Liveable Neighbourhood for SE26 and SE23

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
brencud

Liveable Neighbourhood for SE26 and SE23

Post by brencud »

Hi everyone,

Last week the Mayor of London and TfL announced an £85.9 million fund for boroughs to spend on greener and healthier public spaces:
https://www.london.gov.uk/city-hall-blo ... lic-spaces

I'm really keen that we get some of this money to spend in our part of Lewisham. Together with the Forest Hill Society and the Sydenham Society, I'm building a team to work with the local community to develop ideas for how we can improve our streets and public spaces. We will then bring our ideas to the Council and hopefully get some of that money to make them a reality.

If this sounds of interest and you can spare a little spare time to help move it forward, please get in touch. There are no skill requirements, only enthusiasm.

Thanks,
Brendan
sydres

Re: Liveable Neighbourhood for SE26 and SE23

Post by sydres »

Well done for starting this thread. Some thoughts:

1. Trees for Sydenham High Street (high priority)
2. Bell Green gas holders park
3. Further play equipment - Mayow Park
4. Station Approach (Sydenham) - soft landscaping

Good luck!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree with this list Sydres.

Lewisham don't seem to like trees that much though. The high street and surrounding streets have a lot of weeds on the paving, which seems to suggest that our local authority have cut back on the general upkeep compared to other boroughs (the contrast between Bromley and Lewisham is stark regarding trees and greenery). There were all sorts of reasons why we couldn't have more trees in the high street in Sydenham, yet when I've worked with other local authorities on high streets, it's never been an issue and Lewisham are extremely 'this is our policy' regarding how it deals with it's high streets.

Having a green collection system would encourage people to look after the gardens and back gardens more.

So enthusiasm and persistence is definitely required to make this change. I hope Alan Hall becomes the next Mayor, he's a real 'can do' kinda guy and may make the changes required to turn Lewisham into a much greener borough.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

The play equipment in local parks is pretty dismal compared with, say, Dulwich or Greenwich Park. So definitely an area of potential improvement,
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Given the unacceptable volume of through motor traffic and total absence of cycling infrastructure, maybe some changes to the roads in and around the High St?

Wouldn't be very expensive to close it to through traffic (a few bollards), and it could promote links to cycling routes elsewhere in the Borough.
brencud

Post by brencud »

Thanks all for the suggestions. They are gratefully received.

In due course we will seek views from across the community so please do think about what you'd like to see improved (not just improvements to public spaces, but also how we can improve our streets to enable people to choose healthy, active travel modes across the area).

However, the immediate priority is to assemble a team to enable us to collate these views and ideas from across the community, so if you're interested in taking an active role in this please let me know.
MovedtoSydenham

Post by MovedtoSydenham »

Hi Brencud,

I would be interested in participating. Especially in promoting and thinking about ways to create a cycling friendly neighbourhood with less traffic and fumes. Being a Dutchie I know that can make a huge difference to the quality of life!

How do I participate?
brencud

Post by brencud »

@MovedtoSydenham - it would be great to have you on board. If you send me a private message with your email address I will be in touch with details.

Thanks!
Maria

Post by Maria »

leenewham wrote:
So enthusiasm and persistence is definitely required to make this change. I hope Alan Hall becomes the next Mayor, he's a real 'can do' kinda guy and may make the changes required to turn Lewisham into a much greener borough.
I too am very much hoping he does - we need him.