Irregular ballots in Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
orgone

Irregular ballots in Sydenham?

Post by orgone »

Just watched BBC London news and there was a story about spoiled ballots at Kennington and Croydon polling stations due to voting officers writing voter registration numbers on the back of ballots. Apparently, they not supposed to do this. Now, I voted this evening and they were doing the same at St Barts! At the time i thought it was kind of strange but thinking on it more, it completely negates anonymity if the ballot can be traced back to a particular voter. Does anyone know who i should contact on this matter? Did you see this happening when you voted?
sean

Post by sean »

I used to work on elections and every since ballot paper can a serialcode written on the back on it and there is a way of tracking every since ballot. within the next month after an election a list is compiled with house numbers and what that house voted. this is then made available to all political parties only (although I got my copy and I worked for the press then).

so there is always a way to find out. back in the 1990's in wales there was a local case where the whole thing was exposed because they were targeting the houses that voted for the winning party and made it known to voters that they "knew you didn't vote for us" this time around.
Sid & Ham

Post by Sid & Ham »

Orgone:
You should contact the Election Helpline 0800 876 6444.

If what you say is correct then your vote will not count.

If the papers have had words or number added throughout the day then all the votes made at that location may be regarded as spoiled and discarded.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:o
I voted at St Barts Church, and they only wrote on their ledger that i had voted not on the ballot paper.
simono

Post by simono »

I also voted at St Barts and saw them write on the back of my ballot paper. Again I didn't think about it at the time but now realise I have been disenfrnachised by bureaucratic maladministration. I have written to the returning officer about this as I think that this is incedidilby serious. Had the election been really close then I do wonder if this would have had serious legal consequences.
orgone

Post by orgone »

simono wrote:I also voted at St Barts and saw them write on the back of my ballot paper. Again I didn't think about it at the time but now realise I have been disenfrnachised by bureaucratic maladministration. I have written to the returning officer about this as I think that this is incedidilby serious. Had the election been really close then I do wonder if this would have had serious legal consequences.
It is serious, i think. As there were similar issues in Croydon and Kennington, and the marking of ballots there was regarded as spoiling, how much of the St Barts vote went into the spoiled bin, not to mention other voting stations across London?