Water Pressure

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

Water Pressure

Post by maestro »

Has anyone else noticed a huge drop in their water pressure over recent months? I reckon, at best, it spurts out of the (mains fed) kitchen tap at a little less than half the rate of knots it used to. But at certain times of the day it drops much further. This creates a situation that my combi boiler cannot fire to heat any water, as this type of boiler works straight off the mains supply, without a water tank, and there is often insufficient water pressure. If I'm trying to have a shower, with the hot tap full on, a thin dribble of cold water is quite often as much as I'm able to achieve these days. I used to enjoy copious amounts.

This may have been done by Thames Water to conserve supplies and cut waste, I have no problem with that in principle. But it does frequently cause a lot of inconvenience, and I wonder if anyone else in this area is having the same experience.
mosy

water pressure

Post by mosy »

Have a look at this thread (country-wide comments).
Edit: Just taken that thread down as the essential elements are that there is a statutory requirement to provide a certain flow rate (min bar measurement) and that combi boilers do rely on that. The rest, on re-reading was probably irrelevant really, except perhaps for considering having a pump installed for the shower, though that might not help a combi boiler which relies on mains pressure, I think. I'm going back to sleep now ;)
maestro

Re: water pressure

Post by maestro »

mosy wrote:Have a look at this thread (country-wide comments).
Edit: Just taken that thread down as the essential elements are that there is a statutory requirement to provide a certain flow rate (min bar measurement) and that combi boilers do rely on that. The rest, on re-reading was probably irrelevant really, except perhaps for considering having a pump installed for the shower, though that might not help a combi boiler which relies on mains pressure, I think. I'm going back to sleep now ;)
Thanks for that Mosy, I had clicked on the link and studied it before you deleted it, actually it all seemed quite relevant. Other people in other parts of the country have obviously had exactly the same problems. I'm surprised someone else hasn't posted to report a similar experience here, I can't be the only one in this area, surely? I've noticed this happening over the last 18 months or so, but it's been particularly bad this last few weeks.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I can't say we've had a drop in pressure. What part of Sydenham are you in?
maestro

Post by maestro »

bensonby wrote:I can't say we've had a drop in pressure. What part of Sydenham are you in?
Hi Bensonby, Southend Lane/Bell Green area, near the Savacentre (UK's second most struck bridge would be a clue, if anybody knew that fact). It's coincided with a big block of flats being built next to the Gulf garage nearby, I wondered if that might be the cause, in putting extra demand on the supply.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

maestro wrote:
bensonby wrote:I can't say we've had a drop in pressure. What part of Sydenham are you in?
Hi Bensonby, Southend Lane/Bell Green area, near the Savacentre (UK's second most struck bridge would be a clue, if anybody knew that fact). It's coincided with a big block of flats being built next to the Gulf garage nearby, I wondered if that might be the cause, in putting extra demand on the supply.
of course, I didn't notice that under your name :roll: - I'm not too far away - so it might be a very localised problem. Have you spoken to your neighbours? If they are not suffering it then you may have a problem with the pipes on your property?
maestro

Post by maestro »

bensonby wrote:
maestro wrote:
of course, I didn't notice that under your name :roll: - I'm not too far away - so it might be a very localised problem. Have you spoken to your neighbours? If they are not suffering it then you may have a problem with the pipes on your property?
I'm quite sure I'll have no problem with the pipes, I had a heating engineer service the system a few months ago and I mentioned the pressure problem, he came from Bexley area and didn't have specific knowledge about Sydenham. He did say that there are areas where pressure is now much lower, but at that time I wasn't having this 'not firing at all' problem. I have spoken to some neighbours about it, they've noticed a bit of a drop but don't have a combi type of system and therefore not having as much inconvenience. I thought I was doing the right thing in putting this system in a few years back, now I'm beginning to wish I had just kept my water tank.
bladerunner

Post by bladerunner »

Tell us what floor the kitchen cold tap is ie ground/1st/2nd etc

Tell us the make and model of the boiler.

Ensure the incoming stopcock is fully open and any isolating valve on the kitchen cold tap is fully open.

Open the cold kitchen tap fully and measure the water flow rate. Best done by timing into a bucket (most are marked at 10 litres).

At ground floor most water authorities have a minimum rate of 8 or 9 litres per min. This is hopeless if you try and run more than one tap but that's the "benefit" of privatisation for you. To cut leakage rates the street pressure is often set at the minimum legal level until the pipework is replaced. Without a test gauge you will be unable to measure the working pressure so start with the flowrate calculation.

If the cold water flowrate is acceptable it is likely the flow restrictors/strainers inside the boiler are blocked (normally a straightforward job to resolve). The contractors replacing the mains are quite apt to allow debris into the new pipework causing partial blockages of stopcocks/strainers etc...this may have occured with the recent new connections onto the main.

Some areas of Sydenham are now having problems..especially where the main is shared between properties and boilers are located several floors up. Some boilers can be modified a little otherwise expensive breaktanks and pumps are the only solution. I am not aware of lower Sydenham having particularly low pressure.

Unfortunately with everyone trying to gain space by installing a combi the water mains network can struggle (especially at peak times). The gas network is also being overloaded and there is no requirement for the utility companies to upgrade. It is down to the boiler installer to check beforehand (and most don't since they like to install combi's as they require less technical knowledge to fit).
maestro

Post by maestro »

Thanks for that very detailed post, bladerunner. The boiler was given a major overhaul with several valves being replaced (it had been leaking a bit of water on occasions). I had already checked the mains valve under the sink and it's fully turned on. The pressure is very variable and is always low in the mornings when everyone in the area must be running baths or having showers. I can tell as soon as I turn on the kitchen tap in order to fill my kettle. I'll try the test with a bucket and I think it will confirm it is too low, and if so I'll drop Thames Water a line about it.

One thing I would recommend anybody doing, if they are giving their kitchen a revamp and have the space, is to fit a water softener. I have the version with a small tank next to the sink unit. It means putting a 25 kilo sack of salt in every six weeks or so, but it's well worth it as it transforms the quality of the hard water for bathing, showering or using the washing machine. This saves a fortune in soap, shower gel, shampoo, washing powders and washing-up liquids. Also the bath and sinks are much easier to keep clean. Doesn't affect the kitchen cold tap for drinking/cooking, that one always remains untreated.

Thanks again for your very informative post.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

soft water is kinder on your pipes and appliances, you also need less soap when having a shower.

But it tastes horrible.... :?
maestro

Post by maestro »

bensonby wrote:soft water is kinder on your pipes and appliances, you also need less soap when having a shower.

But it tastes horrible.... :?

Hi Bensonby, that's right it does, but you are not meant to drink it at all, you must always use the mains tap in the kitchen for drinking and water for cooking.

Another tip a friend gave me long ago, was never have a bar of soap in the house, and only ever use liquid soap. It stops all the mess and scum in the bath and sinks, which I never realised comes from the soap bars. I've done this for years now, and any friends I've recommended this to are always amazed at the results.