Family Cafe -Newlands Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jackie

Family Cafe -Newlands Park

Post by jackie »

Has anyone else had the menu for the new "family Cafe" in Newlands Park Road. Along with the chips which you can have with everything I was amazed to see corned beef- salad or sandwiches. I didn't think corned beef existed any more apart from in the larders of people who are still stock-piling food in case of nuclear attack [for you young ones- that's what we did in the 60s and 70s]
mikej

Post by mikej »

I have to say I have always loved corned beef sandwiches, though you've got to have lashings of ketchup on them (or maybe real sliced tomato) so I may call in this cafe!
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Of course it exists! I love it too as a treat, its quite high in fat and salt - that's why it tastes so good. The last tin I bought was from Marks and Spencer in Beckenham. They also serve it in Semas, its yummy 'melted' over hot chips with a fried egg on the side.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I'm attending a cocktail reception tonight in the House of Lords. I'll deliberately look out for corned beef sarnies and let you know if there are any on offer :D
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

This might sound a bit random, but give corned beef and beetroot sarnies a try. My mum always used to make them for us and I still eat them today, but everyone seems to think it's a strange combination...