Starts tonight! Three Men in a Boat at the Sydenham Centre

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Spontaneous

Starts tonight! Three Men in a Boat at the Sydenham Centre

Post by Spontaneous »

Take your mind off all the doom and gloom in the world at the moment and unwind with some aimless yet supremely hilarious Victorian silliness.

Spontaneous Productions launches its programme of theatre for grown-ups with Three Men in a Boat - a new adaptation of Jerome K Jerome's classic comic novel - arguably one of the funniest books ever written.

Starting tonight at 8pm (Wed 24 May) - the show runs Wed-Sat until Sat 10 June. Please note there is no performance on Thu 8 June, with an extra show added on Tue 6 June. Tickets are £15 full price and £12 concessions inc under 16s. The show is suitable for all except young children.

Tickets may be purchased on the door or in advance online here http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/eve ... om-24-may/

or at Kirkdale Bookshop (020 8778 4701)

Support Sydenham's only professional theatre company and come along!
Syddersisters

Re: Starts tonight! Three Men in a Boat at the Sydenham Cent

Post by Syddersisters »

Amazing well done guys, we'll come and check it out in the second week!
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Three Men in a Boat was, and still is, a very funny book. I suspect many people, if they have heard of it at all, associate it with the farcical 1956 film version starring Jimmy Edwards, or the 1975 TV adaptation by Tom Stoppard as a travelogue. Spontaneous Productions have remained more true to the book, and the result is a delight. The acting and stagecraft were of an astonishingly high standard; so much so that I was flabbergasted that this was a small production in a community centre playing to, last night, a regrettably small house. It merited a larger stage and audience. They even had an animatronic dog for the role of the terrier Montmorency. This was slick and sophisticated stuff with not a whiff of the amateur about it.

The individual performances were excellent and the songs (not too many of those) witty and tuneful. My wife and I intend to spread the word about it to our friends, and go to see it again with them. I very strongly recommend that others make the time before 10th June to catch the production; you will be missing a small gem if you do not.

Regards
Chris
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Thanks - I've also heard great reports of this production and have bought my ticket. They are available on-line http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/eve ... om-24-may/
or at Kirkdale Bookshop
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the Dog!!)
Went to see this last night (Friday) By Jove, what a jolly good show.

The cast Ross Townsend Green, Joseph Clowser and William Hastings were superb the actress playing Mrs Poppets was also brilliant, but unfortunately the programme lists 3 names down for this role and I don't know which one was on last night.

I can't recommend going to see this enough, it's a real little gem in a local venue, well worth going to see. It's a real delight to watch with plenty of humour (look out for Montmerency the real star of the show).

There were some children in the show when I went and they were in fits of giggles but this is not aimed at children.

There's a small bar selling Sydenham Brewed Beer and some Wine.

Sydenham, let's support more shows like this, go and buy a ticket, you won't be disappointed.
marky.com

Post by marky.com »

A brilliant show. The cast were great with brilliant musical accompaniment and vocal performances. You won't forget Montmorency in a hurry.

Definitely worth going to see.
prince

Post by prince »

Bloody good local production. Go and see it - very enjoyable!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Don't think this topic should be allowed to disappear beneath the horizon yet!

Saw Three Men in a Boat, not to mention the animated dog, Montmorency, last night - very imaginative, and great fun with a good appreciative audience. On tonight and next week - Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and one day the following week due to no performance Thursday, as the Sydenham Centre will be used as a Polling Station.

Here's a local theatre company with lots of talent and imagination - Sydenham needs uplifting? Well why not start by supporting Spontaneous Productions? Tickets available through Kirkdale Bookshop.
Spontaneous

Post by Spontaneous »

Thanks to everyone who has posted about the show so far - we've had great feedback and would love to see you at the show this week, so if you haven't already booked please do so here http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/eve ... om-24-may/

Tickets can also be bought on the door, from 7.30pm onwards, subject to availability. Or get them in person at Kirkdale Bookshop, or by phone on 020 8778 4701.

There are just FOUR more chances to see the show - Tue 6, Wed 7, Fri 9 and Sat 10 June. Please note there is NO performance on Thu 8 June, as the Sydenham Centre is being used as a polling station.

Hopefully see you at the show!

Jonathan Kaufman
Director, http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/
Syddersisters

Post by Syddersisters »

Looking forward to this! Bringing 4 people down for it. Hope it's going well and thanks for bringing affordable theatre to the area!
simon

Post by simon »

Saw this last night and it was truly excellent. A very professional production and I would urge everyone to go and see it before it closes.
Spontaneous

Post by Spontaneous »

Just two more chances to see the show: tonight (Friday 9 June) and tomorrow (Sat 10 June) at 8pm. Tickets will be available on the door or book in person at Kirkdale Bookshop before 6pm or online up to 1 hour before the show starts here:
http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/eve ... om-24-may/

And if you'd like to meet Director Jonathan Kaufman, come along to the Marketplace Event at Sydenham Centre tomorrow (Sat 10 June) between 11.30am-1.30pm. He will be manning a stall and inviting the public to find out more about his company, so come along and say hello.

http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/