Sydenham Christmas Tree

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
owlwise

Sydenham Christmas Tree

Post by owlwise »

The new Sydenham Christmas 'tree' looks like a twig and is an INSULT to all of us residents who live here. Can it be changed please, to something that resembles a Christmas tree????

It's bad enough that the Christmas lights are an annual shamefest but the tree too?? It's ridiculous. Where is the funding for this stuff and why aren't Sydenham getting any, or is someone high up pocketing it all??
Syd_Stone

Re: Sydenham Christmas Tree

Post by Syd_Stone »

Has something happened to it since last night? Looked pretty good then, although it did seem to me inevitable that the lights will get played with. Twig? Perhaps there's another one. Is this the one set top by Skanska at the top of Queensthorpe where the Christmas trees are being sold?
Pally

Post by Pally »

I think the Xmas tree looks better this year, more lights!
Maria

Post by Maria »

I think it looks beautiful - in its stunning simplicity.
prince

Post by prince »

I think the tree looks lovely. To be honest I am both surprised and grateful that we have a tree and lights when the Council has to deal with serious funding cuts from central government. I do think though that as a condition of selling Christmas trees there the flower stall could donate one.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Yes Syd_Stone, that's the one. I presume there's only one and that's it?
KEO

Post by KEO »

I believe the tree was indeed donated by the people that sell them at the top of Queensthorpe.
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

I think it looks lovely too - very understated maybe, but I happen to like that !
rustya

Post by rustya »

I think the one at the top of Kirkdale, outside Costcutter looks far more proper.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

I'm really not sure how people think the Christmas tree on Sydenham High Street is "stunning," or "lovely." It seems some people's standards are so low that they would be happy with anything. If compared to the Christmas tree in Catford it really is very poor. Tall, thin and sparse. Catford is not an affluent area so why is there such a stark difference between the two? The bottom row of the Christmas lights have been hanging on the floor for most of December. When friends have visited me in Sydenham they have commented that our tree is poor and barely visible from a distance. This is obviously not the reaction you want to receive from people visiting your local area.

Furthermore, the Christmas lights on the High Street have been the poorest imaginable. Fading white with some sort of fading blue. At a very short distance away, or during the daytime you can barely see that the lights are on. The bright blue lights (which there have only been a few of this year) are at least Christmassy, bright and noticeable. Penge in comparison have set an example with their lights. I'm not sure I expected anything better to be honest, although I hope I am pleasantly surprised next year.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

Kingfisher78 wrote:I'm really not sure how people think the Christmas tree on Sydenham High Street is "stunning," or "lovely." It seems some people's standards are so low that they would be happy with anything. If compared to the Christmas tree in Catford it really is very poor. Tall, thin and sparse. Catford is not an affluent area so why is there such a stark difference between the two? The bottom row of the Christmas lights have been hanging on the floor for most of December. When friends have visited me in Sydenham they have commented that our tree is poor and barely visible from a distance. This is obviously not the reaction you want to receive from people visiting your local area.

Furthermore, the Christmas lights on the High Street have been the poorest imaginable. Fading white with some sort of fading blue. At a very short distance away, or during the daytime you can barely see that the lights are on. The bright blue lights (which there have only been a few of this year) are at least Christmassy, bright and noticeable. Penge in comparison have set an example with their lights. I'm not sure I expected anything better to be honest, although I hope I am pleasantly surprised next year.
I suppose you could always take it upon yourself to improve it. I guess it is a lack of organisation/desire and funds that result in an average outcome!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sydenham Syd wrote:
Kingfisher78 wrote:I'm really not sure how people think the Christmas tree on Sydenham High Street is "stunning," or "lovely." It seems some people's standards are so low that they would be happy with anything. If compared to the Christmas tree in Catford it really is very poor. Tall, thin and sparse. Catford is not an affluent area so why is there such a stark difference between the two? The bottom row of the Christmas lights have been hanging on the floor for most of December. When friends have visited me in Sydenham they have commented that our tree is poor and barely visible from a distance. This is obviously not the reaction you want to receive from people visiting your local area.

I suppose you could always take it upon yourself to improve it. I guess it is a lack of organisation/desire and funds that result in an average outcome!
The Forest Hill tree is decorated by the Forest Hill Society. Where there's a will...
prince

Post by prince »

Perhaps the Sydenham Society might like to organise an event where local people make decorations and help to decorate the tree.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I suggested something similar ages ago that school children could make a simple decoration each that they could add to the tree just before the lights ceremony switch-on. Similarly, people I'm sure would willingly donate a bauble or two and lend a step ladder. Or possibly donate the whole of their decorations if intending to buy new ones next year as some people do, although those would need to be stored.

As you say, it needs someone or a body to authorise and organise it. There should be minimal cost - maybe a plastic dustbin near Angies' in the square to collect donated trinkets.

Thinking "going viral", maybe it could be as simple as one person hanging a bauble and others might follow. (I'm assuming that would be legal since not damaging the tree.)
KPR

Post by KPR »

I prefer the minimalist white lights to a load of baubles personally - the Kirkdale one was a complete dog's breakfast.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, there's always a 50:50 split between tasteful and cheerful. As you can tell, I prefer joyful and colourful so, to keep us all happy, maybe two trees - one of each? A colourful one could sit outside the family-oriented Sydenham Centre. :)

Someone mentioned that the Greyhound might have one in future years which would be very welcome.
Kingfisher78

Post by Kingfisher78 »

prince wrote:Perhaps the Sydenham Society might like to organise an event where local people make decorations and help to decorate the tree.
This is a great idea. I will contact the Chair of Sydenham Society a few months before Christmas 2017 to ask if she would like to organise an event like this. if not, I will donate a few baubles and place them on the tree myself, maybe just gold or silver, in case people do not like the colours, and I hope that local residents will follow in adding a few more decorations, donated by themselves. This way the tree would look a bit more special, and we would all feel like we've had a hand in making our High Street look more festive.