RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
monkeyarms

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by monkeyarms »

Where did you get that idea? (About the Greyhound being bought by the owners of the Dolphin) If you scroll up this thread, you'll read some pretty convincing research into who bought the Greyhound.
parker

Post by parker »

monkeyarms wrote:Where did you get that idea? (About the Greyhound being bought by the owners of the Dolphin) If you scroll up this thread, you'll read some pretty convincing research into who bought the Greyhound.
Anything is possible, Catford has two Costa Coffee outlets, both large at that. Anything in possible.
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

Hey, the manager of Acorn told me about four weeks ago..... obvs could be wrong but i thought he should / would be a reliable source. J
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Oh, well if it's true it's a bit of shame. Not that there's anything wrong with the Dolphin of course, it was just that the last tantalising titbit of info suggested that there might have been some new blood in the area. I wonder why someone would apply for a license for a pub they didn't own?

"A license had been applied for in the name of "the greyhound sydenham ltd"

The director of that company is Garry Mallen
Some of the other pubs Mr Mallen seems to be involved with are:-
The Lockside (Camden)
http://www.locksidecamden.com/
The Horse and Groom (Dartford)
http://www.thehorseandgroomwilmington.com
The Windsor Castle (Clapton)
http://www.thewindsorcastleclapton.com
Kelsey House (Beckenham)
http://kelseyhousebr3.co.uk
And Brixton Jamm"
Doubles

Post by Doubles »

when i'm next in Dolphin I will try and corroborate the new lead...
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Alcohol licence has been granted.

With the pub licensed to trade the buyer hopes to complete the sale shortly.

Next comes design and fitting out and a schedule of work to be produced.

I think we can say we are on our way...
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Hurrah !!
jimhay

Post by jimhay »

I saw a small Purelake van parked outside the Greyhound this morning, so fingers crossed progress is coming...
prince

Post by prince »

Good to see someone has had a bit of a tidy up around the site recently. Thank you if it's our gorilla gardeners!
prince

Post by prince »

I've heard a rumour that the new owner should be starting on site in the next week or so and that the Greyhound should be open by August. Let's hope the rumour is true and we are on the home strait!
JRobinson

Re: #RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be open by August 2017?

Post by JRobinson »

Open by August 2017?! wonders will never cease!
SIMONTREWIN

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

I looked inside the new Acorn site on Saturday and there was a massive flat screen tv being installed on the wall, at Ring O' Nandos there were architects in marking up various pillars and bits of the floor for remodeling and over at the Hound there were some guys going in to 'measure up for the conservatory' so spring has definitely sprung. Let's hope that we all like what transpires..
prince

Post by prince »

SIMONTREWIN wrote:I looked inside the new Acorn site on Saturday and there was a massive flat screen tv being installed on the wall, at Ring O' Nandos there were architects in marking up various pillars and bits of the floor for remodeling and over at the Hound there were some guys going in to 'measure up for the conservatory' so spring has definitely sprung. Let's hope that we all like what transpires..

Thanks for that. This is such good news. I am very much looking forward to seeing how it all takes shape.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Any more news or action? Summer is approaching!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Well Acorn is open - if you call that progress.

Stuart
parker

Post by parker »

stuart wrote:Well Acorn is open - if you call that progress.

Stuart
It's such a waste of a nice space, as far as we all don't want chain coffee shops in Sydenham (because we're allowed to be as picky as we like) a Starbucks with their modern black signage would've looked really smart in that location.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

parker wrote:

Stuart
It's such a waste of a nice space, as far as we all don't want chain coffee shops in Sydenham (because we're allowed to be as picky as we like) a Starbucks with their modern black signage would've looked really smart in that location.
I would prefer a tatty front to a great coffee shop over Starbucks.

There are many coffee shops in the immediate area; maybe a smart cafe-type bar would have been better. Something along the lines of House of Tippler in ED. Something slightly different to 161.

Can we change the heading to this thread too? Would be nice to have the Greyhound open by April 2018.
parker

Post by parker »

Mayowthorpe wrote:
parker wrote:

Stuart
I would prefer a tatty front to a great coffee shop over Starbucks.

There are many coffee shops in the immediate area; maybe a smart cafe-type bar would have been better. Something along the lines of House of Tippler in ED. Something slightly different to 161.

Can we change the heading to this thread too? Would be nice to have the Greyhound open by April 2018.
I don't think anything independent can afford that unit, nor any of the units in that immediate area, chain estate agents are opening instead.

My point was that if it's only chain stores that can afford them, I'd rather a Starbucks than Acorn, because it would do a fantastic job of smartening the perception of the area as a whole, there are plenty of units further down the road for the tatty looking ones (not mentioning any names) :wink:
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

:lol: no one is going to commit to changing the date on this thread and nor should we. Let's revel in the shame of the entire debacle and start a new thread only when it is finally open and has served its first drinks!
biscuitman1978

#RebuildTheGreyhound - pub to be rebuilt by April 2015?

Post by biscuitman1978 »

The Sydenham Society Summer Newsletter reports that:
Sydenham Society Summer Newsletter wrote:.The new owner has been in touch to say that the architect will be submitting building control applications hopefully within the next month or so, with a view to starting work in July.

“We don't have a finished design as yet, but to give you a flavour of the style of operation, I guess it will be most like The Lord Northbrook in Lee - a quality pub serving its local community. The Greyhound will be dog friendly!

“We have a policy that well behaved children and dogs are welcome during appropriate hours.”
(Thanks to the Sydenham Society for this information and permission to reproduce the article from its newsletter.)