Fig and Pistachio closing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
appletree

Fig and Pistachio closing

Post by appletree »

Very sorry to have to report that the French cafe Fig and Pistachio on Kirkdale is having to close on 21 July. The owner, Isabelle, reports that the landlord wants the property for another purpose. This is a great shame, as the cafe was a wonderful addition to that run of shops and had excellent coffee and food. I worry about that stretch a lot -- too many longterm empty premises, the Windmill in constant limbo, etc. The area could be thriving and it's a shame that one of its best assets is going to disappear through no desire of its owner. The new Journey Cafe in the Woodman is a good thing, but we need more to boost this area.
leenewham

Re: Fig and Pistachio closing

Post by leenewham »

That's a shame. I hope they can relocate.
topofthehill

Post by topofthehill »

Apparently they are closing, not relocating.
prince

Post by prince »

I do hope they can relocate. A great local business.
appletree

Post by appletree »

Isabelle says she will not reopen elsewhere, unfortunately.
appletree

Post by appletree »

I forgot to say that Isabelle wants to sell all her equipment so stop in if you would like to buy anything.
KPR

Post by KPR »

That is a shame - wasn't a regular user as it's not near to me, but used to pop in on way to Horniman now and again. Wonder what the landlord intends to do with it - it isn't that big after all.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Application has gone in for a change of use to a one bedroom "flat" its a tiny space DC/17/104094 such a shame to use another shop, especially as more shops are opening in the area and Fig and Pistachio was such a lovely place.
appletree

Post by appletree »

We thought this was probably going to happen. We ought to object. Isabelle did not want to close but was forced by the landlord. Thanks for the info as we will file an objection.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

Work has begun, looks like the bathrooms going in, according to the planning website i can’t see that the change of use has been approved.
Builders are still working despite it being after 1pm and the pavement is full of rubble, pedestrians can’t pass. I’ve been told this will be gone in an hour several times throughout the day.
The neighbouring property was also converted to a flat from a shop, despite change of use being deniedby the planning dept.

Will this be yet another unsuitable accommodation squeezed into a tiny space, to provide the landlord lucrative rental income without any intervention by the council? Probably. (Sorry really fed up )
marymck

Post by marymck »

Planning permission hasn't been granted for this. An application is in for "prior approval", but that hasn't been decided yet. For those who don't know, 101 Kirkdale (Fig & Pistachio) is opposite the Woodman (where a similar application was submitted) and these two buildings are in prominent positions in the Portas Pilot/SEE3 funded old Kirkdale high street (Sydenham's original high street. So for this to happen is a bad knock to hopes of regeneration ... and really, really sad for lovely Isabelle.

Unfortunately for 101, the builder knows that Lewisham Council is shut down over the weekends (for all but social services emergencies), hence the trashing of a viable and popular business site happens at the weekend.

The planning case is still open for anyone who wants to comment. Link below. If anyone wants to comment the easiest route is to email your comments to the Case Officer: Andrew.Harris@lewisham.gov.uk with a cc to Planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Enforcement could make the landlord reinstate the shop.

http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_91996
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Increasing housing supply will help to moderate rents and prices, and allow more people to enjoy living in our area.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

I completely agree, however living in a very small box on a busy road with obscured windows would be like living in a cell. Is that a welcome to sydenham?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Turning a shop into a flat won't make ANY difference to housing supply or house prices.

Unless the market is flooded with cheap housing, far below current levels, house/flat prices won't go down. But that isn't going to happen.

This is on a high street. It should remain a shop. It's a poor landlord that has no interest in the area or real understanding of how high streets work. This is short sighted at best.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

Unfortunately the landlord, as their right, is probably only interested in the potential yield and capital growth of the property.

You can't blame them for that, they want to make money just like everyone else.

I would think by beginning the work before planning approval demonstrates someone who is confident it will go through and has past experience of dealing with authorities..
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
Fully agree - the housing crisis has created an environment where landlords can turn towns into favellas with crappy housing and buggered up streetscapes with inappropriate architectural eyesores , whilst people defend them as somehow contributing to the housing stock .
It also reveals the lack of resources, ambition and interest on the part of a local authority to stop the area falling prey to anyone that wants to make money by ripping out what was a promising business with a lot of local support .
How can this be right decent or desirable .
A very good afternoon
Nigel
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

The builders work continues all weekend, started at 8am on a Sunday, Its very noisy.

I've spoken to them and they are defiant, i get told they will be finished in an hour, the ]noise is deafening, I've phoned the council - environmental health work 9-5 monday to Friday so have left a message and emailed them.

Has anyone any ideas to help me deal with these inconsiderate builders,property developer?
appletree

Post by appletree »

I got in touch with Planning last week and was told their enforcement people are involved. The planning officer wrote back right away and was helpful. I suggest you contact them again at the email addresses listed above. I know this will not help today but might get the matter dealt with eventually.

I was also told the landlord had already applied for change of use so am not sure what we can do about the loss of the shop.
marymck

Post by marymck »

He's applied for change of use Appletree, but it's not been granted yet and he shouldn't have started work without permission. Even if he gets permission (which I hope he won't), it's pretty much a standard condition of Lewisham Planning that no building works should take place after 13.00 hrs on a Saturday and not at all on a Sunday. Quite how this gets policed when LBL only work Mon-Fri office hours only, is a mystery.

The owner has now applied for a Lawful Development Certificate to cover the illegal works he carried out to the adjacent 251 Dartmouth Road, where he similarly converted ground floor commercial premises to residential. In that case not only had permission been refused by the local planning authorities, but he also appealed to the Planning Inspectorate ... where he lost.

It's not too late for anyone with concerns to object to either application, as he could be made to restore the Fig & Pistachio site at least. I think (at least I hope) LBL Enforcement have more teeth and more staff than they did a few years ago, when we had just one poor over stretched officer dealing with the whole of Lewisham South. So this property developer may just find LBL not the pushover it has been in the past.
appletree

Post by appletree »

Yes, everyone concerned please do write in. I was asked if our email should be recorded as an official objection and said yes. Also this work over the weekends should be reported. Email addresses earlier in the thread.