Cox's Walk footbridge

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
maestro

Cox's Walk footbridge

Post by maestro »

Dispute over historic trees which Southwark Council intend to remove..

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1787 ... -sydenham/
JMLF

Re: Cox's Walk footbridge

Post by JMLF »

Here is the petition for anyone interested in signing:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... -oak-trees
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Do those supporting this petition actually want the footbridge to close?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

If the info on the petition site is true it appears essentially:
1. The trees don’t need to be felled for the works to be done
2. The trees aren’t the cause of the damage to the bridge/works that need to be done and therefore again don’t need to be removed as a necessity

Obviously there will be increased costs/time for doing the repairs without removing the trees and perhaps by what’s reported the council haven’t assessed all aspects of the cause/need for repair and above that looks like they are doing more invasive works than was reported needed by the assessment. That’s what I can gather from the easily accessible information and doubt anyone wants the bridge to close permanently as it’s a useful thoroughfare and a bit of a historical piece with the old railway line/Camille Pisarro’s art.

Hopefully someone involved with the campaign might pop on here to answer any queries anyone has.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Why should anyone think Southwark Council is not mitigating the loss of two trees most effectively by planting a whole lot more? Is it possible to compare the professional expertise of the Council officers concerned and the petitioners. Have we, or have we not, had enough of experts?

If we wanted to have the bridge as it was when Pisarro painted it, we'd get rid of all the trees!
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Well possibly because gov officials cannot always be trusted, particularly in recent years when under so much financial pressure.
I’ve signed, as it helps to ensure the detail is flushed out; and I guess in doing so, I’ve trusted those that have bothered to put the petition together, to have reasonably researched the matter.
I’d rather that, than wish I had signed - it then being too late for the trees.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Am I reading this right? Two 100 yr-old stately oak trees that could live to 300+ years are going to be cut down even though not diseased or causing damage simply because the council finds it more convenient and beyond their wit to find another way of working with nature to repair a manmade footbridge?

If so, I'm speechless.
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

I was there last weekend. There's information about it by the entrance to the woods. We walked down to the bridge and when you see the oaks they are beautiful and home to wildlife.
I've signed and hope that the council think again. If they were in a conservation area they'd have a TPO on them.
Would be a great shame to lose them.
mosy

Post by mosy »

One thing that bothers me is that old trees have learned to live with our relatively poisonous air. Is there any evidence that new replacement trees planted even survive or how many of them do?

The council really ought to be able to mend the bridge without such drastic action.
I've signed the petition:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... -oak-trees
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

The footpath and the appeal to save the oak trees on the Dulwich side of the footpath was on BBC London News tonight.

https://youtu.be/GHyNczKsHS0