7 Kent House Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

7 Kent House Road

Post by syd »

Evening all. I just got notification of planning for a basement cafe and roof terrace at 7 KHR. Does anyone know what going on? Cheers Syd
angela53

Re: 7 Kent House Road

Post by angela53 »

No I don` but very interesting
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Is that the Steptoes furniture shop that has been closed for years?
None of the more recent shops in that small block lasted long.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Not enough footfall and just the wrong place for shops ...needs changing to residential ....??
furnituresolutions

Post by furnituresolutions »

Hi,

Anyone knows who's the landlord of these commercial properties at 3-5-7 Kent house Road? They are closed for a while I am looking for a place like this to hire and open a shop.
Thanks
Balint
Lord Summerisle

Post by Lord Summerisle »

HI, 5 Kent House I am unsure, there is a very elderly person / couple who live upstairs, they or their children (adult) may be able to help. 7 Kent House is under approval for a cafe but has been so forever so unsure what's happening there, 3 I don't know unfortunately.
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Balint, I dropped you a PM about 5 Kent Hse Rd.

Louise
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

For a business to work down there, it would have to be exceptional and be a destination or be an office or work mostly off the internet. There is zero footfall. As it's mostly residential anything that may disrupt its residential neighbors will probably be objected or have conditions imposed (as Late Knights found out).

I too think that these would be better converted into flats, as long as they retain the character of a shop. I've been in the flat next to the Alfred which is really lovely, both inside and out and look slike it belongs in the road. Most conversions look terrible.
Pally

Post by Pally »

leenewham wrote:For a business to work down there, it would have to be exceptional and be a destination or be an office or work mostly off the internet. There is zero footfall. As it's mostly residential anything that may disrupt its residential neighbors will probably be objected or have conditions imposed (as Late Knights found out).

I too think that these would be better converted into flats, as long as they retain the character of a shop. I've been in the flat next to the Alfred which is really lovely, both inside and out and look slike it belongs in the road. Most conversions look terrible.
The ground floor of the house in kent house on the corner of watlington grove (opposite the tyre place) used to be an off licence and was converted back to residential ...quite successfully I think. No reason why the others couldn't be
furnituresolutions

Post by furnituresolutions »

Hi, Thanks the info by Louise but didnt work, the number I called had no idea about Kent house Rd property. I am planning to open a special bed and mattress showroom, clients would come by appointments and from online I was thinking would be good for start even if not high street it's not necessary. Shame they dont have a phone number on the doors or any contact details.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

No 9 seems to be for sale, though it's a house, not a shop!

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/306 ... itula_feed
ElyBUK1

Post by ElyBUK1 »

Hello. My husband and I went to view #9 KHR. It is an interesting property but in need of a lot of TLC. The agent said that it would likely be bought by a property development firm and then converted into a couple of flats. That would be a shame, as it is the first house in this interesting row of Victorian houses and would become a real beauty if restored completely. There is a significant crack in the back wall, which runs down the 1st floor to the lower ground floor, which resulted in flooding in the bathroom. In fact, the bathroom's ceiling had fallen through due to the flooding. The agent said that it would cost £100k+ to alone fix the crack.

It's a cute corner but like others have said, suffers from very little footfall. I jog by this corner frequently and take my little one on walks past the Alfred but am not hopeful that this area will be significantly re-energised ... but good luck to the businesses that might open up there!
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Are those houses really Victorian? Anyone know the history.....?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

those houses are Victorian, but a few houses around there are even older, Georgian, on the west side of KHR, as here

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.42497 ... 312!8i6656
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Wow, didn't realise those are Georgian!
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

I live around there and looked up the history of the houses at Lewisham archives. Many are early 1860s and were lived in by families with one or two servants. My house was lived in by a retired female publican with her niece and a maid. All the occupations are listed along with names of residents in the old street directories. The houses also were not numbered as they now are, but were divided into terraces with grand names like 'Kent house villas'. I spent ages at the archives. I found it fascinating. Most of Kent house road was still open countryside once you get beyond where the Victorian houses finish now.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

Kent House R............ very interesting information. I wonder if Sydenham library has any more info in their local history section. Would be great to get it all written up somewhere!
Thanks for sharing.
Kent House R

Post by Kent House R »

Thanks. Yes. Very interesting. Another snippet of interest is that there were several German and Swiss people living in the road. in the 1880s I recall.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

You mean you were there in the 1880s and can remember that far back??? !!!!!!!!!!
solo29

Post by solo29 »

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on the landlords of 3-5-7 Kent House Road? I have Investors ready to take it off their hands. Can someone please PM me if you have any information on the landlords.

Thanks
Solomon.