Advice - improper use of property

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JamesS

Post by JamesS »

Hello

Looking for some advice as people here seem well informed on this stuff. A few months ago some previously privately used garages on my street were sold. The new owner is using them as part of a waste removal business - storing material there for sorting. Is this an acceptable use and, if not, which part of the council do I need to raise the issue with? Aside from the visual issues (the new owner has surrounded the three garages in unpleasant, grey-painted wood hoardings) there is now a regular stream of large vans in and out of what is a small, residential close.

Grateful for any advice

Thanks
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

This may well be a change of use of the garages for which planning permission has not been secured.

You can check at http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ whether a planning application for change of use was submitted and approved.

If not, I suggest that you raise this issue with the planning enforcement team at Lewisham Council - https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/ ... pment.aspx
Gaddison

Re: Advice - improper use of property

Post by Gaddison »

Hi James

From what you say it would seem likely the garages are residentially zoned and
The new owner would need to be granted planning permission for commercial/light industrial use to use this legally for his business.

The council planning department would take into account the impact of the Change of use, as well as environmental impact such as noise, increased traffic, smell, visual impact, toxin spill etc.

I would think the council would take a pretty dim view of this type of activity in residential zone and so unlikely he has planning permission or would be able to get it.

I would recommend contacting Lewisham council Planning and report this to them.

I wish you good luck
JamesS

Re: Advice - improper use of property

Post by JamesS »

Thanks, both. Really useful.