Burglary - Knighton Park Rd

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
BB_KPR

Burglary - Knighton Park Rd

Post by BB_KPR »

Hi all,

New to the area and have just moved to Knighton Park Rd.
Yesterday our neighbour had a break in through a ground floor window at the back of the house (thief had maybe come over the side gate) and various items were stolen. It looks like her movements were being watched so just a word of warning!

Thanks,
Tom
John H

Re: Burglary - Knighton Park Rd

Post by John H »

an attempt was recently made on a house in Trewsbury Road. Double glazing is perhaps a deterrent. However... there is a hostel for young offenders hiding in Trewsbury Road...
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Thank you for flagging this, and welcome to the area - hopefully this will soon be eclipsed by better local news and experiences!
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

There was a burglary in Tannsfeld Road last week. Broke in by smashing the window next to the front door (owner mentioned on Girton & Tannsfeld FB group)
dcjprior

Post by dcjprior »

John H wrote: 22 Feb 2019 01:00 However... there is a hostel for young offenders hiding in Trewsbury Road...
As a Trewsbury Road resident, this is the first I've heard of this. Is this actually the case?
HappySyd

Post by HappySyd »

There was a burglary was on Girton Road last week.
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

Ah, apologies. Not sure why I assumed was Tannsfeld
John H

Post by John H »

dcjprior wrote: 27 Feb 2019 14:36
John H wrote: 22 Feb 2019 01:00 However... there is a hostel for young offenders hiding in Trewsbury Road...
As a Trewsbury Road resident, this is the first I've heard of this. Is this actually the case?
Well the inhabitants of the premises would certainly suggest it is the case.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Evening - we were unfortunately burgled today, on Crystal Palace Park Road.

Took a handheld Dyson, laptop and champagne amongst other jewellery and cash.

Be vigilant all, these were obviously experts looking at the focus of their search and probably monitored our movements.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

So sorry to hear about these horrible incidents, how did they gain entry?

I would appreciate any tips as to how to avoid this happening to me
Macca

Post by Macca »

I’ve since learnt from the police that there were two burglaries on the same day on the same road - 2 houses apart!

Ensuring you’ve a really good deadbolt lock that you use is critical and that the door frame is sturdy enough to hold against a humans weight if you ram it.

I’ve also decided to personally invest in a £25 motion sensor camera that will be put on every time we leave and we’ll get notifications of movement and a short clip of the movement sent to our phones.

It seems the places were monitored for the comings and goings of the inhabitants.
John H

Post by John H »

I come from what was the lock making capital of the world (until we joined the EEC/EU which wiped the industry out).

Chubb's had a saying. "The best lock we manufacture (even the most sophisticated electronic locks) will keep an honest man out.

Given that it takes only moments to break through a wall with a sledgehammer I think this puts the issue into context.

The thing most likely to put burglars off is unpredictable movements. Macca says they have installed a motion sensor camera for when they are out. That simply tells the burglar WHEN you are out.

Net curtains help to conceal whether or not anyone is in. Curtains drawn behind them cannot be seen and a light can be left on that can only be seen when it is dark. Automated devices that turn lights on and off are easily rumbled. However, if you have a habit of leaving at least one light on at night, the burglar cannot be sure. If the light happens to be the landing light then it adds to safety in the home. The modern trend towards oversize venetian blinds is no substitute.

One house, in Knighton Park Road, has spikes installed above the gateway... I have been advised you can face action if a burglar injures him/herself on such spikes BUT thorns on rose bushes etc. do the same job without that risk. Fences that are difficult to climb over are most certainly a deterrent. All you can do is place obstacles in the way and hope the delay is sufficient to put the burglar off. The nature of these incidents suggests to me, however, these were the work of an opportunist and probably someone with an anti-social habit to feed.

I have a dog... Quite a few of us do. Dogs are a wonderful deterrent.
carty

Post by carty »

Macca, we are not too far from you and about three weeks ago the same thing happened to us.

Alcohol, jewellery and cash.
John H

Post by John H »

The first break-ins... Trewsbury Road were in the day time. Have the others been (in which case, of course, they are not burglaries but housebreak-ins).

There is a purpose to my question. I have a theory....
Macca

Post by Macca »

Both the burglaries on Crystal Palace Park Road were during the day time.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, will spend some time considering how to do more to prevent a re-occurrence.
John H

Post by John H »

I thought so. I suspect a link with a certain tradesperson. There has been a change of personalities recently. It would not be fair to say more.
dingdongdead

Post by dingdongdead »

John H wrote: 25 Mar 2019 22:22 I thought so. I suspect a link with a certain tradesperson. There has been a change of personalities recently. It would not be fair to say more.
More details please? My neighbour who got burgled suspects a similar thing. She had a tradesman come round, do some work, then she noticed the security light wiring had been pulled out, then she got burgled.
John H

Post by John H »

dingdongdead wrote: 26 Mar 2019 10:13
John H wrote: 25 Mar 2019 22:22 I thought so. I suspect a link with a certain tradesperson. There has been a change of personalities recently. It would not be fair to say more.
More details please? My neighbour who got burgled suspects a similar thing. She had a tradesman come round, do some work, then she noticed the security light wiring had been pulled out, then she got burgled.
I cannot comment. Just think about someone who regularly provides a service and then note whether or not that service is now provided by the same person or persons.
Macca

Post by Macca »

I’m not sure who this would be for us, but it could be related to neighbours tradespeople as well I guess...
John H

Post by John H »

Macca wrote: 28 Mar 2019 17:15
I’m not sure who this would be for us, but it could be related to neighbours tradespeople as well I guess...
Quite