STF users meeting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

STF users meeting

Post by JRW »

Admin has still not suggested a date for a meeting at the Golden Lion, to discuss site rules. Personally, I would like it to happen in the next week, as feelings are running high; if the forum is to be salvaged, something must be done asap. I'm up for tomorrow, in fact.

Admin, Mods, Stuart, can you suggest a time?
mosy

Re: STF users meeting

Post by mosy »

If we are talking about the same thing, it was Dom Johnston who was interested in hearing views about the forum and possible enhancements who recently said that as he'd just moved in a future date would be proposed by him, admin consenting.

If you are talking about a different meeting, or one you are instigating, I have no knowledge.
JRW

Post by JRW »

I am not trying to usurp Dom's role; I just want to get things moving as recent events have changed the landscape rather. I am not sure I will stay on the site otherwise, as it has all gone horribly toxiç. If we wait much longer, the tumbleweed will be rolling.
mosy

Post by mosy »

In that case, your reasons for a meeting are different from those proposed by Dom Johnston, so you should perhaps suggest one of your own.

I think damage done is done and I hope the relevant ears have heard comments made.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

What happened?
mosy

Post by mosy »

Bensonby, I will take it upon myself to reply in the generality and will of course stand corrected. Certain people were unhappy with certain other people's posts and a lack of moderation intervention or what some see as questionable has given rise to disgruntlement. I should add, in reference to more than one particular occasion recently.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Tim Lund, if I may, the question that arose about your anti-Brexit campaign meeting post was that it was written as if it were a local meeting or rally when in fact it was nothing of the sort, being a national campaign with nothing to do with Sydenham so was simply political campaigning, hence being questioned by several as to whether it should have been posted in the Town Hall and worse being allowed by Admin to stand, even being falsely justified, when even you knew it shouldn't have been and said as much in your initial post. Let's not rewrite history eh?
michael

Post by michael »

First rule of Sydenham fight club:
stuart wrote:Can we please end this sad episode and move on.
JRW

Post by JRW »

So Stuart, does that mean you don't want a meeting? You will be glad to know that, if not, I will be thinking about stopping using the site. Such a shame, the way things have gone, when the site had such potential.
starman

Post by starman »

michael wrote:First rule of Sydenham fight club:
Let's all make some soap.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JRW, the meeting will happen, but Dom J was (I thought) meant to be organising it. I will PM him and see if we can speed things up.
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

This site doesn’t seem toxic to me. People occasionally express differing views but that would seem to be the dictionary definition of a forum.
mosy

Post by mosy »

starman wrote:
Let's all make some soap.
Replying to above and TredownMan.
The making of soap (salt) was clearly done with a point in mind. Some of the problem is because Admin was asked repeatedly by soapmakers for clarification which was not forthcoming even though the question wasn't difficult hence exacerbated by Fight Club silence.

Admin, by all means delete this post, but I honestly don't think that some posters will be happy until given an assurance of seriously trying to be non-biased (in all things) and willingness to act when a need has been directly expressed to you, albeit with moderation decisions being final. Fight Club silence ain't gonna wash, however much soap is made.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Admin has stated that the meeting will happen. It takes a little time to locate suitable sound-proofed premises and someone adept with a bone saw.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Don't forget the vat of acid......
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

Hi all,

Yep, I am happy to arrange this. Apologies for the delay in getting something sorted out. It's been a hectic couple of weeks, moving in etc.

How do people feel about Wednesday evening this week at the Golden Lion?

Alternatively next Sunday? However, I do appreciate that this is quite far away.

Cheers,

Dom
JRW

Post by JRW »

Wednesday would be great, but Sunday is also ok for me. Hope you are settling in nicely!
Dom Johnston

Post by Dom Johnston »

getting there. Slowly but surely!

I'm free both Wednesday and Sunday too, so it depends on which is the most popular.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Here is a view that is out of step with some of the posts in this thread.

But typically conversely, let me agree with TredownMan, Michael and Stuart.
TredownMan wrote:This site doesn’t seem toxic to me.
Admin or Admins have dealt with an abusive series of posts that were at risk of overwhelming the board. Wisdom on the scale of King Solomon was necessarily applied and given their human frailties it did take more than one go to negotiate with a hostile owner of another site. This is noteworthy, that owner has now been excluded from three neighbouring boards.

For those who felt that the actions were unjustified or indeed lacked justice, I suggest that this myopia does not stand up to much scrutiny.

It is plain and evident, the other owner had repeatedly attempted to traduce inter alia, Stuart, Admin and me in very short, but not necessarily that, order. Having at once applied a goading technique and then posted his inaccurate recalls from his own board along with the voting record of his own moderators (how do they feel about that confidentiality being set aside), his postulations became sharper.

He posted a sixteen count "charge sheet" inclusive of one whopper in which he repeats an oft stated belief of his that I had threatened him and his moderators. For those of you who know his mods - ask them. It never happened. He dwells in his sense of victim-hood.

I did not make and will not make complaint about this action on this board as it is typical of the individual's dishonest and erratic behaviour. Those who know me personally (and there are a few of you) will know that threats are not something that is present in my make-up. I keep screenshots of all of the expostulations made by the individual. And inaccurate accusations are just that - and it is all like water off a duck's back for those instances.

So fairs fair - make complaint, discuss it at the meeting. You should also anticipate that some of the matters that have arisen here to be re-butted and not just by me.

Lastly I hold strongly to this view - as the board is, as I understand it, not owned by admin(s), their position is strengthened by their anonymity. Their position is balanced, relatively just and free of personal threats and opprobrium from those whose opinions differ. And they are human and with that comes degrees of imperfection - get used to it.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Dom Johnston wrote:How do people feel about Wednesday evening this week at the Golden Lion?

Alternatively next Sunday? However, I do appreciate that this is quite far away.
Both good for me with a preference for the afternoon if we move to Sunday. Neither seem a long way away.

Thank you for your efforts in this.