The Golden Lion

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JMLF

The Golden Lion

Post by JMLF »

Just wanted to give a little shout out the the golden lion - we went in for a cuppa last weekend and had a delicious coffee. The effort they have put in to the outside and inside “coffee and tea room” bit is nice to see (flowers, bright colours etc) and the fact they continually put on live music, events like a st Christopher’s pub quiz etc means it offers something different to the greyhound and the dolphin.

The new (?) menu also looks half decent too.

Just thought would mention it as imagine it’s suffering a bit at the mo perhaps.
stuart

Re: The Golden Lion

Post by stuart »

Just to add our Book Club is meeting there this Wednesday 7:30pm to discuss 26a by Diana Evans. Even if you haven't read the book if you are interested do join us and listen in. You will be very welcome. Or spy from a distance ...
https://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ok#p174273

Stuart
mikej

Post by mikej »

Stuart, check your emails! There is a quiz in the G Lion this Wednesday, so we're meeting in the Dolphin instead.

Mike
stuart

Post by stuart »

Mike,

Found it. That email became a victim of GMail's new more aggressive spam [mis-] detection system. I may not be the only one not to know ...

So GL visitors - if you see any bewildered folks holding a book - redirect them please!

Stuart
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Not impressed with the food the fish and chips was clearly Battered Frozen Fillets and then next day saw the manager buying his food frozen from Lidl. Nothing against Lidl but I'd expect better from a Pub Restaurant.
Ewa

Post by Ewa »

Hi, Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with you meal at The Golden Lion. We do not however use any form of frozen fish or meat from any supermarket. We currently get our meat from smithfeilds and our fish is from billingsgate market.
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

syenhamboy wrote: next day saw the manager buying his food frozen from Lidl. Nothing against Lidl but I'd expect better from a Pub Restaurant.
Perhaps it was for personal use? Even pub managers need to eat...
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Parker1970 wrote:
syenhamboy wrote: next day saw the manager buying his food frozen from Lidl. Nothing against Lidl but I'd expect better from a Pub Restaurant.
This was wholesale purchasing
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

syenhamboy wrote:
Parker1970 wrote:
Lidl don't do wholesale, they are a retailer.

Do you mean he was buying a lot of frozen food? So does my ex-partner, he has a huge freezer he stocks up from discount stores.

In short, you are making assumptions... that may be founded, and may be not.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

Parker1970 wrote: next day saw the manager buying his food frozen from Lidl. Nothing against Lidl but I'd expect better from a Pub Restaurant.

Lidl don't do wholesale, they are a retailer.

Do you mean he was buying a lot of frozen food? So does my ex-partner, he has a huge freezer he stocks up from discount stores.

In short, you are making assumptions... that may be founded, and may be not.
I know what I saw, and it put me off dining here.
I don't go to a restaurant or pub to eat-out to eat Lidl frozen Fish and Chips, I can do that at home.

I'm fully aware Lidl aren't a wholesaler but are you seriously telling me that you've never seen bulk buying from traders? You see it all the time.

I once went to and Italian restaurant in Bromley and I asked the waiter about a particular ingredient in his ravioli and the waiter came back with the packet Tesco own brand pasta with a discounted sticker on it £3. It was on the menu for £11.99. Nothing illegal in this of course but if you find out the source of your food it can and does put some people off.
sydnami

Post by sydnami »

Some pretty crass levels of conjecture on this thread. Local business deserves better than local keyboard warrior putting two and two together and coming up with a potential five...
Newtosydenham

Post by Newtosydenham »

I love the Golden Lion. They have a great Gin selection and the staff are all very friendly and welcoming.
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

sydnami wrote:Some pretty crass levels of conjecture on this thread. Local business deserves better than local keyboard warrior putting two and two together and coming up with a potential five...
I'm not sorry if I gave my honest opinion the food was not Home Made Fish and Chips and was Obviously Frozen Fish in Batter. By pure fluke I saw the manager/owner in Lidl's the next day Stocking Up.

I'm sorry if an honest opinion infuriates.

Want me to lie and say it was beautiful home made beer battered fish caught that morning from a boat off the Cornish coast.
mosy

Post by mosy »

syenhamboy - first time (in how long?) I've noticed your name has no "d" so please forgive any prior misspellings.

I've no doubt you were disappointed with your fish and chips since done really well they are a treat - or not. It's speculation though that the manager was buying from Lidl for the pub as it could have been for personal use or another food outlet plus Ewa subsequently assured us that fish served in the Golden Lion is from Billingsgate (presumably fresh and not then frozen by the pub). So it seems the issue has been noted by them, assuming Ewa is a representative for the pub and if so thanks Ewa for keeping in touch on here.

I would say that not everyone can make good fish and chips including some chippies, surprisingly given it's their stock in trade. Hopefully if the pub's cook's batter recipe needs adjusting, or oil temp, or needs better cuts from the fish, it'll soon be sorted.
AD

Post by AD »

Pub is friendly enough but food is rubbish. Had a Vegetarian Sunday lunch there a few weeks ago and inedible really. Won’t eat there again. Shame as the pub itself is decent
syenhamboy

Post by syenhamboy »

sydnami wrote:Some pretty crass levels of conjecture on this thread. Local business deserves better than local keyboard warrior putting two and two together and coming up with a potential five...
Keyboard warrior? Power to the people that can hold businesses accountable for poor service or food. You carry on wearing your rose tinted glasses and live happily ever after.
parker

Post by parker »

syenhamboy wrote:
Keyboard warrior? Power to the people that can hold businesses accountable for poor service or food. You carry on wearing your rose tinted glasses and live happily ever after.
I agree, if the food is coming from Lidl you shouldn’t be charging over £10 for a meal. Charge Wetherspoon prices and people may keep their discoveries to themselves.
Ewa

Post by Ewa »

Just a reminder. Live Jazz this Wednesday at The Golden Lion 8.30 pm.
The Gig Jazz.
Free Entry . To reserve a table call us on 0208 7786859
Ewa

Post by Ewa »

Any local bands/musicians who would like to gig at the Golden Lion please call 0208 7788969 for more information and available dates.
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Just noticed on “social media” (god I hate that phrase!) that the Golden Lion are now under new management and also have a new Head Chef starting this week.

Just thought I’d flag it up here as I know some people haven’t been impressed by previous visits re: food. Never been myself other than for a drink / coffee so can’t comment on that but felt bit of news that would be helpful to get out there!