Musician's Noticeboard? Jam Nights?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tompski

Musician's Noticeboard? Jam Nights?

Post by Tompski »

Hello,

I am a local guitarist,

It seems in Sydenham you can't really step out of your front door for more than a minute or two before you spot another fellow musician carrying some sort of instrument down the road.
I am currently between bands and thought it would be great to have a permanent board on this forum where musicians could meet and talk, with a view to maybe linking up with people who share the same tastes and interests musically.
I also would like to try and start some sort of Jam night in one of the pubs on the high street, I'm planning on talking to Beer Rebellion and maybe The Red Lion to see if I can get any interest in this kind of thing, I'd prefer Beer Rebellion for the vibe, people and awesome beer but if we had more than 30 people the place would almost be at capacity!!!

So I'll start the ball rolling, I have been playing guitar for over twenty years I'm 43

I love Blues, Funk, Rock and am currently trying to integrate a little bit of Country Rock picking in to my repertoire although my brain is currently argueing with my fingers!
Serious influences are :
Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Funkadelic, The Meters, Little Feat, Zappa, Dr John, Steeley Dan, Allman Brothers, Santana, Albert Lee...
To name a few I could go on, I am a fairly proficiant player and good at improvised playing, if you start talking too much theory to me my very left brained mind melts and runs away! other than that I can hold my own.

So I guess this post is to test the water to see who is around locally that might like to try something out? have a place where they can seek out others for specific projects or help me organise a Blues Funk Jam night somewhere?

I also service, modify and repair electric guitars from my shed , I have a post for that in the "Offered" section of this forum.

Lets see if there are any ripples from this...

Best

Tom
monkeyarms

Re: Musician's Noticeboard? Jam Nights?

Post by monkeyarms »

I keep meaning to ask the Golden Lion, or maybe a high-street cafe, if they'd let me host a regular folk night there. I'm quite a hardcore folkie (english, irish, american traditional songs, some blues and bluegrass too). I play guitar, banjo and some fiddle.

But I do listen to tons of other music as well, and I've played in punk bands, rock bands, indie bands, and even programmed some hip-hop and drum'n'bass too.

I'd be up for a jam every now and then, although I'm mainly interested in playing actual gigs

Here's my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/binarymilton

and soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/mattmilton
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

You know there's a monthly open mic in Cherry & Ice?
pip

Post by pip »

Good band in the Golden Lion last night.
Tompski

Post by Tompski »

monkeyarms wrote:You know there's a monthly open mic in Cherry & Ice?

What's that like? room for electric guitar?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Mr Savvy and I would deffinately come (and pay) for a night of folk music.
dthomas

Post by dthomas »

Heya folks......thought we would share info on an upcoming music event that might make you happy
...looking forward to another Music Night in Sydenham for February after January's event saw rave reviews!
This Saturday, 27 Feb at On the Bistro. Line up is folk heavy with new and returning musicians..... great singer/songwriters. see schedule below and call Ela to book a table at 020 8659 7333 (free entry, books up fast)

7.30pm - AMY DRINKWATER - local gal, youngest player yet
folk, pop, acoustic https://msdrinkwater.wordpress.com/
8.00pm - THOMASTHOMAS - Reggae Funk Roots
https://www.facebook.com/ThomasThomasBand/
8.30pm - MELANIE CREW - Gentle Acoustic Folk
https://soundcloud.com/melaniecrew
9.00pm - JULIAN LEBENDER - Folk Acoustic Pop
https://soundcloud.com/julian-lebender/empty-hall
9.30pm - LAURA REZNICK - Piano Singer Songwriter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViEyZIK5UeQ
10.15pm - Jam
https://www.facebook.com/events/1098963196803772/

Hope to see you there

D&T
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Hi there, I would love to catch up and play some music, I play guitar, country/swing and rock blues
Let me know how it goes with the golden lion, I'll be very happy to join/help
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Ahoy Tompski, I was the de facto house drummer for a jam a few years ago when we lived in Kent, I'd be very interested if you find a space. Also, I might need someone to have a look at a guitar of mine..
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Hi Willhelm, I can have a look at your axe, where are you based.?
clembot

Post by clembot »

Guitarist here keen to find/start a local jam night.
Aussie Al

Post by Aussie Al »

I would also like to see some regular jam nights in Sydenham. Been a muso most of my life and spend three months each year in Sydenham, rest of the time in New Zealand. Over in June so will check to see you you get anything going, good luck.
Tompski

Post by Tompski »

Ok ,

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while,

I have managed to get the go ahead for a "see how it goes" jam night in the Sydenham Beer rebellion on Tuesday April 26th, I have me on guitar, and two mates on drums and bass, so we'll kick it off and see what comes of the night, I guess due to the size of the place it could get a little tricky if we pack the place out, it might get a little cramped!
I think it will be from 7ish onwards, It will be very interesting to see what fused styles come out of the local woodwork!
Hope to see and meet some of you down there. At the moment there is no arranged PA so no vocals, let's see if we survive the night and take it from there.

Best

T
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Tompski wrote:Ok ,
I think it will be from 7ish onwards, It will be very interesting to see what fused styles come out of the local woodwork!
Hope to see and meet some of you down there. At the moment there is no arranged PA so no vocals, let's see if we survive the night and take it from there.
Best
T
Oh, that's a big shame about the vocals. If you like, I could bring along my AER Compact 60 for the night? Two channels, one of which is a mic input, both very clean; vocals translate very well through it (guitar in one input, voice in the other is essentially what it's designed for). It's served me well at bars of a similar size to Beer Rebellion. Looking at your influences, I'm sure I could manage a Little Feat, Zappa, Hendrix or Funkadelic cover... I once played a Halloween gig where I played 'Bad Moon Rising' as a country waltz on the banjo...
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi All

The guys at Havelock Walk in FH are looking for local bands that would be interested in playing a set for free during their Artists Open Studios.

Dates are 7th, 8th, 14th & 15th May.

If anyone is interested please email me & I'll pass it on sugarmountain.info@gmail.com

Please let me know here if you email me incase it goes to my junk folder.

Thanks
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Just found out about this regular monthly event at Antenna Studios up in Crystal Palace. Relevant to this thread, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/antennaopenear ... =page_info

Essentially it's a monthly "show and tell" session for musicians and songwriters. Bring along some music and get some sympathetic feedback. Could be a good networking space for musicians wanting to meet/form bands/jam/natter with like-minds.

Every 2nd Tuesday of the month, apparently.
Tompski

Post by Tompski »

Hi Monkeyarms, sorry I am never on here as you said, apologies,
maybe bring the PA or speaker you are talking about down and see what happens ( I haven't got any mics), the guys at the bar will soon tell us if we get too loud, there are apparently neighbours upstairs and I guess I'm just thinking that in such a small place people may want to hear each other talk as well as hear our amazing riffing?! So we will need to find a friendly balance.
This night is a big case of let's see how it goes, I'm rehearsing/jamming with my guys this weekend just to sharpen some chops, hope to see some of you on the night.
Tompski

Post by Tompski »

Well tonight is the night, I hope to meet some of you down at Beer Rebellion ... I think we will kick off around 7:00pm

Tom
Tompski

Post by Tompski »

Hello everyone,

last jam night seemed to go pretty well, the next one is on Tuesday 24th next week, come and join in the fun!
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

I'll be there Tompski!