Cat killer

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hazy

Cat killer

Post by hazy »

I'm sure all you cat people out there will be aware of the Croydon cat killer, who seems to be spreading his wings to surrounding areas. Just to let you know that he (or she) seems to have struck in forest hill last night. I've got no further details as yet but just thought I should let you know. I know some people don't much like cats, but I'd prefer it if you could refrain from expressing these feelings on this thread. Thanks.
Hissing Syd

Re: Cat killer

Post by Hissing Syd »

I'm extremely sorry to hear this - whoever is doing this is a monster. I just hope it is only one person.

Re your post, it shouldn't matter whether people like cats or not - anybody should be able to see that these acts are utterly barbaric, cruel and quite probably representative of an individual with serious mental health problems.

I suspect there is little we can actually do - however, one of Sydenham's foremost characteristics is its sense of community, so if nothing else, please let's keep eyes and ears open.

And OP - if you are connected with those who lost a pet last night, then huge condolences. I'll say again, these acts are vile, and we should be doing anything we can to prevent them.
hazy

Post by hazy »

Thanks folks
It wasn't my cat but my sympathies with the poor owner - it must be a horrible thing to experience. I've been in contact with South Norwood Small Animal Rescue, who are coordinating & liaising with police, and I shall be leafleting the area to raise awareness. If I get any more info I'll post it here (although nothing graphic, just location & if there is anything more we can do etc).
Btw I apologise for the rather school marm tone of my post! I just seem to remember a while back on here there was rather an anti-cat rant in response to a post about a cat. Just didn't want a repeat of that, esp as those directly affected by this attack may well read this ....
hazy

Post by hazy »

If anyone here is also a member of neighbouring forums, esp forest hill, would you mind putting something on there about this? Many thanks
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Latest update from SNARL http://snarl.org.uk/cat-killer-quick-update/

South Norwood Animal Rescue and Liberty - SNARL
47 mins ·
Hi everyone and welcome to those of you new to this page. Only two of us run this page due to the investigation going on and we are finding it increasingly difficult to respond to people who ask the same questions.
This in turn must make it difficult for those of you new to the page who have genuine questions as both we and our longer term followers show our frustration. So this post will attempt to answer them for you:
(1) post mortems have shown that beyond a doubt, the mutilations are being carried out by a human being with a bladed instrument. There is absolutely, categorically no doubt about this. It is not dogs, cats or foxes causing these injuries.
(2) post mortem results also show that mutilations appear to be the work of one person. Furthermore, there are a number of details we have not released so if we do get anyone evil enough to try and copy these murders, we will know about it.
(3) cases confirmed by post mortem beyond a doubt include cats and at least one fox. Strong anecdotal evidence suggests that rabbits, foxes and puppies have historically also been victims. Currently the head of a small dog is with the team for veterinary examination to see whether the injury sustained is human related or post death animal predation.
(4) the police in Croydon are running a comprehensive and solid investigation. We are sorry if historically cases haven't been managed in the right way but every experience we have had to date of the team currently involved has been positive.
(5) we would not encourage people to set up patrols for the simple reason that the area between known attacks is too big to be effective. Moreover, the murderer is armed with a bladed weapon.
You wouldn't try and apprehend a human serial killer, so please do not try and do this for a serial killer of animals. Not only would you be putting yourself at risk of serious physical harm but you may well blunder into a police surveillance operation and @#$%& it up.
Personally after six months of putting our reputation, livelihoods and every bit of our time into this, we would not forgive someone doing this.
Please leave this to the professionals to handle. If you want to be of good practical help, regularly share our pinned post and if you are physically able, send us your email address by pm to join our leafletting team.
evil icon despite the press continuing to refer to the cat killer as the "Croydon Cat Killer", this person is not just operating in Croydon but in an area from Luton down to Hampshire and Surrey and from Bedfont across east to Stepney and Tottenham Hale. Please don't think your cat is safe to let out at night just because you don't live in one of the areas targetted.
(7) there is a huge amount of work being done behind the scenes. We are not prepared to comment on that work at any point. If you really feel that we are trying to hoax people then do yourself a favour and Google the latest local press where you will see the police confirm that they are investigating.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

alywin

Post by alywin »

owlwise wrote:despite the press continuing to refer to the cat killer as the "Croydon Cat Killer", this person is not just operating in Croydon but in an area from Luton down to Hampshire and Surrey and from Bedfont across east to Stepney and Tottenham Hale. Please don't think your cat is safe to let out at night just because you don't live in one of the areas targetted.
That's an incredibly large area to cover: if this is indeed all the work of one person, either s/he does a lot of travelling e.g. for work and/or is going hunting deliberately. Sick, either way :(
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

alywin

Post by alywin »

There was a report on the matter on the BBC local news on BBC1 tonight.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Its making me paranoid, not about my own cat who is old and stays in our garden, but about saying hello to neighborhood cats in case people think I'm the killer.
alywin

Post by alywin »

The case featured in a TV programme about the police recently. A police profiler confirmed my long-held fear that killing animals may at some stage no longer be enough for him.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Seriously? The police have closed the case:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/c ... ar-BBNALr3

If there's an admin reading this, I think we have at least 2 threads on the subject, which could be merged.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Yes, the cops have come to the unsurprising (when you think about it, and with the benefit of hindsight) conclusion that it is foxes - backed up by CCTV of several foxes carrying cat heads, bodies, etc. Mostly roadkill, but some predation. Someone from SNARL on telly tonight asking why this only happens in London. Maybe because only in London are urban foxes totally out of control, thanks in part to morons who feed them and treat them like they are pets. They’re not, and it will take something horrible happening (young kid getting seriously harmed, say) for people to realise it.
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Not surprised. Some are not frightened of humans and do not run off when disturbed. Recently in Kelsey park, in broad daylight, I bent down to see what my 2 year old, who was next to me, was looking at. His hand was in a clearing in a bush and as I got to his level he commented “I got new dog” He had his hand on a young (I assume, it looked smallish) fox’s head. I don’t think I have moved so fast in my life. Credit to the fox, it didn’t flinch even though it was very much awake. So lucky my child was not bitten!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Jollylolly wrote:So lucky my child was not bitten!
I would refer the honourable gentleperson to my previous post on local fox predation: https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 1&p=172741

Stuart
bjc

Post by bjc »

Crumbs, what a waste of police time.
Foxes stealing shoes and coming into our house is getting really annoying so I'm all up for demonising them.
But isn't the hypothesis in these cases that it's evil car drivers mowing through the hoards of moggies. And it's just foxes scavenging on the remains.
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Yes probably. I have seen my cat chased by a fox in a previous abode, but I reckon cats are faster. Also seen my cat bullied by magpies and crows, poor thing !! Other cats are probably cats’ main predators