RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Re: sticky: RUMOURS: CINEMA AND NANDOS COMING TO SYDENHAM

Post by Likelife »

rod taylor wrote:
Likelife wrote:People don't eat at Nandos daily, not even weekly and objecting Sainsbury's Local on the basis of making people fat is ridiculous.
Why can none of you people read? I've explained at length the link between consumer convenience living and obesity so to reduce my argument to the above is dumb.
I totally understand what you have said. However, unless people learn or can be bothered to cook good healthy meals at home, this will not change. Objecting to investment from Nandos will not change this. I enjoy cooking, baking and most of the time I make my dinners from scratch, but I also eat out. There, of course, needs to be a balance. If Nandos or whatever doesn't come people will just order it or go to another branch, as they do now. Same for Sainsbury's Local. People fundamentally need to change what they want to eat and drink. This is done by education or exposing people to a whole load of food out there which is healthy.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Likelife wrote:
I totally understand what you have said. However, unless people learn or can be bothered to cook good healthy meals at home, this will not change. Objecting to investment from Nandos will not change this. I enjoy cooking, baking and most of the time I make my dinners from scratch, but I also eat out. There, of course, needs to be a balance. If Nandos or whatever doesn't come people will just order it or go to another branch, as they do now. Same for Sainsbury's Local. People fundamentally need to change what they want to eat and drink. This is done by education or exposing people to a whole load of food out there which is healthy.
Here's the thing. I learned to cook, my mum taught me, I even did evening classes for 4 years as a teenager, I can whip up a 3 course healthy meal no problem.

However. Sometimes I simply don't want to. Sometimes I want something unhealthy just because I can. But mostly the problem for me is that by the time I get home from work around 715pm, cooking something from scratch means sitting down to eat around 8pm, going to bed just 2 hours later. It's simply not doable every work day. So convenience foods have their place.

No one is suggesting you should eat Nando's / microwave meas / kebab etc EVERY day of the week, but if someone wants to do that 2-3 days a week then they should be able to.

Some of the problem is that the media sometimes scares the public too much. If we avoided every food type that contributes to cancer, diabetes, tooth decay, liver disease etc there would be very little that would be acceptable to eat. Vegetables would be about it... as long as those pesticides that cause cancer have been thoroughly washed off. Sorry, I can't go that far :) :)
appletree

Post by appletree »

I'm sorry, Rod Taylor, but posting a picture of a potential meal from Nando's is not evidence.

I cook from scratch most days. In my former home where there was a Nandi's around the corner, very occasionally we ate a half grilled chicken, corn in the cob, and coleslaw. It is not fattening, and certainly not more so than any other restaurant.

You have already made plain enough that your obje tio is nothing to do with health or obesity and everything to do with a desire to see Sydenham stay exactly as it is, no matter how crap. Preferring empty shops to a mud-level chain says it all.

I want to see the area thrive. I'm sure you would prefer that someone like me (professional who moved from north London) was not yere, but tough -- I am here. Nando's is far from my first choice as a restaurant but I object to people pretending they careabout health while using totally spurious arguments actually to complain about a changing demographic.
appletree

Post by appletree »

Sorry about typos.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

rod taylor wrote:It is utterly irresponsible to advocate a Nandos in Sydenham. We are in the midst of an obesity epidemic - The NHS spends £1 million an hour on combatting diabetes.

I'm sorry everyone, but I oppose this application completely.
if you want to oppose any applications for whatever reason I guess that's your right, but I'm sure you can see from your above post how people can make assumptions about your view...

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the facts on obesity levels, and it's obvious you feel very strongly about this. that's fine. but can this really be a basis to refuse a planning application?

and as for that picture you posted, looked delicious tbh.....
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh well Rod that's a shame as, even though I don't agree with everything, I certainly see your point on some of it and it has got me thinking. !
appletree

Post by appletree »

Sorry, arguments completely spurious if you don't object to all the fried chicken shops about which you make no complaint. Your points on the Caffè Nero thread indicate obesity is not your concern here.
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Likelife wrote: The investment is all to see in Bromley's Penge, yet we can't even get decent lamp post flags which don't fall off in a light breeze.
I really wouldn't give Bromley the credit for any work in Penge. The current High Street improvements are only happening because of an award from the GLA and general improvements from TfL. The Penge Traders also fund stuff like Christmas lights with funds raised from the local community. Penge is slowly improving in spite of Bromley, not because of it.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

That's not exactly true Bovine Juice.

Bromley won that funding. Locals cllrs and council officers worked really hard to get it. I've been involved in it over the years.
It's the same for most local authorities and large capital funding for the high street improvements.

Penge is slowly improving because of local representation (traders groups, the Penge Tourist Board etc) AND the council. It took local cllrs years to fight for it. The plans for the high street look good, are well designed and the Retail Revival run pop-up (Pengetout) is brilliant.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Cheap high fat foods and sugary drinks that are often cheaper than bottled water certain increase obesity.

Nando's is generally grilled chicken and it's not cheap. I don't see them along the same lines of most fast food joints like McDonalds or Morleys chicken etc.

Like others on this forum, I'm not a fan of large brands or Nandos, but in this instance I welcome it. I find the healthy eating angle as being against them coming to the high street rather moot. If you must argue for that, then also argue against most fast food outlets, cheap booze and lower end drinking establishments that sell almost out of date beer at cheap prices.

As for Nandos, You can see their menu and calories etc here: https://www.nandos.co.uk/food/menu
They do offer coke but also various juices, organic milk and tea.

This is another Nandos meal:

Many of their dishes have less calories than many sandwiches you can buy.

Healthy food is an issue and we should eat healthier. You could eat some healthy meals in Nandos, but also choose to eat some unhealthy meals there. You could argue the same for many places in Sydenham and elsewhere. I'm not sure stopping Nandos coming to Sydenham is going to help much, if any in that fight.

Perhaps we should be praising the exellent Calabash of Culture instead to promote healthy eating?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I wasn't including the local councillors in my dismissal, Lee. I also know there are (or were) a few decent council workers who try to help where they can but the leadership of Bromley council will never instinctively look out for Penge. Hardly surprising when it and CP are the London bits of the council and vote differently.

Anyway, thank God, we did get that sum from the GLA because we'd otherwise have scraps while Beckenham gorges... £4.4m currently being spent on its High Street in conjunction with TfL.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

There is truth in that, but the same can be said of many other areas. Lewisham are focusing on Catford and Deptford rather than Sydenham. It's common for a council to suppress a bid for high street funding for Sydenham so other areas get it. Sometimes it's political. Sometimes it's just part of their strategy.

Penge has creat local representation and there are really good officers in Bromley Council. It's unfair on them to say the funding they won has nothing to do with the council. It does. And they still have good officers, although I know a couple of who have gone who were really good.

I rather like much of Beckenham's new paving, mostly because a lot of it won't show up the dirt (unlike our poorly thought out paving that is filthy) but it's a huge sum of money and I'm sceptical of paving schemes and what difference it really makes in the long term. I think town centres need to think differently about these schemes and look at how people shop, what works and bring in fresh ideas. Why don't high streets have play areas for kids like malls and Ikea do? Why aren't they managed properly, grouping businesses together? Why are they properly policed for planning? Why do we put benches facing out into the traffic when it looks far better if they face one another like an outside room with planting around them? There are so many issues that aren't being addressed in many high streets.

What really matters in Penge isn't how much they spend, it's the fact that Penge (it's cllrs and various local groups) fought for the money and got it, and worked together with the council's officers to ensure the money is deployed effectively. Sydenham had million spent on paving, Penge is getting far less than that, but I expect it to make a far bigger difference in Penge that here. It ain't what you got, it's what you do with it.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Indeed both make good points there. Back when the high street paving was being re-done it seemed like there was momentum. The problem is, that as soon as that was completed, the council didn't really bother to do much else. New pavements, trees, benches and crossings weren't the only thing the high street needed. Other councils seem to understand this.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Plus the choice of paving wasn't very good, the choice of benches wasn't very good, there were very few trees.

Local trader representation would have made a massive difference.
syd

Post by syd »

ere is truth in that, but the same can be said of many other areas. Lewisham are focusing on Catford and Deptford rather than Sydenham. It's common for a council to suppress a bid for high street funding for Sydenham so other areas get it. Sometimes it's political. Sometimes it's just part of their strategy.
The reality is that Lewisham councillors need to keep new middle class arrivals happy as they piss on Sydenham residents and say it's raining.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm not sure from that who is doing the pissing!
stuart

Post by stuart »

EUSSR wrote:Please explain the difference between healthy and unhealthy and at what point one becomes the other?
Some diets appear to lengthen life, some shorten. Its your choice how to balance them out but you could start here: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/healthy-eati ... ating.aspx

Stuart
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

EUSSR wrote:"You could eat some healthy meals in Nandos, but also choose to eat some unhealthy meals there"

so much guff its pathetic....
I can't work out if this is a joke or real? Do you really not know what the difference is between healthy food and unhealthy food?

I
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Last edited by TredownMan on 27 Jul 2018 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
syd

Post by syd »

Hi Prince any news from Nando's?