Save Beer Rebellion - we need your help!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SydenhamOwl

Re: Save Beer Rebellion - we need your help!

Post by SydenhamOwl »

Is there any update on this? Will the rebellion be reopening?
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Seems like the campaign has died a death. I emailed the guy running it to ask, but never got a reply – and I'm someone who expressed interest in investing. Shame, as it really wouldn't have taken much.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

shame, I was looking forward to it reopening.
Lord Summerisle

Post by Lord Summerisle »

HI, has anyone heard anything further on this? If this couple did indeed table an offer that was accepted then they've taken months to do anything and it looks like it's not happening. We saw two folk, literally 3 or more months ago going in there with hideous looking fabrics and decorations who I assume were the two in question. I can only now assume they've pulled out. This would seems despicable if it were at the cost of locals who would have taken the place over and kept its original ethos.
Mayowthorpe

Post by Mayowthorpe »

Lord Summerisle wrote:HI, has anyone heard anything further on this? If this couple did indeed table an offer that was accepted then they've taken months to do anything and it looks like it's not happening. We saw two folk, literally 3 or more months ago going in there with hideous looking fabrics and decorations who I assume were the two in question. I can only now assume they've pulled out. This would seems despicable if it were at the cost of locals who would have taken the place over and kept its original ethos.
It could be a case of having to get planning permission from Lewisham Council.

That alone can take 6-12 months.
Lord Summerisle

Post by Lord Summerisle »

Perhaps you're right, I hope so. I thought that all the requisite planning would already have been in place from the previous incumbents but perhaps not if they're making substantial change. You would think however they'd have done some comms. to both retain the clients from before and to get some word of mouth going for new folk. The complete silence both on social media and indeed on the shop facade itself suggests to me they've jacked it in. As I say, I hope not.
sydnami

Post by sydnami »

So, the old BR site is going to be "a comedy venue with stand-up, improv, classes and workshops, and day time kids events". Also still a licensed bar.

Much as I'll miss BR, this does sound rather good, and a real shot in the arm for that end of the high street..
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tell us more, do!
sydnami

Post by sydnami »

Looks like it's going to be called The Poodle Club, run by the people behind the comedy night of the same name that used to run in Stoke Newington.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is great news.
SydenhamOwl

Post by SydenhamOwl »

I walked past BR yesterday and the new owners were giving away some free stuff (general household items) outside. I spoke to them briefly and both seem very friendly. They also have a poodle, hence the name.

Let's hope its a success!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Are you for real? Jesus!!!
prince

Post by prince »

leenewham wrote:Are you for real? Jesus!!!

Couldn't agree more Lee.
prince

Post by prince »

rod taylor wrote:A north London comedy club that comes into an area and starts off by gazumping a community pub. It'll be a while before it makes me laugh.

Could we at least not discuss it in Matt's thread?
Rod,

I, and I believe Lee, were referring to your comment above. As I understand it, from your previous post in May, the landlord decided to go with another offer and as you acknowledged at the time "hey, that's business!"

I don't therefore see what the problem with this, hardly gazumping in by books. A landlord will expect to receive the highest return and if there was a better offer on the table why shouldn't they?

I really welcome investment into the town and this sounds like something quite different.
Pally

Post by Pally »

rod taylor wrote:A north London comedy club that comes into an area and starts off by gazumping a community pub. It'll be a while before it makes me laugh.

Could we at least not discuss it in Matt's thread?
Someone is trying something new and novel! Who cares if its no longer a community pub, its better than another empty space !!
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

It's better than an empty space. But there is something a bit shitty in attending meetings about turning the place into a community bar, and at those meetings receiving all the info about the costs and overheads and essentials about the running of the bar, and listening to all the ideas of others there about the project, and picking up on the enthusiasm... and then putting in your own offer. It's not hugely shitty, it's not a Philip Green level of shittiness, but it's definitely a little bit shitty. Not something I would do, personally. I do hope they reconsider the name too, it's really naff.
Larky

Post by Larky »

Gosh and folks wonder why no new business is keen to come to Sydenham !
Larky

Post by Larky »

Rod, I was actually referring to your comment that you will not be visiting the new venue (sorry, I don't know how to copy a previous comment).

We are trying to encourage new businesses to come to Sydenham, the first sign of a new business taking interest and you will not support them !
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

what they've done is a bit cheeky, and a lot of us did want Beer Rebellion to survive, but I'm sure a lot of those same people will visit the new comedy venue (even if it's just to laugh at the décor :) )
Pally

Post by Pally »

monkeyarms wrote:It's better than an empty space. But there is something a bit shitty in attending meetings about turning the place into a community bar, and at those meetings receiving all the info about the costs and overheads and essentials about the running of the bar, and listening to all the ideas of others there about the project, and picking up on the enthusiasm... and then putting in your own offer. It's not hugely shitty, it's not a Philip Green level of shittiness, but it's definitely a little bit shitty. Not something I would do, personally. I do hope they reconsider the name too, it's really naff.
So did Beer Rebellion not go ahead BECAUSE of this offer or was BR not going ahead, and then the new offer was put in?