Queensthorpe Road Smart Bench

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Queensthorpe Road Smart Bench

Post by Tim Lund »

Noticed this yesterday

Seems it's part of a network across London

http://smartbench.london/

Free WiFi, free phone charging, and a place to sit - seems like a good deal to me

The Ford logo gets me thinking about corporate ownership of public space, but I'm not sure this is any worse than Tescos behind having their branding rather more prominently above their shop front.

I'm also curious about how Ford Motor Company expects to accompany us as London citizens into our journey into the future:
Ford wants to help you move more easily today, and in the “City of Tomorrow”. This bench and 19 others in London will give you free wifi to empower physical and social mobility and connect people in new ways. Together with Ford Motor Company Fund, the philanthropic arm of Ford, we look for transformational ideas for your journey into the future.
Will it involve driving solar powered cars, or being driven by them?
JRW

Re: Queensthorpe Road Smart Bench

Post by JRW »

The concept is great, but the design looks horrible, and will date quickly, because of the weird advertising bit attached. I think it looks bad with the old buildings, and spoils the pocket square.

BTW, whatever your view on the benches, which have appeared all over Lewisham, they are currently up for retrospective planning permission. Each bench is a separate case, so you can object to a specific bench you think is inappropriate, or support one, as you wish.

The notices expired yesterday, but if you have strong views, then access the planning website to give your opinion. Do it now, or it will be too late!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

JRW

Post by JRW »

If only! That design is lovely, whereas our offering is - insert your own opinion. I am the only person to comment on the bench, so whatever your view, let them know now.
prince

Post by prince »

While I support the principle of a smart bench, the design is rather quite ugly and the advertising on it is obtrusive for a Conservation Area.

I also think that it is quite wrong for a Lewisham Council sponsored initiative to put in a retrospective planning application. Surely the Council should be leading by example.

To object, the application ref is DC/18/105750
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

As I said, I think the advertising / branding is modest by comparison with Tescos and other Sydenham Road shops, so I just tried to submit a supportive comment, but annoyingly, the drop down box where you select what your status is offers only
  • Applicant
  • Complainant
  • Developer
I'm a supporter!
prince

Post by prince »

Tim Lund wrote:As I said, I think the advertising / branding is modest by comparison with Tescos and other Sydenham Road shops, so I just tried to submit a supportive comment, but annoyingly, the drop down box where you select what your status is offers only
  • Applicant
  • Complainant
  • Developer
I'm a supporter!
Tim, each to their own.

In relation to the design, I don’t know whether you have noticed but the seat appears very low to the ground meaning the street sweepers aren’t or can’t clean below it. Already there is an inch of grime under it which isn’t very pleasant.

Great idea poor execution.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Tim,
How interesting to get a post from you which is in favour of business, advertising, and the free market.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

leenewham wrote:I thought this was a smart bench: https://www.highsnobiety.com/2012/01/17 ... -campaign/
It took two looks before I realised this was a bottomless and therefore seatless bench.

A wicked infliction of a bad sense of humour on some hapless local residents somewhere - the locality was not stated.

I then checked the publication date to see if it was 1st April - but no - it was published in January 2012 and probably just a publicity campaign.

Made me laugh.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Hilarious! I completely missed the joke, Lee., I was so fuming about our model....
Pally

Post by Pally »

I think the smart bench is a good idea, a good useful addition to the High St and the design ....could be a lot worse frankly and not dreadful ....and its a seat to sit on in this hot weather!!
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

On 11 Sept, there's to be a retrospective planning hearing into this bench. There's a range of objections to the design/advertising

Paperwork here: http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... Report.pdf
alywin

Post by alywin »

When did they put in the one down at Bell Green?
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

>When did they put in the one down at Bell Green?
It's been there ages, probably as long as the Queensthorpe one. Only ever seen it used once.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

It would seem the decision has been made and the benches stay.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16859 ... /?ref=ebln

Nice pic of the one at Bell Green and the flats opposite.

Annabelle from SydSoc says that “The smart bench does not enhance the street-scape and does not make a positive contribution to conservation. It is a congruous element, adding to a high level of distracting street clutter,”

Has she been misquoted and did she mean incongruous ?
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

There’s an English language PhD to be done on the strange, grandiose language of planning objections. It’s a vocabulary you never hear anywhere else. A mixture of cod-architectural criticism and complaints about parking provision.
mosy

Post by mosy »

I read "congruous" as being "along with" unwanted street clutter. Although a contorted way of saying that, unless it was just an error of course.

Why on earth the benches are designed to be so uncomfortable and without a back is beyond me, especially since the Sydenham one replaced a public bench that was far more suitable for people who are likely to need to sit down.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I like the benches and have used the charger at the one in Bell Green.

Quite frankly, the bus stop a few metres away is the biggest piece of clutter in the area, slapped down in the middle of the pavement, barely passable with a pushchair even when people aren't sitting on the wall.

Another sterling piece of planning from TFL and the council. Have reported it on FixMyStreet with no effect.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Yes, and you should try getting a wheelchair past it ...
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I did mention this in the report, seen here: http://lovelewisham.com/Home/Details/8d ... 7ad1c63da4