Cycling to work

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chazza

Cycling to work

Post by Chazza »

I've recently moved to Sydenham and cycle to work in Docklands every day. When I lived in Brixton, I would see loads of cyclists on my route, however now I see hardly any. I presume that's because the route I'm taking (through the Greenwich foot tunnel via Catford and Lewisham) isn't exactly the most cycle-friendly route to take. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nicer ride in?
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

Hello,

I cycle daily to and from my work in greenwich from sydenham and i follow for the most part, cycle route 21. It's a very nice ride, through quiet roads, along the river that runs through the bottom of sydenham, through parks etc.

It can get tricky and complicated in places. The chances are we leave for work at different times but im more than happy to cycle with you one morning so you can get used to the route.

cheers

Dan.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I agree with Dan. I've been cycling into Canary Wharf most days for the last 20 months, and I think the route along the river is fine - nicer and more traffic free than the route through Crofton Park. Initially I'd cycle direct from Greenwich to Lewisham, past the Tescos, and that bit was scary with all the traffic coming in before that big round-a-bout. The river route is maybe a bit tricky getting through Catford, but once you know it, it's fine. You have to look out for the dog walkers in the evenings.
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

I knew this web site would come in useful one day, just remembered i put my route on it some time ago.......

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /462174465

cheers

Dan.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

how long does it take to cycle to the canary wharf?
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

well takes me about 30mins to greenwich - sort of cruising along. So, maybe another 10-15 to canary whalf?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Thanks to those who've posted answers... the thing is, I'm a bit of a roadie and try to avoid cycle paths as they seem to slow me down even more than buses and cars do! Does anyone take a better road-based route than the one I'm currently following? (Sydenham High Street -> Mayow Road -> Woolstone Road -> Catford Hill -> Lewisham High Street -> Lewisham Road -> Foot Tunnel -> Westferry Road) I don't mind hills!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Takes me a bit less than 40 to get into Canary Wharf. The cycle route along the river isn't slow, except when there are wet leaves on it. I used to try to go fast, but trying to go fast (as opposed to just going fast) has to be one of the highest risk factors in cycling. So now I make a point of not looking at my watch. Oh - and you save time in the foot tunnel using the stairs.
jackie

Post by jackie »

I'm not cyclist but I drive along Whitefoot Lane towards Downham each day and I'm fascinated by the new barriers which have been installed to slow the traffic but are just too narrow for cyclists. The road has been changed from a dual carriageway to single lane traffic so I don't understand why a cycle lane has not been incorporated into the traffic calming measures, especially as an employee of Lewisham Council I am regularly asked why I don't cycle to work!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

jackie wrote:as an employee of Lewisham Council I am regularly asked why I don't cycle to work!
In my (admittedly, brief) experience, the roads within Lewisham council boundaries are some of the most cyclist-unfriendly in London. I don't particularly like cycle lanes myself, but there are hardly any traffic lights with advanced stop lines and the roads themselves usually have very bad surfaces; lots of roads have had trenches or holes dug up and badly filled-in two or three feet from the kerb, which is is exactly where I want to put my wheels.

Maybe that's why there are so few cyclists round here? Either that or the hills... :)
MissDee

Post by MissDee »

I am a Dutch girl living here, and coming from cycling country "Holland" I am really scared to cycle really anywhere :oops: as I am used to cycle lanes and of course (still) not used to traffic on the left...
But I would love to give it a try though...saves some money and good for the legs ;)
user100

Post by user100 »

Be honest, MissDee, its the way the road goes up and down that is really puzzling you ;-)

Just kidding......
MissDee

Post by MissDee »

Sssssht I wanted to keep that a secret...but actually it is true :D
Sometimes I still have to read what is written on the road "Look right / Look left" :shock: