Possibility of a new cafe in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
PhoebeBexy

Possibility of a new cafe in Sydenham

Post by PhoebeBexy »

Hi

We hope this is allowed. Our names are Phoebe and Bexy and we are thinking of opening a cafe in the High Street.

We were just wondering if anyone would be willing to fill out a survey that we have designed. If you would like to complete the survey the link is below and should only take a few minutes of your time.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=H ... eIbg_3d_3d

Thank you

Phoebe and Bexy
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Good luck, I look forward to you coming here.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Survey completed... good luck!
sophie

Post by sophie »

Done the survey as well. Good Luck. Trying to work out where the cafe could go now. Do you have a spot in mind or are you at the maybe only stage?!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

completed.

can i get a free coffee?
claireclaire

Survey

Post by claireclaire »

Did the survey! Another cafe' in Sydenham - yay!
PhoebeBexy

Post by PhoebeBexy »

Thanks everyone! It's so nice to have such positive responses!

We live in Sydenham already and I (Phoebe) originally come from Australia where there is a large 'cafe culture' something I feel is lacking especially in this area!

We are very motivated to put this plan into action but it seems that there is a severe shortage of appropriate venues. We have come across one, the old photography place on the high street. It's large but without a kitchen and, it seems, a locatable letting agent.

If anyone could give us some pointers as to available places that would be suitable for a cafe/restaurant in the high street it would be much appreciated.
user100

Post by user100 »

I don't want to rain on your parade, by no means, but to be quite honest I would be a bit concerned for you opening another cafe in Syd, especially as we have had at least 3 new ones lately.

I have no axe to grind, unless the fact that I own my own place and any further gentrification of the area could increase my property value, bla bla bla.

But I honestly think that you will only get positive responses on a forum like this.

Why? Well, people have no incentive to give you any other kind of response.

I mean its nice to be all positive and encouraging, because at the end of the day, its no risk to me to encourage you to invest your time, money etc into opening another cafe.

If it succeeds, many people here will see that as a big plus, anothe success story for a resurgent Syd.

But if it fails, its your loss. So really, the most common response will be - GO FOR IT!!

I am not casting doubt on the honesty of previous posters or poll respondents, everyone is entitled to express their opinion, but really and truly, its no skin off anyone's nose but yours if it turns out to be a bad idea.

I was filling in the poll myself and then I stopped because I realised I was just putting in responses that I thought you would want to hear. Then I decided it was more fair to be honest and decided to post this.

I am also wondering what you think about the number and variety of cafes already in place.

We have plenty of greasy spoons, some very good, others maybe not so good.

We have at least 2 more upmarket type places or whatever you want to call them.

Where would you position yourself in this crowded marketplace?

What would be your USP?

Hmm, maybe that info is classified, fair enough.

End of the day, you must believe that either the market is bigger than the cafes already serving it can cope with, OR that you can grow the market, OR that you can win market share off the others. Which is it?

I guess I do have a bit of an axe to grind - I would not like to see a new cafe open, cannibalise some existing businesses to death, but then fail anyway.

Anyhow, I'm sure I will get flamed for this but I am just being honest, I am sure you have thought this through and have a clear business strategy etc in mind.

Would love to hear your response to these thoughts, and if you do decide to go ahead, I honestly wish you all the best and will definitely try your wares when the time comes.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i think that's a bloody good response, user100.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

user100, you've pretty much echoed what I said when I filled in the 'other comments' section of the poll; we've got greasy spoons, takeaways and various other food outlets aplenty.

I can't see another cafe offering a USP that will be interesting enough to make a decent profit.

As I said on the poll, if this were Dragons Den, I'd look at the market, look at the competition, and then declare myself well and truly 'OUT'.....
poppy

new cafe

Post by poppy »

I personally think there could be room for somewhere which is more child-friendly or somewhere particulary which does very good pizzas to eat and takeaway.

For a cafe to be more child-friendly it needs to be on the type of scale of a Cafe Nero (not saying I want one of these) but where people can spread out in comfortable seating with enough room for pushchairs, and even if there are a few kids around the childless will not be too bothered by them!
simon

Post by simon »

For help on premises contact our high street manager; Julie Sutch I think her name is. Also you could do worse than attend one of the free seminars hosted by Lewisham Business Advice Service, then perhaps consult one of there caseworkers.
Cafes are the most popular type of new business opening in Lewisham, followed by haridressers. They are also, statstically, the most likely to fail so you have to be pretty special and well funded to survive.
Good luck
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It would be interesting if the results of the survey were published in here.

I said that we need something that is a credit to the high street, well designed, not overpriced but quality.

Incredibly there isn't anywhere in Sydenham to eat Pizza, there is no Thai restaurant either.

Head for the gap in the market, don't become part of the crowd. You need to offer something different, exciting and unique. Then make it look like the offer. People do judge a book by its cover, how your business looks reflects not only on your, but the high street as a whole.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

simon wrote:For help on premises contact our high street manager; Julie Sutch I think her name is.
Correct. Here is an out of date listing of empty retail premises. The one's still unfilled may be the most desperate for your trade: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/shopshop/

Admin
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have filled in the surveymonkey questionnaire - hope you find my comments useful. The only other thing that I would add is that you said earlier that one of you is Australian - I hope that you can bring some Australian coffee culture to Sydenham. I really liked the coffee there when I visited and I have been to Flat White in Soho a few times since. It is an Australian coffee shop and would be well worth replicating in some form - see http://www.flat-white.co.uk/
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Yeah a decent coffee shop like flat white would be great, only problem with Flat White is they take ages to make it & the food isnt that great but in the top 5 best coffee shops in Soho. Just make sure you get your beans from Monmouth Coffee shop in Covent Garden (where FW does).

Now whether there's enough people to buy this type of coffee in Sydenham is another question :)
PhoebeBexy

Post by PhoebeBexy »

Hi all

Your responses are all very encouraging - people seem interested!

We just want to assure everyone that we are not being naive and we are going in to this potential venture with open minds and we understand that a loss would be our own and no-one elses.

We are hoping to offer something that neither the cafes nor greasy spoons currently in Syd do by creating a high quality and affordable/family friendly cafe open during the day which transforms into a casual restaurant with a high quality menu at night; something we feel is not achieved by the current businesses on the High Street.

Thank to all of you for your friendly replies, encouragement, responses and constructive criticism. It is all greatly appreciated and it does not go unheard.

Thanks!

Phoebe & Bexy
sophie

Post by sophie »

Somewhere to go in the evening would be great. I definitely think that is lacking in Sydenham although there are pubs and other restaurants sometimes I fancy going somewhere that is more chilled. Have you checked out Domali in Crystal Palace? They do that kind of thing.
JustinaR

Post by JustinaR »

I've just caught up with all the discussions about a new cafe in Sydenham.

I've only been living in the area for eight months and have a young son.
It would be great to take him along to a place that was child friendly and where I could meet other families in the area.

I do support Sugahill and the Blue Mountain Cafe aswell.

It's up to us as a community to support any new business venture that will improve the high street and it's nice to know that there are people taking a genuine interest.

Of course starting up any new business is a risk and I think that you should take your time researching the area.
By the way have you looked at the vacant shops on Kirkdale?

Please keep us all posted on how you get on and good luck!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Personally I think there is room in the market for a new cafe in Sydenham. Has anyone noticed how busy Blue Mountain gets on the weekend?? Partner and I now approach with trepidation, thinking "will we get a table".... that has to suggest people are open to this sort of thing! We don't need another greasy spoon but I think another Blue Mountain/Sugahill style place, particularly one that is open in the evenings or does a slightly different type of food.

Just echoing JustinaR, there are empty shops on Kirkdale up towards the junction with Dartmouth Road. I know it's not quite so central but the Italian restaurant there seems to get plenty of trade so I think it could be a viable location....

Anyway, best of luck to you both from another fellow Aussie who misses the cafe culture!