Woodsyre Photos

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Barrie

Woodsyre Photos

Post by Barrie »

Despite a reasonable trawl through the Forum's search facility I've not been abe to find any pictures of the houses which preceded the current modern ones.
They would date from the 1860s until the 1960s
Drawings or architectural elevations would do too!
Michael Viner

Re: Woodsyre Photos

Post by Michael Viner »

Here are a couple of photos of now-gone houses in Sydenham Hill where Woodsyre is now
They are at the two opposite ends of Woodsyre-there is a a photo of 'Birchwood' 37 Sydenham Hill,near the Dulwich Wood House pub and 'Hitherwood', well known as the 'International Guest House' of the 20's& 30's ,which stood on the corner of Rock Hill,the other end of Woodsyre.I have got some photos of a couple of the houses in between but I can't find them at present. They were all demolished in the late 1950's/early 60's.
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Thank you Michael and apologies for the delay in relying.
Terrific pictures which I hadn't seen before.
I've had some me difficulty in locating any photos of the houses where Woodsyre now is.
Even Brian Green the Dulwich historian wasn't abe to come with anything.

Any more out there?
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Whilst not showing any pictures of Woodsyre, forum members maybe interested in this site, particularly the moveable/scaleable maps
http://www.streetviews.co.uk/index.php? ... 57&lang=en
Marialta

Post by Marialta »

Hello,

I am compiling my mother’s life story and have photos of Hitherwood when her own mother Jessie Gatenby was organiser of the International guesthouse. Jessie worked for the Holiday Fellowship and I am researching this history. I have photos of King Yetta 111 and others who came to the coronation in 1937 outside Hitherwood. My mother was 17 in 1937.

The old photo albums were cut up so I’m trying to piece things together as it seemed to have been a fascinating place.

If you are interested I can take some photographs and upload.

Kind regards,
Mary
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear Mary,Yes- we'd love to see the photos,they sound really interesting-thank you for offering!
Marialta

Post by Marialta »

Dear Michael,

Good to hear from you.
I will upload some in next few days if I can attach here or might be easier for me to email you them as can’t see easily how to attach. Then you could upload as you like.

Regards,
Mary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

this is how to post photos:

It is possible to add photos from Imgur without signing in. Other sites are available.

On the Imgur site [imgur.com], under New post, click on 'upload image' then select and upload your image(s).

Under the 'Share this Image' header copy the BB Code(forums) text and paste it into your STF message. When you are in "Post a new topic" there are a series of icons above the box - the link one (10 from left) allows you to post the BB Code in that, between the two URL.
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

https://imgur.com/gallery/WrhZqjh
At last I’ve found one, albeit not very clear!
Probably 1963 as the houses in Woodsyre were being completed.
The arrowed house is just beyond where 20 Woodsyre now stands.

Any more pictures out there?
Michael Viner

Post by Michael Viner »

Thanks for sharing that nice photo,Barrie! It was taken in 1964 and one of the interesting things about it is the pavement being laid-not a new one for Sydenham Hill but the first one for Sydenham Hill! Prior to this the footpaths of Sydenham Hill had just been dirt tracks-a remnant of it's rural past which remarkably survived until the Swinging 60's!
Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Ah! I wondered why the bus stop was on the ‘inside’ of the pavement and not at the kerbside. Another interesting piece of information Michael.

I’m still surprised that with all the photos of houses on Sydenham Hill there aren’t more/any of the houses that stood on the site of Woodsyre. Were they boring or ugly and so not worthy of a snap?