STILL NO SYDENHAM CHRISTMAS TREE OR LIGHTS?!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Re: STILL NO SYDENHAM CHRISTMAS TREE OR LIGHTS?!

Post by Pat Trembath »

No mention has been made in this topic or anywhere else on this forum about the Christmas events held last Saturday in the centre of Sydenham nor of the crowds that they drew into Sydenham.

Spontaneous' production of 'the Snowman and the Fairy' - four free performances in The Sydenham Centre - delighted parents, grandparents and children throughout the afternoon. The performance I attended was packed out with standing room only. The previous Saturday there had been two similar performances in Sydenham Library.

Ignition Brewery was on hand with bottles of craft beer now being brewed in the Sydenham Centre. For half an hour St Philip Neri's fantastic Brass Band (wonderful music from children under 11 years old) accompanied the carol singing by the large crowds gathered outside The Sydenham Centre. Father Christmas with his bell and his faithful reindeer meanwhile did their 'usual thing', entertaining children up and down the high street.

At 5 o'clock, after the countdown, the lights on the Christmas tree were switched on by the Snowman, the Fairy, Father Christmas and the reindeer to cheers from a very large gathering of local residents.

I think a big 'thank you' is due to Cllr Chris Best and to Jonathan Kaufmann, and to many others involved in organising last Saturday's events.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Pat Trembath wrote:...[clip]...

I think a big 'thank you' is due to Cllr Chris Best and to Jonathan Kaufmann, and to many others involved in organising last Saturday's events.
The behind-the-scenes efforts should certainly be recognised. Also, appreciation of the donation of the Christmas tree.
:)
Pally

Post by Pally »

I was sorry to have to miss the events this year so couldn't comment! I have made a point of commenting positively in previous years on the Christmas "Event Saturday" This year, having the Xmas show must have been lovely and having heard the brass band else where that must have been fantastic!

Re the Xmas Lights, I also think they look a bit better being mainly white lights! It would be nice to have a few more lights on the tree but even so, its quite pretty. I have to agree that it is unreasonable to expect the council to pay more,too many other more important things to spend the money on! Without an active Sydenham Traders Association, I'm not sure that the lights will change any time soon really. But lets enjoy what we've got!
Last edited by Pally on 15 Dec 2017 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Most of us don't hear about these events until it's too late. Is there a Sydenham events page on this forum or elsewhere where they are listed in advance of them happening so that we can plan ahead and attend them?

Admin, maybe a page should be added to the Board Index titles 'Town Events'? Just an idea. :)
Pally

Post by Pally »

The SEE 3 booklet of all Sydenham events in December is superb! This year it wasn't posted through letterboxes, probably because that entails one heck of a lot of time and effort from volunteers whose time is probably better spent doing the organising of some of those events. The booklet has been widely distributed in cafes, shops etc in Sydenham and is online. ...on this site it probably comes down to one of us posting the link up for everyone!
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The Sydenham Society's regular weekly (well at least every 10 days) enews carries notification of forth-coming events. It's freely available to members (and to non-members) who choose to sign up to receive.

With regard to the SEE3 booklet - this was delivered, at least to my house, along with the Sydenham Assembly newsletter, which also carried details of the Assembly and Christmas events happening at Sydenham Community Library on Saturday 2 December, as well as details of the events happening in the centre of Sydenham on 9 December.

As Pally says, the SEE3 booklet was also put into cafes and shops throughout SE26 as well as SE23.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Just to add the print run for the SEE3 Christmas Calendar is 16,000 and delivered door to door in Sydenham and Forest Hill wards along with the Assembly Newsletters.

Below is a link to the Sydenham Assembly Newsletter highlighting the Christmas events -
https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/ne ... 7FINAL.PDF

At the Sydenham Assembly we had copies of the SEE3 Christmas Calendar and invited local residents to join in the range of community events - the funding from the Assembly helped support the six free Christmas shows as well as other high street events. If anyone wants to join in organising activities in 2018 please let me know.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Oh, that is really good news that it is still delivered. I assumed it wasn't as we didn't get one for some reason. But there were loads around the town so would be difficult to miss them; I picked one up in On the Hoof.
Good point re the Sydenham Society News Pat - I receive that and find it useful for checking up on any events coming up throughout the year.
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I reckon the Christmas tree looks ridiculous - the plastic railing things around it looks like the gas board are about to dig the place up.
Surely those blue barriers could be better...
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

I also think the barriers around the christmas tree are ridiculous. It looks like its been arrested.
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

These evening the blue barriers were all flat on the ground and one was half in the road.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Very strange ..what on earth are they there for?
simon

Post by simon »

Yes, the tree and the blue plastic barriers looked truly pathetic today. An embarrassment to the community.
Pally

Post by Pally »

simon wrote:Yes, the tree and the blue plastic barriers looked truly pathetic today. An embarrassment to the community.
The tree is pretty enough,and I believe kindly donated by Angie the florist?? The lights are pretty, even more would be great but they ARE pretty!

Its the blue barriers that are weird, pointless and daft. Lying on the pavement as they frequently have, they are a hazard!!!!!