Advice needed about groups and nice things to do in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Emc

Advice needed about groups and nice things to do in Sydenham

Post by Emc »

Hi all,

I'm back in Sydenham after a year and a half away and could do with some advice on a few things:

1) Does the Sydenham Centre have a website? I've been trying to find out info about the classes held there but haven't found any details online. I went in person yesterday and rang the doorbell for a while with no response. Generally, what is he centre used for? I'd love to generally know a bit more about it and what they do, what's on there etc?

2) Sydenham Arts: Does anyone know if the festival still takes place or is it now more general events throughout the year?

3) Does anyone know if the badminton group that plays at the Bridge Leisure Centre still exists? (The membership one that was part of Badminton England). I called and the receptionist said they didn't know... Are there any other groups in Sydenham and how do I find out about them? :)

4) Tennis in Mayow Park: Are there any groups that meet up to play if you don't have a tennis partner locally?

5) I read on this forum a while back that a new yoga centre was opening up on Sydenham High Street. Does anyone know if it ever happened?

6) Any other nice things to do locally generally? (I know there used to be a book club in the Dolphin that I never quite made it along to before)...

Sorry for the many questions! I'm excited to be back in Sydenham (although sad about Beer Revolution) and eager to find my feet and join a group or two... :)
JRobinson

Re: Advice needed about groups and nice things to do in Syde

Post by JRobinson »

There's a badminton club in the octagonal community hall on Champion Road on Thursday nights (details on a banner on the side of the hall, but probably could just turn up - I think it's 8-10pm), and there's one at the sports centre behind Forest Hill Boys School on Tuesday nights.

Tennis in Mayow Park is now managed with an online booking through Lewisham/Glandale, and it's £5 a time, or an annual fee of £35 for unlimited use - each time you book, you get sent a code for the gate.
https://clubspark.lta.org.uk/MayowPark

The book club that I'm in used to meet sometimes in The Dolphin, but we now meet in The Golden Lion, every last Wednesday of the month, from 7.30pm. There's an email distribution for which book to read. pm me for more details.

Beer Rebellion is now The Poodle Comedy Club, which by most accounts is very good.

The Greyhound has reopened and is very good.
Nando's will open in a few months time.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

They were measuring the windows at the old betting shop (where the yoga studio was meant to be going) this morning. I can only assume that means something is happening with the shop
SydArts

Post by SydArts »

Hello yes our festival runs from 27 June - 8 July full details http://www.sydenhamarts.co.uk/whats-onwe also do events throughout the year. We are residents in the Sydenham Centre along with Ignition Brewery and Plus Services. Lewisham own the building and there are a number of yoga/pilates classes, salsa on Tuesday nights and other users. No website currently.
Pally

Post by Pally »

There are regular Pilates classes at the Centre ...run by Adam Murby. He has a website.
Spontaneous

Post by Spontaneous »

Sadly Lewisham Council have not yet got round to creating a dedicated website for Sydenham Centre (they are supposedly working on this but it will take time no doubt!), but as mentioned above individual users of the building have their own websites.

You may be interested to know that Sydenham-based theatre company Spontaneous Productions - we used to stage regular open-air theatre in the Dolphin pub's garden for instance - now stages regular live theatre events and other arts activities in the Centre.

Our website link gives you all the details here
http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/

We run regular children's theatre shows at weekends, theatre for grown-ups during the evening and regular creative writing classes on a Tues and Wed eve plus children's writing classes on a Saturday morning. From September we hope to be running more classes and workshops in acting, music, singing and dance. If you like to subscribe to our fortnightly e-newsletter, you can do so here
http://spontaneousproductions.co.uk/subscribe/

Hope to see you at a show!

Jonathan Kaufman, Spontaneous Productions
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Welcome back!

The Poodle Club is a brilliant venue and we've had several fantastic nights out there. The Jack Studio Theatre in Brockley is a sensational place - their last in-house production, Kes, was just breathtaking, and we're heading there tonight for a piece about Quentin Crisp. There's a cinema coming to Crystal Palace soon, and if you want a stunning restaurant meal at a really great price, then in addition to Trattoria Raffaele in the high street, can I urge you to check out Creperies Ches Yves in Penge... utterly delicious food and a lovely little place.
Emc

Post by Emc »

Thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it! Lots to mull over here! :)
nicknack

Post by nicknack »

Also Syd Artists Trail starts next weekend http://sydenhamarts.co.uk/artist-map & there is already a taster exhibition in The Dolphin pub