RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Kent House R

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by Kent House R »

Yes, those wetherstones pubs probably have a place, but we can manage without one in the heart of Sydenham Village.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Kent House R wrote:Yes, those wetherstones pubs probably have a place, but we can manage without one in the heart of Sydenham Village.

"Sydenham Village"!!!! :roll:
:shock: :lol:
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

stuart wrote:
clembot wrote:Thank the beer gods that it's not likely to be a weatherspoons then!
Do you have a problem with good, cheap (relatively) beer and food? Its nice to have upmarket alternatives nearby but is it bad not to have a Wetherspoon one for those who don't want to pay for an 'ambience'?

Stuart
Sorry, there is a 'spoons in Penge and one in Beckenham - that is plenty within a ten mile radius
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Only in Sydenham would we be debating whether or not it would have been OK if it had turned into a Wetherspoons! Sometimes it seems as if we want to be hair-shirted masochistic martyrs about the state of the high street.

I would have been gutted if it had ended up a Wetherspoons. I think it's pushing it to describe Wetherspoons' food as 'good' (it certainly wasn't in the 4 or 5 times I've eaten in there – though perhaps it's improved in the intervening years). And anyway, there aren't any pubs I would describe as "upmarket alternatives" in Sydenham - with the possible exception of 161 on Kirkdale, though that isn't a pub. The Dolphin and the Golden Lion are just perfectly good, normal pubs. Beer Rebellion might do craft beer but it's in need of a lick of paint or two (plus its future is by no means certain). I don't think even the most enthusiastic regular drinkers in them would describe any of those as 'upmarket' and they probably wouldn't want them to be.

On the other hand, Sydenham has the Pavilion, the Fox, the Alfred and the Bell. Most, maybe all of which do cheap drinks promotions regularly. There are also Wetherspoons in Penge and Forest Hill.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Exactly monkeyarms.

Penge has two Antic pubs/cafes (one is in the process of opening) and offers choice rather than more of the same. We need to progress, how about a bit of aspiration? Not everything has to be mass market, not everything has to be top end.

How about some variety?
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
Pat Trembath wrote:Meanwhile the second retail unit on site will shortly be fitting out - electricity is now connected - and Kinleigh, Folkard and Heyward are confirmed as the occupants.
KFH have now submitted a planning application for a new shopfront and an application for advertisement consent for new signage for the second retail unit (next to Sainsbury's Local).

You can view the applications by going to http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ and entering the references 'DC/16/098969' and 'DC/16/098973' (without quotation marks).
These applications have now been approved. Another step along the road!

(And yes, I know that an estate agent is not everyone's preferred option, but it's surely better than an empty unit.)
stuart

Post by stuart »

leenewham wrote:How about some variety?
Indeed Lee. Let's return to the subject of this this thread - The Greyhound. It has a new owner, presumably a new business plan and I'm sure no one, certainly not me, wishes to derail that after the fight we have had to get to this point. I'll be there on its opening night - if there is room to squeeze in.

It will be interesting to see what market the new owner chooses to target. I'm afraid Lee & Monkeyarms I'm not going to be prescriptive about that. The joy of Sydenham, such as it is, is that it caters for both the young professional and the old unprofessional side by side. Do we really want to be another ghastly ghetto of the rich or poor as is too much of London?

So I shall continue to be a champion of Beer Rebellion and any future Wetherspoons - and hopefully also the New Greyhound.

Stuart
Last edited by stuart on 17 Jan 2017 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The second retail unit is part of this redevelopment so a little more information about this.

The floor plans indicate a very large estate agent (as if from the size of the unit we hadn't worked this out) with 15 workstations and a conference/meeting room to accommodate 18!

Things are moving as Virgin has been around today, presumably prior to sorting out the broadband connections.

Now back to OP - The Greyhound
clembot

Post by clembot »

stuart wrote:
clembot wrote:Thank the beer gods that it's not likely to be a weatherspoons then!
Do you have a problem with good, cheap (relatively) beer and food? Its nice to have upmarket alternatives nearby but is it bad not to have a Wetherspoon one for those who don't want to pay for an 'ambience'?

Stuart

Not at all. The beer is good and cheap, they always are a bit shit to drink and eat in mind.

They're a bit like a Wimpy version of a pub, I vote full hipster burgers, decent live/music, kid friendly and if they can stretch to an avant guarde pub quiz then we're off to a cracking start.
clembot

Post by clembot »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
biscuitman1978 wrote:
Pat Trembath wrote:Meanwhile the second retail unit on site will shortly be fitting out - electricity is now connected - and Kinleigh, Folkard and Heyward are confirmed as the occupants.
KFH have now submitted a planning application for a new shopfront and an application for advertisement consent for new signage for the second retail unit (next to Sainsbury's Local).

You can view the applications by going to http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/ and entering the references 'DC/16/098969' and 'DC/16/098973' (without quotation marks).
These applications have now been approved. Another step along the road!

(And yes, I know that an estate agent is not everyone's preferred option, but it's surely better than an empty unit.)

Great.. another estate agent. Let's have three more chicken shops while they're at it eh?
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Oh I do think you're being a tad unfair likening estate agents with chicken shops Clembot. At least KFH will keep their shop front clean, windows sparkling (to highlight the properties on their books to their best advantage) and it will have a fairly inviting look about it. I'm looking forward to having a nosy in those windows at said properties in the area albeit ridiculously priced.

To me chicken shops look horrible and uninviting with a few nasty plastic seats at the front. Plus all the accompanying detritus that tends to waft outside and be blown about by the wind. They serve their purpose I'm sure but we do have enough in Sydenham as do most surrounding towns.
Timbo79

Post by Timbo79 »

Spotted they guy swapping the estate agent's for sale signs for sold signs earlier today! Oy lived in the area 4 months and still find his very exciting! :D
NawhalPA

Post by NawhalPA »

Blue licensing application sign now up. Calls for full suite of fun stuff including booze, music, sports and theatre. Standard stuff or will we looking at something more interesting?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

NawhalPA wrote:Blue licensing application sign now up. Calls for full suite of fun stuff including booze, music, sports and theatre. Standard stuff or will we looking at something more interesting?
It's hard to say. I think they just applied for licensing for all those activities to cover as much as possible.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Much as I'd love the new Greyhound to be a bastion of live music, I'd have thought they'd struggle with noise issues, given how very very close they are to residential apartments. Acoustic nights, maybe?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:Much as I'd love the new Greyhound to be a bastion of live music, I'd have thought they'd struggle with noise issues, given how very very close they are to residential apartments. Acoustic nights, maybe?

I live directly opposite the greyhound and I can honestly say that I doubt it will be any worse than the sound of screaming cats.....errr karaoke singers from the Pavilion a bit further down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
prince

Post by prince »

Very positive news tonight.

The jewel in the crown is the sold notice on the greyhound but it is good to also see a sold notice on the orb commercial unit. :-)
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

I'm sure! I've heard the karaoke coming out of the Pavilion many times.

But I wasn't thinking of those that live opposite, I was thinking of the flats behind it, which are super super close and don't have a road in between them and the pub.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

monkeyarms wrote:I'm sure! I've heard the karaoke coming out of the Pavilion many times.

But I wasn't thinking of those that live opposite, I was thinking of the flats behind it, which are super super close and don't have a road in between them and the pub.
There are no windows to the back of the unit, just brick wall which should hold most of the noise. The windows are facing out.... oh damn... towards me! :lol: :lol:
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

My understanding is that the Greyhound has been purchased by the owners of The Dolphin.
Acorn are moving up into the retail shop under The Orb.
One retail unit is becoming a large estate agent
Second retail unit is going to be a Bike Shop.