I would find it an irritant rather than an outrage. For many years I suffered with the Forest Hill Fair blasting out music until all hours from the playground of Forest Hill School. Made for a pretty miserable day. But it was once a year. And the people there were having fun.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rachel
I don't think there is any danger of the meek inheriting the earth and the loud will always out shout the quiet .

1 What I have learned from this :

1- I am outraged , but petty minded to be so.
2- My annoyance should be tempered by the fact that people I now despise were enjoying themselves
3- tolerance of the excess of others is more important than avoiding those excesses in oneself

No wonder Zanzibar got away with it for so many years .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Those might be the lessons you take from it, Nigel. I don't know if any of them were implied in what I said. Personally I would find it exhausting to be quite so filled with outrage all the time. Doesn't it give you indigestion?

For the record - I think the Zanzibar case was very different as it was ongoing, and each incident carried on through much of the night.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I am not an expert in noise pollution, but have some knowledge.

Without boring people to sleep (including myself), Council's very often utilise BS4142 as a system for defining a noise nuisance. (google it)

http://www.noisenet.org/noise_enviro_industrial.htm

It is quite a convoluted process which generally requires an hour of monitoring, by a suitably qualified person, with certified acoustic equipment. And not all councils have such staff available in the early hours.
Ultimately , it's of no practical assistance to one-off events that impact residents. It's more likely to be enforced on persistent offenders.

Hope this helps, but anyone affected is more likely to get resolution from talking to the offenders in the calm atmosphere of the cold light of day.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I have always thought the problem with noise from neighbours is not primarily about decibel level, but about whether or not it is 'our sort of noise', that is, whether or not it feels culturally invasive. I myself would not be concerned if my neighbours organised a Bartok festival in their back garden, because I'd be able to boast to my friends that I lived in the sort of area where people organise Bartok festivals in their back garden.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I must say, I've never understood why some people like to have music is loud that you cannot have a conversation. Even if you want to dance music doesn't need to be overpoweringly loud. So, why do some people insist on excess decibels?

Can anyone shed any light?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bensonby

I agree. Maybe they want to go deaf quickly.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

bensonby wrote:Even if you want to dance music doesn't need to be overpoweringly loud. So, why do some people insist on excess decibels?
I suspect noise, particularly very loud music with a strong rhythmic beat, acts like a drug. People feel overwhelmed, body and mind, by a powerful external force, they can forget themselves, transcend their boring, frustrating and ambiguous daily concerns. A bit like a mystical experience, perhaps.
Mattm1984

Post by Mattm1984 »

ALIB wrote:I am not an expert in noise pollution, but have some knowledge.

Without boring people to sleep (including myself), Council's very often utilise BS4142 as a system for defining a noise nuisance. (google it)

http://www.noisenet.org/noise_enviro_industrial.htm

It is quite a convoluted process which generally requires an hour of monitoring, by a suitably qualified person, with certified acoustic equipment. And not all councils have such staff available in the early hours.
Ultimately , it's of no practical assistance to one-off events that impact residents. It's more likely to be enforced on persistent offenders.

Hope this helps, but anyone affected is more likely to get resolution from talking to the offenders in the calm atmosphere of the cold light of day.
Me again the latest revision of BS 4142 explicitly states that the standard should not be used for entertainment based noise and so this can no longer be used, it was only really used previously due to the lack of anything else but would generally be used as a guide to set a level above background for events to take place.

To deal with it as a complaint would be for a council officer to decide if the noise is considered to be a nuisance and that can only happen if the council respond, and with the cut backs each council faces, an out of hours service is becoming more of a luxury sadly.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

We have a few parties throughout the year on the Syd Hill Estate.

I only get hacked off if I am not invited :lol:

I don't dare whack on the Pixies/Prodigy with my Bose sound system. :twisted:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One should always think of the neighbours when considering activities.

MWAV. Why not de camp to the Woodhouse.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:One should always think of the neighbours when considering activities.

MWAV. Why not de camp to the Woodhouse.
Because some of them go on til the sunrise and the said lovely Woodhouse closes well before that.

Our party hosts usually inform us of a party so some can make alternative plans. A few times a year is no real big deal even if one doesn't appreciate the genres of music played.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely parties likely to disturb the neighbours should cease at latest 11 pm.

They could always go to the Tanzania night club , formerly W Cobb of this Parish.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Rod and Eagle
Absolutely agree -
MWAV your argument seems to run like this - I told you about it - I've decided it's not a problem - so it isn't .
I'm sure if any of your neighbours suggested they turn it down would be get some abuse having ignored your clear " suck it up or go away for the weekend " policy . I've checked the statutes and can't see anything about big yobby blokes who want to make noise can do what they want . Law of the jungle really .
Nonsense - if you are ill , due up for work , have an exam , are particularly tired or just need some peace in your own home , it is not remotely acceptable to hear selfish libertarians playing loud music beyond 11 o'clock .

Lets keep any blame on the perpetrator and not the victim . If people really want to signify their Bohemianism and tolerance ( except for the antisocially quiet ) they can go to somewhere without running water , sewerage , law enforcement , education or healthcare - which are the things you get for living by a few common civil norms .
A very peaceful afternoon
Nigel
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree with Nigel , as usual the sage of Sydenham .

However horrible noise should not be at ANY time , not just after 11 pm.

Let us hope the Good Burghers of Lawrie Park Road get some peaceful days and nights.