Syd Society help request for pavement opposite library?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Syd Society help request for pavement opposite library?

Post by Pally »

Larky wrote:Sydenham Society have just be ignoring my request for help on this thread after appearing to be interested.
I emailed the police who advised that Trading Standards are aware and have been to visit.
I have emailed Trading Standards twice but not reply from them either !
Larky, it appears from the comments made at the Sydenham Society AGM (reported by Robin Orton on the thread entitled Sydenham Society) that the Sydenham Society are not really engaging in communication on this Forum. Maybe contact a Sydenham Society "officer" directly?

It certainly is a mess around there! I am wondering if everyone reporting it to Lewisham on the Keep Britain Tidy Love our Streets website might get a reaction from Lewisham...??
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thanks for the input and solidarity on this. I'm going to have a think about what can be done and post again when I have - possibly with the email mentioned, thanks.

If nothing else, I'm glad to have raised awareness of this issue - your responses are much appreciated.
JRW

Post by JRW »

As I did yesterday, I am going to tweet a photo regularly to give the issue publicity, so the various organisations get regular reminders. As a bonus, the tyre company look distinctly worried by photography, so it acts as a reminder to them too. Feel free to join in, and see who can photograph the most outrageous misuse of public space.
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Be careful with the people who work in the tyre shop, they have been verbally abusive to me when complaining to them about work they carried out which made my car fail it’s MOT.
JRW

Post by JRW »

I was standing on the library side, so no hassle. Having said that, I have previously photographed it from nearby, and the guys were 'hurt' but not hostile about it. I actually quite like them personally, they are simply working on the wrong site.
BTW, has anyone checked out the state of their roof, as it has big holes. Is the antisocial business a tactic to wear down the neighbours so they approve the site being redeveloped?
JRW

Post by JRW »

One interesting thing the guys said was that there were 'only a few people' who object to their use of the pavement. Perhaps it would be good if objectors put complaints in personally, as well as coordinating a complaint. That might emphasise how widespread the concern actually is.
Larky

Post by Larky »

I have had many conversions with them, some are nice conversions, some are awful. They are nice lads.
They have plenty of trade so its a gold mine I imagine, but just not the right location for this type of business.
They do not keep the site clean and tidy and constantly block the entrance/exit to the road and use the yellow lines to change tyres and park the van.

How do they get away with it.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

It seems to me there are two separate issues here, the tyre shop and in the parking on the main High Street.

The main High Street parking seems to be damaging the once new paving all the time, is there anything we can do about this at it seems the illegal parking not being enforced. Who deals with the parking is it council or the police?
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

both issues will be for the council to deal with.
I would imagine that there's a generic email address, something like ParkingComplainst@, or Parking@ Lewisham. There will also be one along the lines of Enforcement@ or EnvironmentalEnforcement@ but there's probably also a generic complaints page on the Lewisham website - that'll get directed to the correct department.
reporting parking problems
Larky

Post by Larky »

Awful car crash here last night. Police and Fire engines.

Cars looked awful, hope people involved where ok.
JRW

Post by JRW »

People all ok, lucky no pedestrians were there, or they would have had no chance. High impact crash caused by speeding - I was in the library, and the impact made an incredibly loud bang.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Any progress on this issue? Been going on for a long time and nothing seems to of happened.
Emc

Post by Emc »

Has anyone else living on Larkbere Road noticed tons of litter floating about? I live at the top end near Champion Crescent but every time I leave home, I notice stray crisp packets, chocolate wrappers right outside the door, chewing gum stuck to my wheely bin etc.

I'm wondering if people have spillage when putting rubbish in the wheely bins or if this is just from people walking down the road... or perhaps something related to the tyre shop from staff or waiting customers parked on the road chucking rubbish out?

I can happily ignore it but just curious really about where it all comes from. There's so much of it and every time I pick it up and put it in the bin but the next day there's more!
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Hi Emc,

Yes, we do get more than our fair share here, and inevitably a good chunk comes from the garage end. There's always a steady stream of wet wipes blowing down the road, and customers from there, and from the junk food shops regularly eat takeaway food in their cars while waiting, tossing the boxes of chicken bones out the window afterwards. I've met with a frosty response on the occasions I've questioned it... just as I did on Friday when, not for the first time, I arrived home to find a gentleman emptying his bladder all over the end of the street! "What's your ******** problem?" he growled, as his steaming stream puddled beneath him.

To be honest, I've drawn a blank on all fronts here - no one seems to listen and the bad behaviour continues. And on a separate tack, much like the thread on Payless, I'm mystified by the amount of weed smoked openly between our road and Sainsbury, with no fear of recrimination. There's no consequence for any of this, seemingly. Perhaps one day the garage may sell up, but in the meantime it's clear they can act however they please. The pic I posted on this thread of them using our street sign to wedge their empty Lucozade bottles in says it all.

To clutch at positives, we always pick up litter from the pavement outside our house and dispose of it, as do the neighbours. Larkbere's a good street, with thoroughly lovely people - all that can currently be done is to accept the rubbish, literally and figuratively, take the Womble option and do what you can. And hope things might get better!

Happy New Year!
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Shame about all the arseholes, but great attitude, Syd.
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

Emc wrote: 30 Dec 2018 15:00 Has anyone else living on Larkbere Road noticed tons of litter floating about? I live at the top end near Champion Crescent but every time I leave home, I notice stray crisp packets, chocolate wrappers right outside the door, chewing gum stuck to my wheely bin etc.

I'm wondering if people have spillage when putting rubbish in the wheely bins or if this is just from people walking down the road... or perhaps something related to the tyre shop from staff or waiting customers parked on the road chucking rubbish out?

I can happily ignore it but just curious really about where it all comes from. There's so much of it and every time I pick it up and put it in the bin but the next day there's more!
As a fellow Larkbere Roader (up towards your end too), I'd noticed that it's getting messy. Walking down this morning to the main road, I thought it could've done with a clean up. I think some of it may come from the rubbish collection, if it doesn't go in the lorry, it tends to get left. Somebody could probably correct me here, but I believe that binmen are told not to pick up rubbish from the floors due to health and safety and the risk of back injury bending down... The tyre shop really could do with tidying up its act. I have seen plenty of rubbish left around that end of the road when getting back from work!