Worst local transport journeys?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Re: Worst local transport journeys?

Post by JGD »

Emc

I thought it was the case that if you register your bank card with TfL - their period capping system kicked in and you could be assured that you would pay no more than the cheapest form of ticket purchase for that period, whether it was weekly or monthly.

I have not looked at it for some time, but it is my recall that the point at which you use your, say, debit card and that point of purchase takes you over the weekly price of a travel card, the cost to you is capped. Similarly if you then use it for a month, the monthly cap is applied.

It was intended to level the playing field and did not require the traveller to purchase their weekly or monthly card in advance.

Can anyone else confirm this system is still in place and if it works as advertised ?
Emc

Post by Emc »

Ah ok, in that case I'll get on and register my card! I also thought it was meant to be capped but just to a day travel card rate. But from adding up what's coming off my bank statement, it's definitely more than the monthly ticket from Lower Sydenham to London Bridge return... although possibly because I wasn't aware you have to register your card. Thanks for letting me know! :)
alywin

Post by alywin »

I must admit, one of the joys of commuting from Elmers End/Clock House was always that you could Get a Seat!

Of course, if you get the right trains from Sydenham, they will be the ones coming from Crystal Palace, which tend to be rather emptier.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

I started using Lower Sydenham when London Bridge was out of action. Prior to that I had always avoided it, because I didn't like the walk back from there at night. However, the difference between there and the shockingly unreliable services from Sydenham is so pronounced that I only ever go from there now. Not only are the train services much more dependable and on time, but it's just over 20 mins direct to Charing Cross.

I would love to see some attention given to making the area around Lower Syd station better lit and generally safer, as it is a fantastic local resource.

As to the matter of it being zone 4, I realised some time back that there was a campaign to re-Zone it to 3; it being one of several Lewisham stations that are not equivalent to their North London counterparts in this regard. I'll do so shortly in a separate thread, as it really merits attention.

As a side note, I also wish heartily that Tfl would change the temperature settings on the Overground in summer as the heat is unbearable. It could be solved by turning up the aircon, but I have enquired in the past and been told that the level it is set at is automatic.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Drat - the petition I was thinking of is now closed:

https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-no- ... ct-control

I did find more info on Lower Sydenham here, though possibly this is old news to most people:

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... ?AIId=9749

From the above link:

"Consideration should be given to the rezoning of stations on the new Bakerloo route, bringing more stations from charging zone 3 to zone 2 and from charging zone 4 to zone 3.

· The current location of Lower Sydenham station is recognised as unsuitable for connectivity with pedestrians and other forms of public transport. Further serious investigation should be carried out with regard to relocating the station to one or both sides of the bridge at Southend Lane at the junction with the current Hayes Line/future Bakerloo extension. Furthermore, the current bridge width is acknowledged to be too narrow and too low for both vehicles and pedestrians. The inevitable significant track and bridge works would present the ideal opportunity to relocate the station, thus enabling greater integration with pedestrian, bus and car traffic. The land available could also enable development advantages to the borough."

Any other info on this would be welcomed...
mikej

Post by mikej »

There was a plan also to move the station up (or should it be down?!) to the giant Sainsbury's.
Anyway, either idea would be a big improvement on the present siting of Lower Sydenham.

I don't think there's any likelihood of the widening of the bridge over Southend Lane. It doesn't fit with the policy of not encouraging motor traffic.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Really don’t feel safe interchanging at Brixton from Tube to rail station. Always troublemakers around, another incident / police tape the other day, and sexual harrassment is rife.

Never felt safe walking the “long wall” walk from Lower Sydenham either, but for a different reason - the sheer feeling of isolation.

London Bridge services seem to have been fine for me for ages. So not sure whether I’m unique. It’s so quick to London Bridge from Sydenham - I love it. Hate the E London Line - worked when I was dating someone along it but wrong destinations for me otherwise. Need London Bridge not Canada Water
RJM

Post by RJM »

Never felt safe walking the “long wall” walk from Lower Sydenham either, but for a different reason - the sheer feeling of isolation.
I don't like it either, the bad lighting doesn't help. I occasionally opt to bus back from Catford Bridge instead but trying to cross the road there isn't great as there isn't a proper crossing near the station. The underpass is also badly lit and often has men stopping to use a dark corner to relieve themselves :roll: which doesn't add to a feeling of safety... So I go for Lower Syd despite not liking the walk!
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Pretty sure this item is not in line with the OP's original intent - but it has some relevance.
Commuting can be a nightmare for all sorts of reasons, delays, cost, but what do you do when all your fellow commuters are coughing all over you?
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1724 ... r-commute/
alywin

Post by alywin »

Hissing Syd wrote:I started using Lower Sydenham when London Bridge was out of action. Prior to that I had always avoided it, because I didn't like the walk back from there at night. However, the difference between there and the shockingly unreliable services from Sydenham is so pronounced that I only ever go from there now. Not only are the train services much more dependable and on time, but it's just over 20 mins direct to Charing Cross.
And there's me complaining because the time Elmers End to Charing Cross has gone up from 26 to 32 minutes :(
Emc

Post by Emc »

The lighting isn't great from Lower Sydenham but I feel safe walking back. There's always a train full of people walkig down the street with you, so there's safety in numbers at least!
JayB

Post by JayB »

Emc wrote:The lighting isn't great from Lower Sydenham but I feel safe walking back. There's always a train full of people walkig down the street with you, so there's safety in numbers at least!
But not late at night- it is completely deserted down to Southend Lane.Lots of local people avoid this route precisely because of this which is a shame as it could be the better option for many people at our end of Sydenham. . Oh and the bus is only every 30 mins in the evening and it's yet another local station wihtout a sheltered bus stop right outside-(yes i am aware some people supposedly think the buses are all just wonderful but we certainly don't and have never lived anywhere in London with this low level of service,) yet another oversight from TFL who don't seem to do joined up thinking for this corenr of the capital.. So Catford is better but as has been said a lot of people do not like using the underpass/public toilet late at night. Can it be acceptable to dissuade/disenfranchise so many of the population to go out after dark?
Parkrunner

Post by Parkrunner »

I guess the fact there are so many 'worst journeys' that have been offered up here only serves to demonstrate how well provided for we are when it comes to public transport :lol: