Worst local transport journeys?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Worst local transport journeys?

Post by mikej »

Inspired by a thread on the ED forum what's the worst localish journey by public transport?

Not bad one-off journeys (hello, Southern), weather-related (Boris sauna-bus) or redevelopment (London Bridge 2013 to 2017 inclusive and still having flashbacks), but journeys that are awful in their own right.

The number 176 from Tottenham Court Road to Cobb's Corner is convenient in that you don't need to change but you could literally get to Birmingham in the time it takes.
RJM

Re: Worst local transport journeys?

Post by RJM »

One of my most-hated is the Overground at rush hour (I normally go into London Bridge). You have to stand, it's unpleasantly hot by the time you get as far as Forest Hill and then you have to battle your way to a massive queue at Canada Water. London Bridge is more convenient for me anyway, but it's also a much more civilised journey!
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Any journey that takes you through the centre of Catford.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I occasionally have to do the 176 route end to end to get up to town. It's not that bad until you get up to the Aldwych and have to do the 2-and-a-half sides of a square thing: Strand, Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross Road, which has been hell ever since Ken redesigned the area round Trafalgar Square and halved the lanes of traffic. It's literally quicker to walk the last bit. Although since Sadiq introduced the Hoppa fare I have at least been able to change buses at Denmark Hill onto a 68 or something so can go straight up Kingsway and walk the rest, which is so much easier!
sydenhamgardener2

Post by sydenhamgardener2 »

The change into Jubilee line at rush hour. It is mad that only one escalator is in use for going down.
mikej

Post by mikej »

yes, the horror that is Canada Water...
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

The Victoria to London Bridge loop line must be up there, especially the almost daily announcements on the evening rush hour trains of- ‘due to the late running of this train this service is now fast from Crystal Palace to London Bridge, sorry for any inconvenience’....SUCKERS (well a driver never actually said that but should have!)

95% of the passengers would stomp of the train to wait for the next service to Sydenham, Forest Hill etc. and the empty train set off into the sunset for London Bridge, admittedly it’s not as bad now as the Overground option is available.

Overground to Canada Water, still not sure what bright spark thought only one down escalator would be a good idea, even at 6am there’s a bottleneck.
noangel

Post by noangel »

sydenhamgardener2 wrote:The change into Jubilee line at rush hour. It is mad that only one escalator is in use for going down.
There are two, but not a lot of people know about the second and crowd into the main one. I will share my secret route because not a lot people use this forum so it won't make much of difference to my journey.

The second escalator is at the end of the platform, on the right hand side. If you don't want to fight against the crowd going to the main escalator, get the first carriage on the Overground which stops right by the second escalator. You have to go up before you go down, but believe me, it's quicker than crowding on to that one escalator. After you go up the escalator you have a choice of walking down the stairs or take the escalator down. You then have another uncrowded, queue-less escalator. It also takes you an area of the Jubilee platform which isn't that busy. If I can't get a seat, I'm not crushed while standing.
stuart

Post by stuart »

sydenhamgardener2 wrote:The change into Jubilee line at rush hour. It is mad that only one escalator is in use for going down.
Yes, I was dreaming that would be an experience would be mitigated next month when Crossrail opening should have spread the interchange load up to Whitechapel, particulary for those going west. Another 9 months ...

Stuart
noangel

Post by noangel »

My journey is so hellish, I work from home most days.

I get the London Bridge - Victoria Southern train and then switch at Clapham Junction to finish my journey west. Sounds like a dream. It isn't, it's Southern. If that Victoria train is cancelled or is running fast through Sydenham, I have to somehow make it to Clapham Junction, which usually means ending up in Croydon to get a Victoria service from there. If I get to Clapham Junction and the next part of my journey is cancelled, I have an hour bus ride. Likewise, if there are any cancellations for the Victoria - London Bridge journey home but I usually jump on the whatever train is heading to Crystal Palace and make my way home from there.

It's got much better since Southern added the 10-15 minute wait at Crystal Palace in the mornings for the Victoria service. There are very little cancellations these days.
JayB

Post by JayB »

356 from Forest Hill Station to Bell Green -evry 30 minutes after 7 pm but not necessarily on time and no countdown on most stops.
Walking from Syd station ot the 220 bus stop with no shelter and waiting 20 mins for a bus home after a shift.
Ther fact none of our stations are well served by frequent reliable buses from Bell Green.
Southern trains full stop. (last night they cancelled the last train from East Croydon-Sydenham with no explanation/apology but you could easily give a fresh example each and every day.)
The congested interchange at Canada Water tha ttakes 10 mins at rush hour
Hopping straight on a jubilee line after work/a night out and speeding along thinking you'l lbe home soon then standing waiting for the overground at 10 pm plus ot see almost empty trains run through to CJ and NX only to wait 15 mins for a Croydon or CP service you can't get a seat on
176 Between 10 pm and 11pm from Waterloo- On wednesday two went right past as they were already full including people standing upsatirs- as they often are after midnight.
In fact some one at LT needs ot sort it out with a major review into SE London as this is all very second rate- especially for those of us who use it every day, six days a week, rain or snow, so see the abysmal qualiity and lose hours on lost time every week. If like my neighbour you only use a bus once a week to visit a relative, "but not if it rains", then obviously you might think it's OK
JayB

Post by JayB »

But on the bright side....meant ot say i have found changing at LB so much easier since the rebuild and now that the links are open to Charing X and to Farringdon and St Pancras it does make journeys into town much easier and feels as if we might actually live in London! LB station is a hige improvemnt so far on the unloved dump with its rickety gangway ot platforms 1-6 :roll: But Southern trains are far from relaible- Why are they canceleld at 5 min notice from showing on time- they can't suddenly disappear.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

JayB wrote:356 from Forest Hill Station to Bell Green -evry 30 minutes after 7 pm but not necessarily on time and no countdown on most stops.
If you save the URL for "live bus departures" in your phone you can get the countdown for any bus stop in London. Very useful:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/live-bus ... his-page-0
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Regarding the Canada Water interchange - it is often quicker to go into the ticket hall and back down to the Jubilee
syd-gal

Post by syd-gal »

I have a love/hate relationship with the 176, love it cos it goes to the centre of town, hate it that it takes forever.
The overground from Forest Hill to Canada Water and vice versa during rush hour.
The fact that Sydenham station is quite far from bus stops, so it is easier to go to Forest Hill by bus and take the train from there.
JayB

Post by JayB »

bensonby wrote:
JayB wrote:356 from Forest Hill Station to Bell Green -evry 30 minutes after 7 pm but not necessarily on time and no countdown on most stops.
If you save the URL for "live bus departures" in your phone you can get the countdown for any bus stop in London. Very useful:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/buses/live-bus ... his-page-0

Yes this link and the numerous apps based on it are useful thanks but the trouble is It does not work very well for this route as the bus is usually parked up with the engine off and therefore not transmitting its whereabouts because of the large intervals between services, both coming south and going north. Unfortunately FH station and Bell green are extremely close ot the starting points of route 356. So, you will see nothing dispalyed, set off walking and suddenly, 3 mins before the bus arrives, it appears as the engine is on and the system is transmitting.And, it doesn't necessarily run to the 30 mins intervals timetabled either. This is what imean about the experiences of those of us who are using the services 6 days a week being a little different.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

JayB wrote:It does not work very well for this route as the bus is usually parked up with the engine off and therefore not transmitting its whereabouts because of the large intervals between services, both coming south and going north. Unfortunately FH station and Bell green are extremely close ot the starting points of route 356. So, you will see nothing dispalyed, set off walking and suddenly, 3 mins before the bus arrives, it appears as the engine is on and the system is transmitting.And, it doesn't necessarily run to the 30 mins intervals timetabled either. This is what imean about the experiences of those of us who are using the services 6 days a week being a little different.
Hugely interesting point JayB - I have reported these gaps to TfL repeatedly - but my assumption had always been that there was a dead-spot in the transmission of data from that area.

To attribute it to something as simple as the bus and its engine being turned off is hugely inciteful.

Interestingly the 202 running through the same patch as where the 356's stable also have a frequent data gap which I cannot see being a result of the bus engine being turned off as they start their route at Crystal Palace.
Emc

Post by Emc »

Southern trains from Sydenham to London Bridge have given me meltdowns on a couple of occasions when I'm late for work or knackered on the way home and having to deal with last minute cancellations, endless delays and just going straight past Sydenham on the way home, meaning I've needed to get a taxi home.

The Overground at rush hour is equally stressful and I've seen people close to passing out in the summer.

My new favourite journey is travelling to London Bridge from Lower Sydenham and it's improved my life no end! Trains are quicker, on time, you get a seat... and then arrive at the beautiful London Bridge station. I highly recommend it!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Emc wrote:Southern trains from Sydenham to London Bridge have given me meltdowns on a couple of occasions when I'm late for work or knackered on the way home and having to deal with last minute cancellations, endless delays and just going straight past Sydenham on the way home, meaning I've needed to get a taxi home.

The Overground at rush hour is equally stressful and I've seen people close to passing out in the summer.

My new favourite journey is travelling to London Bridge from Lower Sydenham and it's improved my life no end! Trains are quicker, on time, you get a seat... and then arrive at the beautiful London Bridge station. I highly recommend it!

I must admit I prefer using Lower Sydenham over Sydenham. However, isn’t Lower Sydenham just over The Zone 4 border, and therefore more expensive to use to get to London? What’s the price difference? The extra chance of getting a seat and greater reliability may well be worth it.

I now commute in from Kent and always get a seat as it’s the end of the line. I must admit, despite having a lengthy commute, I use the journey as my “down time” and have worked my way through many films and box sets!
Emc

Post by Emc »

Yes it is more expensive. I've been swiping in with my debit card so far but I think they said the difference for a month pass return to London Bridge is about £95 for Sydenham or £130 for Lower Sydenham. (Or about £150 to just swipe as you please with a bank card).

I live half way between both stations so I've been taking it day by day and just checking departure times on the national rail app in the morning and the departure board in the evening to get the next available train. 90% of the time the next one is to/from Lower Sydenham so I guess there are more trains going through there.

I haven't bought the month tickets yet as it is a bit of a jump but seeing as it's a better and more regular service, I think it's probably worth the price difference.