The Journey Cafe

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayowthorpe

The Journey Cafe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

This just opened on Kirkdale.

https://twitter.com/journey_cafe

It looks like a good addition to the area!
parker

Re: The Journey Cafe

Post by parker »

Looks beautiful, although might need to change the external signage at some point. The freshly baked bread is the best thing to happen to Kirkdale since The Crusty Cob!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It look's great.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Nice looking place. Will pay it a visit soon.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Yes, they've made an effort with the outside, and the inside appears not to have furniture from a skip, so thumbs-up so far for the decor. If they've got a nice toilet they'll get more points. 'Gluten free' rings a few alarm bells, but let's see.
Pally

Post by Pally »

KPR wrote:. 'Gluten free' rings a few alarm bells, but let's see.
Oh dear me!!! :roll: :roll: Are you coming out with this stuff to be provocative or is it for real? Just wondering!!!
KPR

Post by KPR »

Bit of both maybe - fact is gluten free cakes are not as nice as those made with proper flour, and the number of people with genuine issues with gluten is very small compared to those who claim to have such trendy allergies. So, as long as they have proper cakes too, no problem, but if they're 100% gluten free they won't see me a second time.
mkoala

Post by mkoala »

Stopped in Journeys Cafe on Saturday I really liked it, had a coffee and freshly made sandwich. Other half had a coffee and cake. I'll definitely go back, especially as the coffee is not that flowery stuff you get everywhere else. The bread in the sandwich was also yummy. The cake was nice, my partner really liked it. I thought it could have been sweeter but there were others to try out for next time.

Not sure why they needed to change the name though.

The location also meant I went into Mabel's five a dime vintage shop which was celebrating its 1st birthday. Can't believe I've not been in before. Brought a length of vintage fabric and some earrings. There was also some nice furniture which seemed to be reasonably priced. Another place likely to get a repeat visit.
Lord Summerisle

Post by Lord Summerisle »

Looks beautifully decked out, really attractive both in and out but i'd have to agree I'd be immediately turned off by the dairy free & gluten stuff. I take no pleasure in that, it would just have me going somewhere else. It just conjures the whiff of the hemp sandal and and home made nettle wine. £2.30 for a Brownie also seems a bit steep and not for the average working men / woman. God that all sounds negative but it is only my opinion and i wish them every success.
SteveG85

Post by SteveG85 »

I went for the first time today. I agree with everyone else that it looks great inside and out, a really good addition to the Kirkdale high street. I had a coffee and brownie and both were brilliant. Each to their own on healthy vs unhealthy food I guess, but I prefer the former. Particularly when it tastes that good