Amazing family friendly days out 1.5 hrs from se26

Forum for families to exchange information on children's activities, schools and share the travails of parenthood
JRobinson

Re: Amazing family friendly days out 1.5 hrs from se26

Post by JRobinson »

The Museum of London, Docklands Musuem, at West India Quay, is also well worth a visit, with a 'play area' for kids, called Mudlarks, lots of entertaining things for under 10s to do. The museum is free entry, the Mudlarks is also free, but ticketed, as it's very popular.

Also, if I haven't already mentioned it is the V&A Museum of Childhood, at Bethnal Green.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is probably worth a look if you like 'Walks':

https://localkentwalks.wordpress.com

Totally agree J Robinson about the Museum of Childhood and Museum of Docklands.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If you (and your kids) like boats, history etc, we recommend Chatham Docks.

It's only about 40 minutes away, the tickets last a year and it's massive. You will definitely want to go back. They have submarines and war shops, lots of old dock buildings, interactive displays and various special events. They have special activities for kids (we had a really good science display which our son loved during half term).

It's such a big site that it doesn't feel that busy and the people who work there seem to love the place and often have a connection to it.

It's one of the best weekends we have had for a while. You could easily spent a weekend there.

http://www.thedockyard.co.uk
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Does anyone still read this post? Anyone got anything else to add?

If not I will post everything elsewhere. We have been to some great places recently.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I do keep an eye Lee for things to do with my grandchildren, but confess I haven't looked recently. For reference the Diana Princess lf Wales playground is fantastic ...Kensington. So is Syon Park for the butterfly house ...easy journey on the train.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Did I mention Greenwich Maritime Museum?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Maritime Museum in Greenwich is great for kids, the new play area is brilliant.

We joined the National Trust and it's well worth joining. These are all NT places within 1.5 hours of London.

Sissinghurst in Kent has a great garden which is the best place for hide and seek I've ever been to.
Scotney Castle is great for a picnic on the lawn, the gardens and a great outdoor natural play area. They will spend an hour or two just there.
Toys HIll/Emmetts Wood are one of our favourites. There is the best outdoor play area we have seen (they even have toy tractors to soon down the hill on). The woods are great and there is a Winnie the Poo trail for kids. Toys Hill is free. It's magical and a lovely drive out into the country too.

They are doing Doc Yard science shows in Chatham Docks at the moment, which is worth going to. Expensive to enter, but the tickets last a year and you need to visit it at least 3-4 times to see everything. They have in indoor soft play area (which is free) and two other outdoor playgrounds. Plus tours around submarines, various ships etc. It's pretty quiet as the site is so large and it's great for adults and children.

The Imperial War Museum in Duxford is well worth a visit or 4 too. But again, get the yearly tickets as you wont see it all in one trip and will want to go back. We have recently got into camping for sheep weekends away so will share some campsites if anyone is interested.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

There are so many good things to do nearby. The Red House, Eltham Palace, Tilbury Fort, Lullingstone Roman Villa, Ightham Mote, Leeds Castle...tons to do.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Anyone ever been to the Princess of Wales Playground? Is it worth it?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, both the playground and fountain are fantastic.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Also, Camber Sands is great for a day out. We went last week and ended up with chips on the beach watching the sun set. Earlier we went around Rye, which is lovely. It's just on the cusp of 1.5 hours. It feels like a mini holiday.

Dungeness is lovely too and worth a visit, or the beaches in Whitstable, which also has a fantastic high street. We spent ages on the beach collecting interesting stones and shells, then setting up larger pebbles and trying to knock them over with smaller ones. Simple things sometimes are the best and it connects with nature.

Toys Hill in Kent is brilliant and worth a visit. We made stick men when we went with our son, the National Trust Book full of things to do before you are 11 and 3/4 is worth getting. These days when many kids are glued to ipads, it's good to get tactile, build dens in woods, touch, feel. Take a picnic and it's a really cheap day out.

We want to try our the Kent Hop Farm at some point too.
Pally

Post by Pally »

leenewham wrote:Yes, both the playground and fountain are fantastic.
Thanks. I've been to the fountain but not the playground. Will keep it in mind with grandchildren :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

Lee ...I agree about Camber Sands, Rye and Toys Hill. Used to go regularly with my own kids. Have you ever been to Keston Ponds ...we used to go with nets catching Minnows and putting back but it sure I still allowed. They used to do brilliant 2 hour kids nature sessions too ...different age groups and really fun!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Keston is lovely too.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The National Trust's Box Hill is under 1 hour away and is a great place to take kids. There are nature trails and the walks are lovely. The cafe is good too. The views are stunning and there are lots of different walks to do. It's in the Surrey Downs.

It's a nice country road drive for large parts too. Our son said it was the best day ever.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Need somewhere I can get to with a 6 year old and a 4 year old when they visit in May ...but without a car , will be using public transport! Any ideas appreciated Thanks in anticipation
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Hornimans is getting a butterfly house.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Savvy wrote:Hornimans is getting a butterfly house.
Do you know when?
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

http://kentlife.org.uk/
Kent Life heritage farm park near Maidstone is worth a visit, lots of play areas, animals and things to see and do.