Putting cooker in chimney breast

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Hissing Syd

Putting cooker in chimney breast

Post by Hissing Syd »

Morning,

I've recently bought a range cooker that I would like setting back into the chimney breast in my kitchen. Finding advice/information about this is proving much harder than I anticipated, so wondered if anyone here had done this, and if so could you tell me how you handled extraction? I want to have an extractor and lights above the cooker, but there seems to be an issue with how you would vent it.

I also recently wondered if there was a better way to use this forum as a resource for people to recommend tradesmen etc - perhaps a dedicated section for this?

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks.
Parker1970

Re: Putting cooker in chimney breast

Post by Parker1970 »

Hissing Syd wrote:
I also recently wondered if there was a better way to use this forum as a resource for people to recommend tradesmen etc - perhaps a dedicated section for this?

Any advice gratefully received, many thanks.
Can't help with cooker advice, but there are forums for services offered/wanted:-

https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thanks Parker1970 - I am aware of them, but thought something more specific for builders, plumbers etc might be an idea, as they frequently crop up, though maybe it's unnecessary.

A very kind poster has just DM'd exactly the information I needed, so fingers crossed!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

is the Wanted section no good for this sort of thing?
marymck

Post by marymck »

If you're venting up the chimney stack you need to check you have an adequate flue liner. Quite apart from the risk of poisoning or suffocating anyone in the room above, you'll definitely need one if you're in a Victorian terrace and you're venting into a chimney breast that's against a party wall. We used to get all the smells from our neighbour's cooking percolating through into our house. Really noxious stuff. They seem to have cooked a lot of chips. Luckily a builder bought the property a few years ago and moved the cooker to an outside wall, so we don't get the smells any more. We had to replaster to get rid of the stain though.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Once you remove any mantlepiece,fire surround grat, firelining and choke you will be left with what is called a "builder's opening" the top of the front of the chimney brest will have a lintle in place, which may need to be moved up the breast if you want a larger front opening.

Extraction: Line the flue and put the extractor fan at the top, otherwise it wont be strong enough to push the air up the flue.

There is good info here:
http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/
which is all about installing wood burners but lots of relevant info regarding breaking into a chimney etc.
http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/art ... fireplace/
Good luck
SP
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thanks Mary and SP - fingers crossed I now have the information I need. With luck I will soon get the job done, and my neighbour will never get a whiff of my chips.

In terms of the Wanted section, it just seems a bit loose and generic for this. Sydenham is currently an area with a constant influx of people moving in and wanting work done on their (largely period) properties, and this only looks set to increase. It seems to me a good idea to corral information on trades and services in one dedicated place, so if one wanted a recommendation for a builder, plumber, electrician etc that'd be the place to look... but it's just a thought/suggestion.