New houses

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Growsydenham

New houses

Post by Growsydenham »

Sounds good to me. I'll be writing to the council to support these. The council really do pay attention to letters of support, if you've ever considered it.

http://www.sydenhamsociety.com/2019/08/ ... ayow-road/
angela53

Re: New houses

Post by angela53 »

I too support this project
TredownMan

Post by TredownMan »

Great news. I've just sent in my message of support - took less than a minute.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Looks like flats rather than houses to me?
hotterthanurex

Post by hotterthanurex »

I live opposite the proposed development and in theory support it as it does seem to be in keeping with the houses around it (although i'll miss the lovely school building) and not covered in blergh cladding. Worried how little parking spaces have been allocated though -- it's already tough to park on Wynell Road and Mayow. Not sure what 'affordable' actually means either. It's probably not the social housing that Lewisham desperately needs. Anyway, I'll write to the council and include these points. Thanks for reminding me.
prince

Post by prince »

I’ve looked at the docs.

The proposal is that the development will be car free.

34% of the units will be “affordable”. Of the affordable homes just over half (55%) will be affordable rent and just under half (45%) will be shared ownership.

Affordable rent is usually about 80% of market rent and is therefore far less affordable than social rent which is about 50% of market rent.
JRW

Post by JRW »

And the public transport needs a serious rethink given the volume of plans for new car-less developments on Mayow. Car clubs could be start towards making it work?
alywin

Post by alywin »

Is this the site somewhere on the other side from the school which has already been levelled?

I note from the picture that they might well loom over the houses on the side road opposite them: Bromley might find this objectionable, but I don't know about Lewisham.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Bromley??? But this is on Mayow Road, a couple of km from the Bromley border!!
RJM

Post by RJM »

alywin wrote: 12 Sep 2019 15:22 Is this the site somewhere on the other side from the school which has already been levelled?

I note from the picture that they might well loom over the houses on the side road opposite them: Bromley might find this objectionable, but I don't know about Lewisham.
It's further up Mayow Road, towards the Perry Vale end. The (former?) warehouse opposite the levelled school is by Mayow Park, which has a different set of plans for it. It's a bit confusing with former schools on Mayow at the moment!
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

Given the air quality and climate crisis, building dense car free sites close to good transport links is exactly the way forward. Planning neighbourhoods around where people can store their automobiles - a minority pursuit - is very much 1960s thinking and it’s good it’s on the way out
alywin

Post by alywin »

mikej wrote: 12 Sep 2019 15:38 Bromley??? But this is on Mayow Road, a couple of km from the Bromley border!!
Which is why I said I don't know what Lewisham's attitude would be :)
Nic

Post by Nic »

prince

Post by prince »

:!:
Nic wrote: 6 Nov 2019 10:28 Planning application approved - https://lewisham.gov.uk/articles/news/p ... perry-vale
That’s another application I think, there are two.
Growsydenham

Post by Growsydenham »

Yes a different site - the warehouse rather than the school - but good news nonetheless.

Also: a planning application has been submitted to convert the Regency snooker club and office complex on Spring Hill/Cobbs Corner into a housing. looks very smart. The photos on the application really bring out what a state of neglect the building is in.

Application is DC/19/114157
alywin

Post by alywin »

Thank goodness I never set up my office there, then!