Feeling emotional…

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Feeling emotional…

Post by leenewham »

I was in two minds about writing this. But I got an email a little while ago from AliB who I remember did something similar.

After 10 years of living (and working) in Sydenham we have now left and I feel a little emotional. We have a lot of memories here. On our first night after moving into Fairlawn Park we walked up the high street and had a meal at That's Amore which is now the sushi place. We started our business here, made snow angels in Home Park, our son took his first steps in our living room (and saw snow for the first time in Home park where we made snow angels). We saw some amazing plays by Johnathan and other events at the Sydenham Arts. Our son first rode his bike in Mayow Park and we got involved locally in various schemes. We were even on the front page of the South London press about The Greyhound once and our What if Sydenham project led us to working all over London on high street regeneration schemes (and getting into the Guardian). I hope we have left a little mark on SE26 in our time here, mostly for the good.

Farewell Sydenham. Good luck. Thank you.
Robin Orton

Re: Feeling emotional…

Post by Robin Orton »

Sorry you're going, Lee. Although I don't think we've ever met, I've always admired you from afar. All the best for your new life. Robin
stuart

Post by stuart »

You hve left Fairlawn. Doesn't mean you have to leave Fairum(!) We need your informed humane approach here even more than ever ...

Best wishes in enriching your new neighbourhood too.

Stuart
simon

Post by simon »

Good by Lee and Mariana. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that Sydenham will miss you. Good luck.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

mosy

Post by mosy »

leenewham, every best wish to you and yours that you enjoy the future in your new location and don't find too much irritation that it would be better if... ;)

I hope you'll keep your Sydenham time fondly in your thoughts, not just as somewhere you lived once. Echoing Stuart, STF is only a second away on a keyboard and your two-penn'orth is always welcome :)

Best regards.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And it's a :( goodbye from me too!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with previous posters, Stuart and Mosy. Hope we'll hear from you again someday.
You will be missed on the STF. Thanks!

admin
parker

Post by parker »

Don’t goooooooo!
Jollylolly

Post by Jollylolly »

Thanks for your nice messages about local stuff (Fairlawn in particular) when I first moved here. Good luck with everything.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Good luck Lee, always enjoyed your contributions.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Farewell, where are you off to?

Also, just because you leave Sydenham it doesn’t mean you can’t frequent this place. I left 7 1/2 years ago but never really left here. (I do still have cause to frequent Sydenham every couple of weeks, however)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
Good luck and thanks for the greyhound tile mural - at times I think those 5 millimetres of ceramic tile is all that kept the building standing !
Nigel
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Best of luck fella. You were always an interesting and insightful poster and very supportive of my town, Penge.
Pally

Post by Pally »

Lee enjoy your new location. You have contributed to Sydenham greatly, even if not as much as you have both wished and offered. Let us know how you get on
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks for the kind messages. I'm not going far and my son still goes to school nearby so we pass through. We may even have one final project in Sydenham. We are waiting for the house we are buying to go through probate so we are in a state of limbo at present. It's all been extremely stressful. To be frank, it's been one thing after another this year.

We are looking forward to the fresh start.

I pop into the forum from time to time, especially to update the things to do nearby on the parents section. One of our favourite things about Sydenham was what there was nearby. There are so many places every weekend within 30 minutes to an hour and a half for a fantastic family day out. We packed so much into every weekend, even just camping overnight for a cheap break.

Oh, and the best Pizzas in town as still at Raffs, the best breakfasts at Brown and Green, the best Eggs Benedict at on The Hoof, the best pub garden is the Dolphin, the best hot chocolate at Sugahill and the best local theatre productions are Spontaneous!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

leenewham wrote:One of our favourite things about Sydenham was what there was nearby.
OK - your professional advice sought here - in future efforts to market Sydenham, which should it be?
  • Dulwich borders
  • South Forest Hill
  • North Penge
  • West Bellingham
  • Lower Crystal Palace
prince

Post by prince »

Tim Lund wrote:
leenewham wrote:One of our favourite things about Sydenham was what there was nearby.
OK - your professional advice sought here - in future efforts to market Sydenham, which should it be?
  • Dulwich borders
  • South Forest Hill
  • North Penge
  • West Bellingham
  • Lower Crystal Palace
None of the above it should just be marketed as Sydenham. All of the above are estate agent waffle.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Tim Lund wrote:
  • Dulwich borders
  • South Forest Hill
  • North Penge
  • West Bellingham
  • Lower Crystal Palace
I presume you jest Tim. I always joked about being in Upper Beckenham, but Sydenham is Sydenham. But Prince is right, it's estate agent nonsense (and it gives them a bad name, and they aren't exactly in my good books right now).

I had ideas as you know, but trying to get some support on anything locally was surprisingly difficult. One of the first things I raised when I moved here was about giving Sydenham an identity and the whole 'green dragon' idea. There was little, if no support from the SS or local cllrs so it never happened, despite giving presentations to cllrs, getting involved in the Portas pilot etc. I did design something which I was going to put on the flagpole above the flat on Cobbs Corner, but the guy in the flat sadly died before I could do it.

But marketing Sydenham is something that should be done and it's a collective effort and is another reason why I think Sydenham needs a strong traders association. It should not be run by Cllrs. They should support it.

Grrr, see what you have done Tim, you have pulled me back in with my pet topic! Hehehe. This is where it all started!
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Lee, I jest indeed.

I saw a lonely green dragon recently in Home Park, and thought of you