Moving to Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pally

Re: Moving to Sydenham

Post by Pally »

Dolphin Gardens great for this on nice summer evening!
2lai

Post by 2lai »

Hello all,

I just wanted to say thank you again for your super useful advice and comments. My perception from the lively discussion is that there are many advantages to moving to Sydenham, while some of those trying to 'scare' people away were rather thin on the evidence :) with the exception of the posts presenting the crime stats - which of course I had checked, but we all know that different types of crime affect people differently (see knife crime for instance).That is why I was interested in your personal experience and your 'feel' of the area (more than the stats).
The other thing that has been really useful to read in your comments are the suggestions re. cafes, bookshops, pubs, etc. So thank you for that too!
We might indeed move over the summer, so I will keep you posted! And once we are there it would be great to meet people living in the area.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi 2lai. Glad to hear you haven't been put off. I like living here so my views will be biased. Objectively, you could sit in a cafe window seat and watch the world go by for a while. You'll see a wholly mixed bunch of people and lots of life on Sydenham Road during the day, so not a deserted commuter location, but is quiet in the evenings generally although Sydenham is a stone's throw from e.g. Beckham, Bromley, Penge, Crystal Palace, Dulwich for more night time variety.

Sydenham has its own history too, so it makes one feel as if part of something. Hard to explain, but have a look at this forum's Town Museum and Gallery and you'll start to feel the passion some have for the place, perhaps despite its shortcomings but who wants to live in a perfect sterile environment?

Hope all goes well with your moving plans and just ask on here abut anything.
milton

Post by milton »

while some of those trying to 'scare' people away were rather thin on the evidence
I, & my family, have all moved away from SE26 where we were born, how is that 'thin' evidence? and back then the crime rate was nothing like todays.

How many of those who are here extoling the virtues of SE26 have lived there all their lives since birth? A poll would be interesting.

But Sydenham is a bit better I grant than a lot of London suburbia, wouldn't ever want to live there. Good luck house hunting, I'd still avoid Hazel Grove.

.....and anywhere within 1/4 mile of Cobbs corner after reading threads passim on here.

I had experience of bass notes shaking the windows at 3am thanks. :roll:
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

2lai - Another nice insight into should be the upcoming bumper edition of the Lewisham Ledger which has a special feature coverings Sydenham.

I believe a lot of the issues over the past years regarding noise where secondary to the former Zanzibar nightclub at Cobbs Corner which has been closed for sometime now, however I gather/assume there are still occasional loud house parties from time to time that happen to occur more in certain areas than others.
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

milton wrote: 24 May 2019 19:48
while some of those trying to 'scare' people away were rather thin on the evidence
I, & my family, have all moved away from SE26 where we were born, how is that 'thin' evidence? and back then the crime rate was nothing like todays.

How many of those who are here extoling the virtues of SE26 have lived there all their lives since birth? A poll would be interesting.

But Sydenham is a bit better I grant than a lot of London suburbia, wouldn't ever want to live there. Good luck house hunting, I'd still avoid Hazel Grove.

.....and anywhere within 1/4 mile of Cobbs corner after reading threads passim on here.

I had experience of bass notes shaking the windows at 3am thanks. :roll:
By 'thin' evidence, I think they are referring to the fact you haven't lived here for over 30 years mate.
milton

Post by milton »

The point of my "thin" evidence is that it was so bad 30yrs ago I upped and got out . From my regular reading of the moans groans and complaints on here, and the odd trip down Kirkdale and Sydenham road via google street to marvel at the variety of fastfood joints,closed pubs and shops, graffiti, traffic lights and overdeveloped sites I can see no reason to believe its got any better.

As you probably did not grow up in the 1950s/60s or even 70s you have nothing to compare with.

A few bus routes and trains to Victoria do not make a place desirable. No matter how hard you try to convince others.
stuart

Post by stuart »

milton wrote: 25 May 2019 16:44The point of my "thin" evidence is that it was so bad 30yrs ago I upped and got out . From my regular reading of the moans groans and complaints on here, and the odd trip down Kirkdale and Sydenham road via google street to marvel at the variety of fastfood joints,closed pubs and shops, graffiti, traffic lights and overdeveloped sites I can see no reason to believe its got any better.

As you probably did not grow up in the 1950s/60s or even 70s you have nothing to compare with.
Yes, I've lived here only 35 years and choose to continue to live here so what do I know? Not that it matters to newcomers what Sydenham was like 35 years ago - or even 5. The only time that matters to people here and incoming is now and the future. They, Milton, are a different generation and they even see a different Sydenham to me.

I would argue their observations of today's Sydenham are of greater value than mine. And mine greater than yours?

Stuart
Ghlpc

Post by Ghlpc »

milton wrote: 25 May 2019 16:44 The point of my "thin" evidence is that it was so bad 30yrs ago I upped and got out . From my regular reading of the moans groans and complaints on here, and the odd trip down Kirkdale and Sydenham road via google street to marvel at the variety of fastfood joints,closed pubs and shops, graffiti, traffic lights and overdeveloped sites I can see no reason to believe its got any better.

A few bus routes and trains to Victoria do not make a place desirable. No matter how hard you try to convince others.
Well, I suppose the original poster can decide whether they take serious the views of someone who base their judgment on an area via Google maps and an online forum.

Anyway I've been in and around the area for nearly 30 now. We all have our own criteria on what we deem a good/safe place to live. Sydenham has improved greatly in that time, especially so in the 5/6 years, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I wasn't around in the decades you mentioned, but man the 60's looked cool....!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

And obviously there will be people on a Newbury forum, based on views gleaned from Google Maps, saying just how awful Newbury is compared with the good old days when the likes of Milton moved there...
Sideofham

Post by Sideofham »

Ghlpc wrote: 26 May 2019 08:16
milton wrote: 25 May 2019 16:44 The point of my "thin" evidence is that it was so bad 30yrs ago I upped and got out . From my regular reading of the moans groans and complaints on here, and the odd trip down Kirkdale and Sydenham road via google street to marvel at the variety of fastfood joints,closed pubs and shops, graffiti, traffic lights and overdeveloped sites I can see no reason to believe its got any better.

Well, I suppose the original poster can decide whether they take serious the views of someone who base their judgment on an area via Google maps and an online forum.

Anyway I've been in and around the area for nearly 30 now. We all have our own criteria on what we deem a good/safe place to live. Sydenham has improved greatly in that time, especially so in the 5/6 years, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I wasn't around in the decades you mentioned, but man the 60's looked cool....!
COOL!!!! I'll give you cool, I bet you didn't grow up in the 1910s/ 20s or even 30s but Sydenham in the 60s was just a lot of longhaired, unwashed layabouts playing the bongos and smoking those "herbal cigarettes, orrible it was.
Sydering

Post by Sydering »

Dom Johnston wrote: 21 May 2019 07:20 Hi Sydering,

Had you not said that you went to Paddington yesterday, I would've been convinced that you were my wife as your situation is identical to ours!

I think it would be great for residents to do something. New and Old.

We did have one meeting with a few people on ways to improve the forum and make it more user friendly, but since we have had a baby, it's been tricky to get something else arranged to follow up on that.

We have some wonderful pubs in Sydenham so I think it would be great if we could have something in place where, if people can make it, great, if not, hopefully they can attend the next time. Just to get together, have a couple of drinks in the sunshine and build a network!

2Lai, I hope you can see from people who still live in Sydenham and didn't move away 30+ years ago, it is a fantastic place to live!!
Haha, I can confirm, I have no newborn :) Congratulations though!

I'd be happy to meet some new people and build up a network round here. Sydenham has some great pubs and restaurants and it'd be good to set up an informal get together. People could come and go as they please. We could do it monthly, every other month etc, and vary the locale to cater for all. I think with kids and parents in mind, we could do a Saturday afternoon, say 5pm and then people could come and go as they please?

Is there interest for this from the crowd?
Sydering

Post by Sydering »

buzzbee wrote: 22 May 2019 19:07
Sydering wrote: 20 May 2019 22:04
2lai wrote: 13 May 2019 19:13 Hello all,
My husband and I are hoping move to Sydenham from Peckham, where we have lived for years now. We like Sydenham and its green areas, and moving here would allow us to stay in South East London, which we would really like for family and work reasons. We just wondering what you thought about the area around Hazel Grove/Laurel Grove? It seems very convenient (10 minutes from Sydenham station and not too far from Lower Sydenham either), but is it unsafe? The main road especially has a few car shops where I imagine it gets dark and deserted after a certain hour - how safe is it to walk past at night?
Also, is there anyone else who has recently moved to Sydenham and has tips for newcomers? :D

Thank you in advance! And thank you in general for this forum, it has a lot of useful information on the neighbourhood!
Hi 2lai,

I hope to share some perspective.

I moved from East Dulwich, where I spent 8 years, to Sydenham, last year. I love it.

My husband and I were in exactly the same position as yourselves. We had made a home in East Dulwich (rented) but could afford so much more in Sydenham. We made the move and didn't even question it, as we loved it. We're more to the Bell Green end, but we have so much more for our money. Where we are placed, we are 10/15 minutes walk to Sydenham/Lower Sydenham, which are much more convenient than East Dulwich. Also, this morning I managed to get to Paddington in 50 minutes > Sydenham (overground) > London Bridge (jubilee line) > Baker St (bakerloo line) > Paddington. I was dissapointed I couldn't stay longer at home, had I had known!

As for safety, I walked rather 'happy' from Sydenham, and had no problems. I will be honest and say, when I first moved here, it took me months to adjust, as I never felt safe. Now, I feel so much safer! My neighbour in East Dulwich was recently mugged, so I don't think you can pin point it to an area.

As for neighbourhood, shall we set up a monthly drinks event? Dom Johnston - I've been meaning to contact you about this, as I'd love to meet new people. I saw your post on ED Forum and wanted to make contact earlier. Anyone interested?
@Sydering you beat me to it! I was going to suggest this too as I've seen the Forest Hill lot have had a couple of 'meet the neighbours' type events. I'd be up for doing this/helping organise. Love The Greyhound but on a nice night the gardens of The Dolphin would be lush.
Well let's do it! I'll be honest, I don't fancy organising this on my own, so the more the merrier. That and I can barely organise my work/life, let alone anything else :D

Anyone other volunteers? I'll set up a separate thread for details etc, should this get popular.
Sydering

Post by Sydering »

RJM wrote: 21 May 2019 08:26 I'd be interested in a drinks event - it would be great to meet some more people in the area! Due to working in central London and having non-local things on several evenings a week, that's one thing we've not managed to do as much of as we'd like :D
Excellent, you're conscripted!